U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Barb, I agree but I like to read them cause they are fun...It is interesting to see what makes this or that the perfect place to retire, to get a job, to travel to, whatever and then see the list change the next time around.
They've already rated every state of the Union among the top 10, more than several times over, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:47 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I noticed that as well; brutally cold winters and most with property tax rates that would stun most anyone.

Anywhere I can retire, and never see another snow flake, is a top rated place in my book.
Me too! Hence, my name

There can be no perfect list, because we're all individuals with very different ideas of what the perfect place is.

I want to be able to go outside year-round, and don't care about cultural activities. Someone else would hate where I live because of the lack of cultural activities. One size don't fit all.

And I also really hate websites that make you click away layers of junk in order to read their articles. I refuse to play.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:41 AM

8,858 posts, read 7,740,377 times
You've got to consider the source when you look at these articles. Kiplingers would probably be worth the time and trouble. Money magazine? Forget it. 20 years ago we lived in Goldsboro, NC. That city along with 4 other NC cities were ranked one year as the best cities to live in America. Clearly, someone got paid or bribed for that listing. We could not wait to get out of Goldsboro. The schools were some of the worst in the country, the crime problem was serious and the people were really hostile to outsiders. So consider the sources. In some cases, I could also easily believe they gave some intern the job or writing and researching the article.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 AM
mlb

3,199 posts, read 2,868,733 times
Yup. Clickbait.

If you do not fall into the local "demographics" Utah can be hell to live in.

They just don't do poor people well.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:10 AM

34,713 posts, read 33,745,076 times
The "best cities for retirement" are the ones in which their magazine advertisers can sell something.

Also, before you buy any book about retirement, read the "about the author" page and try to find one who lives in an environment just like your own. Big city authors, for example, don't have a clue about what floats the boat of small town people and not only would they not tout a a retirement that small town folks would like but it probably wouldn't even be on their radar screen as something they should even address.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:57 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,347,727 times
Also, many of these "best" and "worst" lists depend upon the retirees' income level. Higher income retirees are going to have different wants/need than lower income retirees because their circumstances are different. Does a retired couple that has only SS and limited investments/savings really care that there's not easy air connections to other cities?

Old 02-14-2015, 01:59 PM

2,867 posts, read 2,993,443 times
Grew up in Vermont. I would think of Vermont as an expensive place to retire. You need $$$ to be comfortable. And in northern New England you must LOVE snow. And long winters. Some do. More power to them.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:36 PM

30,722 posts, read 49,529,915 times
I think that every author who writes these types of articles, has their own opinions that can vary a great deal.

A low income retiree looks at things differently from how a more wealthy retiree does.

Some people care about the heat, others care about the cold, just as how some focus on crime, and others on Cost-Of-Living.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,042,214 times
I wonder what those people are smoking.

I haven't had to deal with snow in 42 years, and I don't miss it.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Yes, I agree. There are so many studies about the places to best retire in.

Best and worst states to grow old in
I'll save you the trouble of getting sucked into thie %&@# clickathon.

Best 7:

UT NH HI VT VA MN CO

Worst 7:

MS LA WV AR NV TN NM

I guess if you retire in Bristol, make sure you're on the Virginia side of the state line, not Tennessee.

Their main criteria? The best states are the ones with the richest retirees who (survey sez) are living the good life, and the worst are the ones with the poorest retirees, for whom life sucks. In other words, the richer the retirees are, the better off they are. Big surprise.

Don't waste your time (lots of it) going to the article in a publication styled for a readership of rich investors.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-18-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or