U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:02 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times

Advertisements

Been looking forward to the magic years of retirement. And when Medicare kicks in.
We have both mostly retired a couple years ago, but not fully.
Don't you know my longevity prediction is 106, but,
Things happen and it's one dr visit after another.

Did you have a huge change of plans because of health?

This wasn't going to happen to me, I've always been as healthy as a 'hoss'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,529,269 times
Similar. in the same boat

I retired a year ago thinking that I would spend all day long mowing the yard if it took that given that I now had more time to spend to do the projects that must be done. What I lacked in strength I had it time to make up for it.

Had always been spry, strong, and able and thought it would continue. It didn't. I did not expect to have the orthopedic problems hit me so quickly or so hard. and they did.

Wishing you the best.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:35 PM

16,336 posts, read 10,327,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Similar. in the same boat

I retired a year ago thinking that I would spend all day long mowing the yard if it took that given that I now had more time to spend to do the projects that must be done. What I lacked in strength I had it time to make up for it.

Had always been spry, strong, and able and thought it would continue. It didn't. I did not expect to have the orthopedic problems hit me so quickly or so hard. and they did.

Wishing you the best.
same here. The mind is willing but the knees not so much.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
We spend a lot of time in Guest homes of retirees. We have several hosts that have declined very rapidly shortly after retirement. In one case, they have been driving for 2 yrs w/o license, as neither of the couple can pass the eye exam. They are rural, so must drive to get feed / supplies. They keep the trips very minimal, and we drive and run errands for them (Staying extra days if necessary).

More than one couple 'wear-out' / get injured building the 'dream-house'.

We just bought an incomplete rural house that 2 separate couples have tried to build after their retirement (dying in the process). I think we can finish it in the next 2 months... hope we live that long!

Traffic accidents / falls can cause lifelong reduction in mobility.

then there is the 'other stuff' ... (normal aging)

Old 02-16-2015, 03:00 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Been looking forward to the magic years of retirement. And when Medicare kicks in.

I have to admit, that is my biggest worry. I have been so healthy all my life it's almost scary. I've never had a surgery and even still have my tonsils. I have rarely ever had to take any kind of meds and don't now. It amazes me how I could reach 72 and still be entirely 'intact' and healthy as I am. And then I think that, yes, I've been really really lucky but the possibility of something "BIG" hitting me is always there and in the back of my mind.

I do take care of myself and my doctor once commented that he had never seen me come in sick. I never have. I rarely ever GET sick and just stay home till it's done. Even working with the public I've always managed to avoid catching anything.

There have been times when I thought the person who came up with that Golden Years thing ought to be drawn and quartered, hung and burned at the stake! More like Pewter sometimes!

Old 02-16-2015, 03:40 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,573 times
It's a thought that has been on our minds. I'm still too far away from retirement to seriously contemplate it. But we know two people who just retired last year and both were diagnosed with Cancer this year. They don't have a long life expectancy. Last week my husband's best friend who just retired called to say that he had just had emergency surgery. He has always been healthy and I kept telling him that he shouldn't retire because financially he wasn't ready. It makes me wonder about what to do. There are no promises.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post

I hate to tell you this, but it don't get better with age and I am a lot older than you. The best is behind you.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
This is one reason I opted to retire early and take a cut on pension.
I figured the older I got the less I'd be able to do so I got out while I was still young.

Just go with the flow hoss.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:23 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is one reason I opted to retire early and take a cut on pension.
I figured the older I got the less I'd be able to do so I got out while I was still young.

Just go with the flow hoss.

This is what I did also. My mother & aunt had just died of cancer (early 70s) and my BF since Jr HS died from heart problems @ 50.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
The specific ailments/problems that will befall us, and the age at which it will happen, are all widely variable. There is another current thread in the retirement forum about hearing loss. I just got hearing aids a couple of months ago at age 70 and I felt like a freak. It's difficult to accept such things with good grace. I've had arthritis in the middle finger of my right hand for about a year now. (No, that's not the lead-in to some joke). My beard has been completely white for several years, so I remain clean-shaven. I grew a (white) beard a year or so back and looked 20 years older. The beard thing, admittedly, is a very minor problem, as the solution is pretty simple and painless.

I am actually lucky compared to lots of people. I have no more trouble flying than I did at age 20, and I can still lug around extension ladders and climb up on them to do exterior painting without any sort of problem. At some point, all that will probably change, provided I live long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement