U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 06:02 PM

28,215 posts, read 47,628,039 times

Advertisements

Emma Morano said she stayed single after her first marriage ended in 1938 because she "didn't want to be dominated by anyone."

Read more: Emma Morano, 115, has been single since 1938 - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
I think one could skip the raw eggs and just go with single living.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 PM

28,215 posts, read 47,628,039 times
There is good things being married and bad if you pick the wrong mate.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,179,187 times
You know, I often think about stories like this..

God bless her for having such a long life...

But, if I ever live to be that old, God-willing, would I really want to be alive? All of my friends and siblings , and possibly even children, are dead. And while i do have great grandchildren, and great grandchildren, what true happiness do I/will I have?

I recall talking to a patient I was taking care of many years ago. He's was a much older gentleman and had a sordid istory of illegal drug abuse. When I asked him if he was still using drugs, he said "yes.: I sat and lectured him about the health and legal pitfalls of drug usage. Do you know what he said to me? He said "Do you see most people who come into the ER who are 70 or 80?" I told him yes. He said "I bet you, doc, that they almost always ain't lookin' so hot. In fact, i guarantee you they're miserable. I've had a hell of a life, and yes I've done a lot of things to my body. But you know what? I can honestly say, when I die, that I've loved life and I enjoyed it to the fullest. So, if I do drugs every now and then, it's ok. And in the end, even if something happens to me, it's okay. "

This gave me a lot to think of b/c I had never had a patient voice those sentiments before. And while that may be interpreted as a pretty cavalier (or careless?) view of life, I think he had a poignant viewpoint on life. I by no means endorse drug use, but I do wonder sometimes how living to 90? 95? 98? 100? 10+? will have any true meaning for me...

It just gave me alot to think about...what is the point of living this long if you truly arent enjoying life or are alone? how much can and will any of us enjoy life at these ages?

Just my own reflection on this topic...

Old 02-21-2015, 12:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,024,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
There is good things being married and bad if you pick the wrong mate.
That is true for men, but for women just being married shortens expected lifespan.

I think every married woman knows why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement