U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 AM

12,705 posts, read 9,972,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Has anyone here put off travel for retirement and had it work out?.....Encouraging stories welcome

I'm deciding and pondering now -- how I feel about travel now, versus later, in retirement ... I'm 54 and hope to retire no later than 65. I'm really not anxious to spend money that could be saved/invested/put aside for retirement, which can't come soon enough. I see any major money spent now on a trip, as DELAYING my retirement. And I REALLY want to retire.

I did travel a bit in college and grad school...lived abroad, and traveled while over seas, and did some other travel: Russia, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Jamaica, Israel and several other places, and more a dozen U.S. states.....so it's not like I've never been anywhere.

On one hand: I've never let thoughts of how to pay for it stop me from going anywhere I was "dying" to go (I put Israel on my CC for example.) But now I hem-and-haw, and say I'd like to go somewhere ...... but never pull the trigger and DO it.

So now at 54, I say i really would like to go to Australia/New Zealand, Scandanavia, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada (the short list.) But I'm so obsessed with retirement...and I just can't pull the trigger on spending minimum 3K on a trip when that could go toward my retirement....OR at least mentally help me get through the next 10-years until retirement. For example I am spending $500 on an annual get-away weekend with three college friends. Other than that and family reunions, which usually cost about $750-$1000, depending on where they're held....I just don't want to give up any more money for some trip.....there's no place that's worth spending 3-5K that could go toward retirement...or pay for the next FIVE YEARS of smaller trips.

I sort of feel like. "Yeah I'd LIKE to go to Australia, or Canada or Alaska.....but I'm 54 and haven't been yet...so if I never get there....oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be, much as I would have enjoyed it. I really want to retire, see want I have money and income-wise, and then travel once I know what I'm dealing with. That's what I'm thinking now. I know health issues could interfere with that -- but like I said: oh well....
Why do you want to retire early? Presumably there is some activity "X" that you think you'd really enjoy, and that work interferes with.

The question you should ask yourself (which no one but you can answer) is which you enjoy more, travel or "X"? You set your priorities first, whatever they may be, and then act accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
If I had more money I would travel more. It is what it is. I won't regret something that was not possible for me to do while maintaining a responsible way of living and saving for my wife who is likely to outlive me.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,173,173 times
I think the main thing discouraging about travel to other countries is flying. Sore knees, sore backs, difficulty standing in long lineups, having to walk for long distances pulling suitcases, confusion on what gate to be at, having to hop on trains between terminals, being disoriented in a huge unfamiliar airport, trying to find a taxi or the correct bus upon arrival, and mostly having short connections that are MOST stressful, can make air travel miserable for a lot of people.

If it was easier, I think more people would fly.

Bus travel? Boring IMO

Car trips? you worry about break downs and being out in the middle of nowhere with no idea where to have your vehicle towed to, IF you can find a tow truck.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 PM

491 posts, read 373,200 times
I'm almost 31 and never traveled out of the US and it bothers me on a daily basis, but there's little to nothing I can do about it. I'm trapped in dead end minimum wage job, and I would have to travel alone, which isn't really safe for a woman.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,224,402 times
Quote:
Why do you want to retire early? Presumably there is some activity "X" that you think you'd really enjoy, and that work interferes with.

The question you should ask yourself (which no one but you can answer) is which you enjoy more, travel or "X"? You set your priorities first, whatever they may be, and then act accordingly.
Well, my mom died in October. At almost 89 but it was still unexpected. And for the last year before that I was going from MD to Philly twice a month to see after her. And in the last 6 months before she died took off a week to declutter the house and set it up for live-in aides. Before that for the last 8 years I saw after an aunt's finances, and then when she died, had to look after mom's affairs. So I've had a "busy" last five years. So basically I'm just TIRED and burned out period. I just don't want to work any more. So that's why I'm obsessed with retiring. But it doesn't make sense financially so the next two years I'll keep trying to fight my burnout.

As for the travel....1) much as I'd like to go to some of my short list places....I just can't mentally get over the hump of spending 5K a year or more on travel, when I want to retire and need to put away money for that. I don't make enough to have it all...so something's got to give and I guess that's travel....2) since I DO enjoy spending time with family and friends -- just as much as more exotic travel......I guess I'll take those kinds of low cost trips instead....you know the 'all you have to do is get there" kind of trip because you're staying with someone once you get there.

Quote:
If I had more money I would travel more. It is what it is. I won't regret something that was not possible for me to do
Part of what I -- at 54 -- am coming to accept is that I likely WON"T be able to do as much as I had wanted to and dreamed of doing. That acceptance is new for me. I've been very introspective lately, and that's one realization. I suppose there may be a lot of 'realizations' that people come to accept in their mid-50s. For me, accepting that I WON"T be able to afford it all is a bit disappointing. I really did used to think I could afford it all if I allocated better, etc. But no, I don't make enough to a) MAX out the 401K, b) MAX out the Roth IRA, c) eat out every night (which I do) -- AND d) travel as I would like.

These are the reasons that for now, other than less expensive trips -- DEFINITELY 1K or less -- more costly travel is off the table until retirement. And if I never make it to those places, it will be a regret -- but clearly one I can live with -- because OTHer than having to work 5 days a week, I rally am quite content and treat my self quite well. I want to see what kind of money I have in retirement THEN we can talk about traveling more. The truth is the more I spend on travel now -- the LESS that gets saved for retirement. And right now that's the priority. (Notice I am NOT stopping the eating out every day... that treat gives me so much day-to-day enjoyment ...If you told me that if I cooked every day for a year, that savings would pay for my Australia trip....I still wouldn't/couldn't give up eating out)

Last edited by rdflk; 02-17-2015 at 11:17 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I'm almost 31 and never traveled out of the US and it bothers me on a daily basis, but there's little to nothing I can do about it. I'm trapped in dead end minimum wage job, and I would have to travel alone, which isn't really safe for a woman.
I mostly traveled alone, as a woman. You must be more cautious and really learn about the place you are going before hand. But it's fine and you will be safe. One of my most fun adventures was flying to Crete, after a horse trek on the Greece mainland, and renting a crappy little car, and driving around and camping on Crete. I had a blast ! And I don't even speak Greek. People were so nice and it was really cheap; the car was $140 for the week, campgrounds were $9 a night, and I bought my food out of grocery stores. This was back in 2004 but I'll bet you could do it cheap again.

I did a drive, camping trip to North and South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming and that was fun and relatively cheap also.

Safety can be an issue but I don't go out after dark regardless of where I go. I was going to rent a car and drive around Romania but once I got there, I could tell right away it was not a safe place so instead, got a guide - cost more obviously but it worked out really well.

I sacrificed a lot to travel but it was worth it. People have different priorities and my keen sense of adventure puts travel on the top of my list. Don't despair - you never know what will happen in your life to change your fortunes and circumstances.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,459,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Has anyone here put off travel for retirement and had it work out?.....Encouraging stories welcome

I'm deciding and pondering now -- how I feel about travel now, versus later, in retirement ... I'm 54 and hope to retire no later than 65. I'm really not anxious to spend money that could be saved/invested/put aside for retirement, which can't come soon enough. I see any major money spent now on a trip, as DELAYING my retirement. And I REALLY want to retire.

I did travel a bit in college and grad school...lived abroad, and traveled while over seas, and did some other travel: Russia, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Jamaica, Israel and several other places, and more a dozen U.S. states.....so it's not like I've never been anywhere.

On one hand: I've never let thoughts of how to pay for it stop me from going anywhere I was "dying" to go (I put Israel on my CC for example.) But now I hem-and-haw, and say I'd like to go somewhere ...... but never pull the trigger and DO it.

So now at 54, I say i really would like to go to Australia/New Zealand, Scandanavia, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada (the short list.) But I'm so obsessed with retirement...and I just can't pull the trigger on spending minimum 3K on a trip when that could go toward my retirement....OR at least mentally help me get through the next 10-years until retirement. For example I am spending $500 on an annual get-away weekend with three college friends. Other than that and family reunions, which usually cost about $750-$1000, depending on where they're held....I just don't want to give up any more money for some trip.....there's no place that's worth spending 3-5K that could go toward retirement...or pay for the next FIVE YEARS of smaller trips.

I sort of feel like. "Yeah I'd LIKE to go to Australia, or Canada or Alaska.....but I'm 54 and haven't been yet...so if I never get there....oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be, much as I would have enjoyed it. I really want to retire, see want I have money and income-wise, and then travel once I know what I'm dealing with. That's what I'm thinking now. I know health issues could interfere with that -- but like I said: oh well....
Just do it. The 3K will not make a difference whether you can retire or not. Having been to all the places you listed, with the exception of Scandanavia, you will have memories that last a lifetime. You have the ability now, you may not later. You say that if you don't get there is wasn't meant to be. But more correctly if you don't get there, you didn't allow yourself to go......

THE WORLD IS A BOOK. THOSE THAT DO NOT TRAVEL READ BUT A SINGLE PAGE.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:56 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think the main thing discouraging about travel to other countries is flying. Sore knees, sore backs, difficulty standing in long lineups, having to walk for long distances pulling suitcases, confusion on what gate to be at, having to hop on trains between terminals, being disoriented in a huge unfamiliar airport, trying to find a taxi or the correct bus upon arrival, and mostly having short connections that are MOST stressful, can make air travel miserable for a lot of people.

If it was easier, I think more people would fly.

Bus travel? Boring IMO

Car trips? you worry about break downs and being out in the middle of nowhere with no idea where to have your vehicle towed to, IF you can find a tow truck.
Have you ever been to the Lima Peru airport? Oy Vey. Every family member from great great grand uncle to
the child delivered yesterday goes to the airport to see a family member off.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:48 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
H dropped dead at 61 so I remain to this day very happy we decided to travel when we were young. We went everywhere and did everything. We had both seen our elders miss out on the travel they had worked a lifetime for due mostly to health issues. That was not going to be us!

My only regret is that I am not wealthy enough to still be traveling!

Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 PM

8,197 posts, read 11,915,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Just do it. The 3K will not make a difference whether you can retire or not. Having been to all the places you listed, with the exception of Scandanavia, you will have memories that last a lifetime. You have the ability now, you may not later. You say that if you don't get there is wasn't meant to be. But more correctly if you don't get there, you didn't allow yourself to go......

THE WORLD IS A BOOK. THOSE THAT DO NOT TRAVEL READ BUT A SINGLE PAGE.
Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or