U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
A hint for 'too big' jars of refrigerated items.
Store them upside down and they'll last as long as it takes to use it up.
Obviously, be sure they're leak-proof.
I only 'cheat' with wheat products occasionally and so right at the moment have the rest of a loaf of bread in the 'fridge that's a couple of weeks old.....double wrapped and put in the refrigerator while fresh. I do the same with fresh baked rolls.
If necessary, a very light toasting (like on 1 ) does a fine job of emulating fresh.
I do that with all my tomato based products! Works great. But do check for leaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I am not really a "shopper" either online or in the stores. Most of what you've written is how I feel about buying online. I need to see, feel and KNOW what I'm getting. I don't order from catalogs either for the same reason.
I love online shopping. Most of my clothes come from online sources. After you have shopped with them a while, you know their sizing and feel. And they offer free returns.

What better way to shop and try on the clothes you buy with the accessories you have at home?

If you don't like it, just put it back in the return package, add the pre-paid label and drop it off at the post office.

After a few times doing this, it won't be such a hassle.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,226,304 times
Quote:
Sometimes you an find such sizes in the checkout lane displays.
And -- duh -- it just occurred to me to check out the travel sizes aisle. I just didn't think of it until now. Mostly because the travel sizes are mostly toiletries, and travel stuff. But I can at least check it out.

I'm another one who is not crazy about shopping online...I DO it but only for: gifts that are being shipped directly to others -- or things where there's a bulk discount or special online pricing like my mom's Depends...which were shipped straight to her.

But definitely no electronics or clothes. I've GOT to touch and try before I buy....

Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 AM

8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I love online shopping. Most of my clothes come from online sources. After you have shopped with them a while, you know their sizing and feel. And they offer free returns.

What better way to shop and try on the clothes you buy with the accessories you have at home?

If you don't like it, just put it back in the return package, add the pre-paid label and drop it off at the post office.

After a few times doing this, it won't be such a hassle.
I know you do! I've known you long enough to have kept up with your shopping 'habits'. lol If I was 'into' shopping, at all, I probably wouldn't mind. I have to go to Walmart today and pick up a few things I've put off getting and now I HAVE to. I hate when I do that. I work tomorrow but need this stuff before then.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 AM

9,777 posts, read 14,959,939 times
I like French toast made with raisin bread. It's delicious. I keep my bread in the refrigerator and with raisin bread I buy it at Sam's Club in the two loaf package and freeze one. I waste very little food. Lots of leftovers can be employed in soups. You don't need to stick to recipes out of books. When I make rice I often toss a bullion cube in the water. They come in beef, chicken and pork flavors. It is quite easy to have flavorful and economical meals.

Don't let your fruit spoil. Before it goes bad, juice some and freeze it.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,267,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Now that I'm an empty-nester, shopping has become more difficult. It has more to do with local stores in general than the fact that I'm shopping-for-one. Virtually everything is "supersized."

O.K., it's not "too" much of a problem when I buy fresh meat and immediately separate it into smaller packages, but when it comes to products like bread and cereal I rarely buy them at all anymore. I simply don't have the time to divvy-up huge packages of stuff every time I return from a grocery store.

Has anyone else encountered this- and if so, what's the solution?
The local stores don't stock small or even normal sizes of anything. Heck, they don't even carry one-pound boxes of cat food!

Purchase a food saver machine and take the time to divide items or split groceries with someone else.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I know you do! I've known you long enough to have kept up with your shopping 'habits'. lol If I was 'into' shopping, at all, I probably wouldn't mind. I have to go to Walmart today and pick up a few things I've put off getting and now I HAVE to. I hate when I do that. I work tomorrow but need this stuff before then.
I love to shop at home. I hate going to the mall.

In fact my sister is coming down this weekend and I will tag along to one of the better shopping centers in the city. Its not so bad since it is outdoor style - not one big building.

But I still get tired of looking at things. At least they have a brick version of my favorite online shopping store.

I want to be able to look from the comfort of my home. I tried Amazon Prime again and will probably stick to it this time. Ordered lots of pet treats and they were here in 2 days. That will cut down my real grocery shopping trips. Same price too!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,940,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The big discount stores like Target are interesting. Where do you store 36 rolls of TP?
Divvy it up if you have to. I don't stop at 36 rolls - I buy enough for a year when I find it on sale. Stores under beds, behind sofas, under an end table - put a tablecloth over it and it protects the table as well as hides the tp; those kitchen cabinets in the corners that are useless for anything else - put tp in a large bag and extend the end to near the door so it's easy to reach. I know a friend who had a glass table top - just the glass and she put a tablecloth over the tp with the glass over it - stored her tp right in the living room and no one was the wiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
The problem with buying the smaller sizes (if the store even carries them) is that they are priced only slightly lower than the large sized. Plus, my freezer only holds so much food.

Hamburger (90%) sells for $4.99 a lb. But if I buy a container that has six or more lbs, it comes to only $2.99 a lb on a good sale day. What am I going to do with 6 pounds of hamburger even if I section it off and freeze it? It will be freezer-burned before I eat it all. I suppose I could find somebody who wants to share the meat and the cost, but why should I have to do that?

Bread, same problem. I don't eat much, but I like to have it. In the freezer it goes, but then it's really only good for toast. Frozen bread isn't the same as fresh. As another commentator mentioned, I also buy flour tortillas instead.
It's been said a few times - FOOD SAVER. prevents freezer burn, keeps food in freezer like new for up to a year. I've gotten some great deals on pork or chicken - prepare it for a meal, pop it in food saver and toss in the freezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes! I have lots of bulk items in the trunk of my car. If I find something I use regularly, especially on sale, then I use the trunk, I live in an apt., with little storage, and take things out of the trunk as I need them.. Also, like others have said, freeze things.

I'm not sure why this would be such a problem.
Quote:
I second that! I love my Food Saver. No more freezer burn and easy to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
Even small homes can store bulk items. Toilet paper and paper towels can be stored in the top or bottom of a closet...or under the bed!There is usually a few inches of usable space behind a sofa, too. I tend to buy large quantities of items because they are less expensive. When I see a sale on an item that we use, I buy up to a 1 year supply. We have a lot of storage space, but with a little creativity, you can always find a little extra storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
That is important. I was in a regular supermarket looking for a SMALL spaghetti sauce. I think there ONE brand that had maybe a 12 oz size? I was shocked at how few choices there were in smaller sizes. About a dozen brands of sauce overall -- yet only one that had a small size.

But singles get short shrift a lot in this society so what else is new. The new, popular single serving items tend to be the 'diet' 100-calorie type.

I hardly EVER, EVER need ANY first aid items, but every TEN YEARS when I do......try finding just one bandaid, or two aspirin or allergy pills, or just 2 tablespoons of cough syrup, or one squeeze of Neosporin. You have to by an entire bottle or tube...when you know you don't need that much.
Freeze sauce in an ice cube tray - pop out and put in freezer bags. Take out just what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Purchase a food saver machine and take the time to divide items or split groceries with someone else.
The time it takes you to use the food saver/prepare items for freezing/cooking is time you save on the cooking end. So it takes even 1/2 hour to prep 10# of chicken into 10 meals. That means when it's time to cook, you aren't spending the time marinating and waiting - you've already done the marinating and it marinates as it defrosts - or you can toss it all in a crock pot in the morning and you've got dinner when you walk in the door. Each of those 10 meals you saved 5 minutes so your 30 minutes isn't wasted, it's a net gain. I've been doing this for years even before the last kid was out of the house.

You can get small packs of aspirin/cough medicine at the big pharmacies - usually at the check-outs.

Frozen bread keeps a long time - just take out what you need and lightly toast (as noted above).

Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,334,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The big discount stores like Target are interesting. Where do you store 36 rolls of TP?
In my pantry! If it doesn't spoil, like TP or paper towels or laundry detergent, buy large sizes or packages or multiples when they're on sale. They you don't buy that stuff for 6 months. I literally buy TP about 3 times a year ... and never run out.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 PM

14,262 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I always used to buy the small jars of spaghetti sauce......which disappeared years ago.

The solution? As others have said, I have to spit it up into smaller containers and freeze........but I feel I shouldn't have to.
I see 12 oz. jars of spaghetti sauce at the surplus grocery stores ALL the time. Why? Because they never sell at the major supermarkets even though people complain that they are not carried.

Personally, I prefer the large jars as they are a lot more economical ... except maybe at the surplus stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement