U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:59 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, the article did come across as a bit ticked off, although mostly it came off as a bit of a rage against "them" telling everyone else what they are supposed to wear.

I'm not sure about the "no-no" on seasonal clothing, though. I think there should be an exception made for really tacky seasonal stuff. That's the whole point of many Christmas sweaters, isn't it?
I don't know.

I love seasonal sweaters, especially things such as a crocheted black sweater with beautiful delicate metallic thread snowflakes.

I also know a lot of teachers who like to wear seasonal sweaters to work as the students enjoy them and they are very festive.

I have never "gotten" the ugly sweater thing . . . if it is ugly, I would not want it even as a joke. I have been surprised at the very expensive/attractive sweaters I have seen over the years being lumped into the category of "ugly sweaters."

There is a big difference between a T shirt w/ a deer head and a light up nose on it and a Ralph Lauren hand knitted tartan style sweater with velvet ribbon and buttons in the shape of bells, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 02:47 PM

16,355 posts, read 10,343,687 times
That's the point tho'. If you like holiday sweaters, wear them!

If someone thinks they're tacky that's their problem. I have an eeyore sweatshirt with eeyore's front on the front and eeyore's back on the back. I love it. I wear it.

Some people laugh. some people (especially younger ones) look at me like I'm crazy.

When I went to school the school and my parents told me what to wear.
When I got a job, my bosses told me what to wear.
I'm now retired and wear what I want.
As I said earlier, comfortable and clean are all that's required.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:51 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I just had my dyed blonde hair streaked blue.
HA!
I've had royal blue streaks in my long hair for about a decade.
Twenty-first century version of the blue-haired senior.

As for clothes and attitude ... levis, t-shirts, and birks.
If I'm comfortable in my clothes, I have the right attitude.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:43 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
EXACTLY....and why I posted the article. Seems like many just look at pictures and don't read content.
Polyester, elastic waist, white tennis shoes, too much black, bowl-cut bob, helmet hair, too much makeup, fake tan, bleached hair and holiday sweaters (or not).

Good try, no kudzu.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:09 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
The women in the black dress and hat looks like a witch in costume; if that is a example of the advice.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Not to harsh anyone's mellow, but why does this article/thread just address "mature women" and not "mature men"?
Does style/attitude apply to only one gender?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:56 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,777,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
I don't know.

I love seasonal sweaters, especially things such as a crocheted black sweater with beautiful delicate metallic thread snowflakes.

I also know a lot of teachers who like to wear seasonal sweaters to work as the students enjoy them and they are very festive.

I have never "gotten" the ugly sweater thing . . . if it is ugly, I would not want it even as a joke. I have been surprised at the very expensive/attractive sweaters I have seen over the years being lumped into the category of "ugly sweaters."

There is a big difference between a T shirt w/ a deer head and a light up nose on it and a Ralph Lauren hand knitted tartan style sweater with velvet ribbon and buttons in the shape of bells, lol.

I like sweaters , but I much prefer a screamer or a moaner ha ha ha .

someone gave Marilyn and I matching Christmas sweaters a few years ago as a gift.

I would wear them together but she is to chicken and can just hear the kids cracking up looking at us dressed alike.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:24 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I like sweaters , but I much prefer a screamer or a moaner ha ha ha .

someone gave Marilyn and I matching Christmas sweaters a few years ago as a gift.

I would wear them together but she is to chicken and can just hear the kids cracking up looking at us dressed alike.
LOL @ "screamer or moaner". You crack me up.

I see this at work all the time. Older couples dressed alike. I often wonder why.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:32 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Not to harsh anyone's mellow, but why does this article/thread just address "mature women" and not "mature men"?
Does style/attitude apply to only one gender?
I don't see any problem with the article's choice to address only one aspect of style/attitude, namely as it applies to "mature women". But of course it's clear that "mature men" can also dress in tacky, frumpy, slovenly styles and have various attitude problems. As I posted previously, I think the style business is simpler for us men, and I also think we tend to give it a lot less thought (for better or for worse!).

Why don't you start your own thread? It could be called something like "Dress style and attitude problems among older men".

Old 02-18-2015, 03:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Nothing screams 'I gave up' like elastic waist pants and a bowl-cut bob. Throw in white sneakers and alrighty!
I don't ever see a woman in a bowl-cut bob. What kind of woman is likely to choose that anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or