U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 03:43 PM

6,584 posts, read 3,670,806 times

Advertisements

I've been to New Bern a couple times visiting and it seemed like a nice place (once they got the pirates cleaned out). If I was wanting to be by the water that is where I would want to look. And - Pepsi-Cola was invented there. The Tryon Palace and historic areas are interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 3,474 times
I have visited and stayed in three 55+ communities, in Florida, NJ and SC, and you have succinctly described what I don't like about them. They are all about paying dues to support what "most people" want, and many people assume "most people" want a constant social whirl.

But what about writers, artists, and the like, whose personal light shines best when you are thinking independently and doing independent activities? What if you prefer working out and walking by yourself, and only want to be around people when it suits you?

The houses and yards are small by design, to make maintenance easier; you can't create your own little paradise the way you can in a regular neighborhood. (As for purple houses and Section 8s - I know they are out there, but have never lived around them). As far as I can see, you end up subsidizing the other "activities" for everyone else and being ignored, perhaps even resented, because you aren't "with the crowd."

I'd like to hear from someone who disagrees with me on this and says "independent thinkers can still be at home in a 55+ community." And I wish there could be an over-55 community where people like me could feel at home.

Monty55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post

Concerning the 55+..........unfortunately I can't count the number of times I see people assuming this same thing when they have never even seen a 55+ community... The activity center is full constantly, as are the tennis courts, bocce ball courts, pickleball courts, softball, golf course, walking trails, etc. etc. etc....

Old 03-13-2015, 06:14 AM

753 posts, read 706,683 times
We came from MA to NC almost 5 years ago. Mainly the weather, the cold mostly.

Started out in Cary the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees and kept drifting south... Apex and now the Sandhills.

The air is drier up north with less humidity. The south can actually feel worse due to the humidity- 40 degrees and rainy sounds balmy when you are dealing with that 15 degrees in winter but it's not. It's a dampness that gets in your bones and doesn't go away! It can feel as bad as that 15 degrees.

Down here they have heat pumps for heat- not so great to keep you warm when the temp is in the 30s and below. I miss Gas Heat! LOL

I don't find it better at all weatherwise, and if I have to deal with humidity all year long here in NC, then I am truly thinking that maybe it's better to keep going even further south to be warmer :-)

But as far as beauty goes, NC is great! I would come back and visit...

Old 03-14-2015, 10:38 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
Thanks for all of your input. We are thinking now that we might want to look at New Bern. I might sound like I am flip-flopping, but we're just trying to be open to a variety of options!
Lots of great advice. Web transplanted to the Triangle and love it. You first have to define yourselves and then find a area with similar identity in NC. A wide range and mix and when you visit the various areas explore individual neighborhoods during the day, nice weather both week days and weekends. People at home, garage doors open, neighbors out etc etc. cold weather, hot and humid and bugs can make us retreat inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement