U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 10:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,214,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I live near a nuke plant and that's what I thought. Then we heard it wouldn't do any good for adults. I think it might help for kids. Also, there is supposed to be an evacuation route here. Big joke. A friend says he was told to go to a certain location and a bus would pick them all up. He says, "Nah, the bus driver would be off saving his own hide, not driving a bus around."

He says one guy told him he'd prefer to just walk into the sea and fry. The nuke plant is on the ocean--we can all try to crowd down one narrow highway or go out and fry.

I'll admit, I mostly ignore it but I do feel uncomfortable seeing it there on the beach. I remember Three Mile Island and whatever that place was called in Japan. I just don't think about it too much but I don't trust a lot of these things that they say are safe. (Especially since this particular one has to keep getting special government waivers to keep operating.)

If it's Vermont Yankee, it was shut down at the end of last year.

There are real dangers to nuclear power plants ....... it's just that there are more dangers and much more pollution from most other types of power plants. If we want electricity, we have to pay a price.

Three Mile Island was actually a helluva lot more than what they tried to spin it as (blowing off a bit of tritium but not really that close to a full meltdown, which is what almost happened). Fukushima is continuing to be spun - it's still boiling radioactive sludge under the surface, and continues to leak a bit into the ocean..... it won't be quieted down to any appreciable degree for decades, and will be noticeably radioactive for centuries.

There have also been many other lesser incidents around the world. Some of them have been hushed up to an extent, but you can still see the lists online if you want to ....... mostly people just don't care enough to demand more journalism about it ...... if it doesn't directly harm someone in the family, they don't care about it.

At any rate, the number of very serious incidents since 1945 is very small, quite trivial in comparison to the massive ecological damage done by fossil fuel plants, and to other sources of danger or pollution besides electricity generation (such as cars).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 01:03 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,004,382 times
The plant south of me was in the news because of flooding four years ago

Nebraska nuclear plant floods, raises broader disaster fears - Jun. 28, 2011

Old 02-22-2015, 02:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 2,057,898 times
we lived 15 miles down wind of a nuclear plant(2 reactors) with no high ground between it and us, then they announced they were going to build a third one! we moved!!

Old 02-22-2015, 05:50 AM

51,914 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Wow! Just realized that several of the lake communities in the Southeast that we're considering for retirement share their waters with nuclear plants Our dream is to retire to a beautiful, large lake near the mountains, but not sure I could ever get comfortable with the idea of having a nuclear plant as a close neighbor. What do you all think?
When I've heard this claim in the past it generally turns out that the person thinks the plan releases radiation into the lake as part of normal operation.

Nope.

It just uses the water as part of the steam turbine process etc.

There are plants all over the country for decades and decades and the community is fine.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 AM

51,914 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
The plant south of me was in the news because of flooding four years ago

Nebraska nuclear plant floods, raises broader disaster fears - Jun. 28, 2011
Yes..."broader disaster fears" from.....waiiiiiiit for it.......anti-nuclear activists.

That's like interviewing PETA about the new chicken farm being built down the road and citing their concerns about potential bird flu outbreaks.

Ironically, I was just looking at the cover of National Geographic and it's about the "war on science".

This is an example.

Same people snorting about rednecks not believing in man-made climate change....turn around and bleat about nuclear power....GMO's....etc etc etc. it's friggin' priceless.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:23 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,214,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
we lived 15 miles down wind of a nuclear plant(2 reactors) with no high ground between it and us, then they announced they were going to build a third one! we moved!!
Ireland: Pollution of the Irish Sea

Old 02-22-2015, 07:42 AM

6,223 posts, read 5,357,527 times
I don't have a source handy but I have heard that traditional coal plants put out way more radiation in it's normal operation than any nuclear plant. When people think of a nuclear disaster they point to Chernobyl, which was a reactor housed under basically a tin roof, no containment building, so of course the damage was more widespread.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:50 PM

12,705 posts, read 9,967,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
I appreciate all the responses and understand that today's plants are by and large safe. Guess it's that "what if" scenario that bothers me. I was looking into South Carolina particularly around Lake Keowee. Beautiful area but that plant was built in the 70's and has a good bit of info out there that has caused me some concerns. Guess I was just surprised at the concentration of plants in TN and the Carolinas but then most of those beautiful lakes were created for power generation after all.
I think you're actually much more likely to die of poor diet or a car accident than of a nuclear accident. Keep yourself healthy, don't get reckless, and be merry. Life's too short to worry about the freakishly improbable.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:48 PM

5,217 posts, read 3,632,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I think you're actually much more likely to die of poor diet or a car accident than of a nuclear accident. Keep yourself healthy, don't get reckless, and be merry. Life's too short to worry about the freakishly improbable.
Exactly.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:34 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,830,089 times
I worked at a nuclear power plant for 3 years, lived about 25 miles away for most of my adult life. No big deal. No matter where you live there is some sort of threat like earthquake, tornado, hurricane, nuclear accident, massive snowfall and ice storms, thunderstorms, floods.

I live about 50 miles from Watts Bar now, as well as Oak Ridge National Lab. Meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement