U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 AM

4,060 posts, read 9,114,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Has anyone experienced this? Spouse is fine, but I have large, painful knot at injection site, headache & general achiness.
Perhaps an allergy to something in the shot? I'd see a doctor to be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 10:33 AM

4,555 posts, read 5,472,028 times
I had my shot around age 60 as I had friend who suffered from shingles. I don't recall soreness or aches but a few days after the shot I did get a large, deep sore near my mouth which I suspected was related to the shot. After about two weeks it healed and no problems since.

OP, do you have contact person to call from where you had the injection given? I would try ice and asprin for the pain and if it gets worse contact someone.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:39 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
No side effects whatsoever. No shingles either!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
I had a sore arm for a few days and I believe a mild headache for a day or so.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:08 AM

2,903 posts, read 4,583,692 times
Last fall, I got my flu shot and the shingles shot at the same time. No problems with either one.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:18 AM

7,875 posts, read 10,563,569 times
Take a benedryl, and you will be fine, That is what I did and I had the same thing as you,

Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 AM

23,422 posts, read 28,272,492 times
OP, what you have is common. The lump will go away by itself, and you can take analgesics, as Mark suggested, for the discomfort and fever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This sounds rather severe. I would get to your doctor or weekend clinic or ER asap.
Not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
My mom got this after contracting shingles at 79, it was misdiagnosed as she did not have the blisters or sores typically associated with shingles (the ER told her it was arthritis !!! despite the fact that it hurt so much up getting up that first morning that she fainted and threw up - personally I don't know any arthritis that comes on that strong). Anyhow by the time she figured out what she had herself, on the internet, it was too late to take the drug so she suffered incredibly!

I am mid 50's and wonder if I should get the vaccine, I am generally not in favor of getting them myself but this one is giving me pause.
The vaccine is approved for age 60 and over. You can take it at an earlier age, but the issue may be insurance payment, and the vaccine is a bit pricey. You can ask your doctor bout it.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:46 AM

9,335 posts, read 4,284,874 times
I wonder why shingles seems to have gotten more common these days, as my Father said he does not recall older people getting it or suffering from it like they do today. Sure the population is getting older in larger numbers due to living longer, but I wonder if there is something else to explain it

Old 02-21-2015, 01:10 PM

983 posts, read 1,356,755 times
My brother had shingles twice before the age of 50 and my mom had it in her 70's. My brother was sick, but did not have as much pain. My mom had everything from debilitating pain, eye complications, headaches, to vomiting. So I asked for the shot in my early 50's and our normally conservative insuranec provider had no problem with paying for it.

Shingles is more common now because people live longer and have ore stress. Previous generations didn't often live into their 70's and 80's. And although life was physically more difficult, people under 70 had less stressful lives in past generations. They also had more of a support system when they were ill.

Get the vaccine.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:18 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,836,000 times
Both DH and I had soreness for a couple days, and I had a lump as well. Both went away without problems.

I do have to say that I am more sensitive to vaccines, shots, and meds than he is. So if you have those types of allergies or sensitivities, that might be what is causing it. If it doesn't go away in a couple of days, then I would at least call the doc's office and talk to the nurse there and she what she/he has to say. I know everyone says to take Tylenol, but I have found it to be very ineffective, but the naproxen that I take everyday for arthritis seems to help more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or