U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 12:27 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,590,184 times

Advertisements

I lived on the tip of a peninsula where you had to drive past the nuke to get home or off the peninsula to the mainland. The evacuation plan was something like "drive past the nuke and see which way the wind is blowing and then go north or south on the mainland highway."

This was right around the time of Three Mile Island, and my local nuke was closed because it couldn't withstand earthquakes. This was coastal Maine! However, a couple of weeks later, there was a cracking and rumbling noise- I thought my landlord had come home drunk and hit the house or something. Turns out it was a 3.4, centered a couple of miles from the nuke.

If I was my current age (almost 62) or older and retiring, I wouldn't sweat it, because any negative effects would be long-term, anyway. I'm not being flippant about that, I mean it. I'd live near a nuke if it was an area that I really wanted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 11:00 AM

6,131 posts, read 9,098,506 times
UGH ! Don't do it. Your hair will turn green and your teeth will rot and fall out.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:43 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
People are giving insufficient thought to the advantages of living near a nuclear power plant. Once you start to glow in the dark, you can dispense with the flashlights and the need to replace their batteries.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM

2,387 posts, read 7,772,407 times
My Nuclear Neighbor is about 27 miles south - SONGS. San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, on the Pacific shoreline just a few miles south of Richard Nixon's former Western White House in San Clemente.

SONGS has not generated power for almost 2 years, when it was shut down by order of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission due to defects in massive turbines that were installed not long before the shut down. The owner of SONGS, SCE (So Cal Edison) decided not to attempt repair of the new, expensive turbines and instead decommission the 40+ year old plant.

I'm not sure how long it will take to put SONGS to sleep. It is right next to Interstate 5, and whenever I travel south towards San Diego, it looks like there are still a lot of cars in the employee parking lot. It might take a decade or so, and cost more than it did to originally build the plant. Then they have to figure out what to do with the spent uranium fuel rods that currently sit in a cooling pond.

Regarding the OP's original question about a house near a nuclear plant - I have seen the Nuclear Plant at Lake Oconee not far from Clemson University in the northeast corner of South Carolina. It is a nice area with beautiful lakes, rivers and many small to medium sized cities in the vicinity. I am sure the plant at Lake Oconee is well managed and as safe as any other nuclear plant in the US.

Unlike the power plant at Fukushima, Lake Oconee is not near one of the earth's major tectonic plate junctions that produce mega earthquakes every couple of decades. It is also far enough inland from taking a direct hit from a hurricane. Tornadoes can occur anywhere in the southeast, but the hilly area around Lake Oconee does not get nearly as many tornadoes as the flat lowlands of the southeastern states. So risk of some bad nuclear accident due to natural disaster is lower than most other places.

If I were actually going to buy a house in the area, I would try to keep a 15 or 20 mile gap between me and the nuke. If something really bad happened, even that would not make a lot of difference. Even now, 30 years after Cheyrnobl disaster, many countries in Europe won't buy dairy, meat or produce from the entire large nation of Belarus, which got the heaviest dose of radiation blown onto it due to wind patterns.

Last edited by recycled; 02-28-2015 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 PM

1,116 posts, read 601,388 times
ROUTINE RADIOACTIVE RELEASES FROM NUCLEAR REACTORS - IT DOESN’T TAKE AN ACCIDENT - NIRS

I wouldn't live near one of those cancer-causing hell-holes [especially downwind (east)] if they paid me...

Old 03-02-2015, 08:15 AM

685 posts, read 565,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Wow! Just realized that several of the lake communities in the Southeast that we're considering for retirement share their waters with nuclear plants Our dream is to retire to a beautiful, large lake near the mountains, but not sure I could ever get comfortable with the idea of having a nuclear plant as a close neighbor. What do you all think?
Prioritize ... In NYS, one of the first things H. Clinton took on as a fight (real or not real is unknown) with the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant. We were 15 miles away from it. There were periodic leaks (always claimed as safe leak but we never believed it was safe). @1996 we planned a trip to Charlotte, NC there were jobs and it was primarily a banking industry town. Just prior to leaving, we learned all the water fed to the city was through a nuclear power plant up the river. We changed our destination to Research Triangle Park. I had job offers, we just didn't like the area.

Where do we land ... "x" miles from a coal burning plant.

So, OP, you'll have to look carefully* and eventually figure out what you're okay doing. *I watched superfund sites near us in NY magically come off the internet. It included a huge mall that had just
been built over one. It was there on map before business came in and disappeared after. There
was another site by a richer area and that, too, because unlisted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement