U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:21 PM

106 posts, read 109,351 times

Advertisements

I had a little itchiness and a large bright red spot at the injection site. My 84 y/o mother suffered a year with shingles, it was horrible. Mom said Reprot come back and complaim to me when your back is in flames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:02 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,786,138 times
It's a little better today, called pharmacist who administered it & she said 1 in 50 have this reaction. Oddly, my spouse, who reacted to pertussis vaccination & has other allergies, had no reaction to this. BTW, he has already had an episode of shingles & so did my mother...it's awful, especially the neuralgia. So, I would recommend the discomfort of the vaccination over risking shingles.

BTW, in our area the vaccine costs $224!! So, I'm very grateful that insurance paid for them for both of us.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:31 PM

118 posts, read 128,148 times
I am a RN and the product information of Zostavax (shingles shot) is to give it Subcutaneously NOT intradermal like a TB test. You want to place the vaccine Under all layers of skin not just under the top layer. This is different from many other shots that go directly into the muscle.

The product literature also notes, reddness & soreness at injection site as side effects. Which I experienced. My arm was sore enough to wake me up from sleep when I rolled onto it. But instead of saying ouch, I said "hooray" I've seen the agony shingles causes many times and feel so blessed to be protected from it.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,388,006 times
As a retired nurse, I can only recommend GET IT, GET IT , GET IT!!!!! Pay whatever is required, but this is NOT one to play "Russian Roulette" with....TRUST ME!!!! Praise GOD ABOVE I have never suffered from, but have seen plenty that have and they would give you their last dime, drop of water and keys to the car NOT to have suffered thru!

Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 PM

996 posts, read 864,667 times
After three friends got shingles in their early 60s, and we saw how incredibly painful it was (not to mention the potential of long-term chronic pain if not diagnosed and treated in time), my husband and I got the shingles shot as soon as it was available. Absolutely no side effects. Back then, it was harder to find a place to get it. Now it seems to be widely available.

As I understand it, there's no guarantee you can't get shingles even with the shot. But it's supposed to be a much milder case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or