U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,100 times

Advertisements

The new age is 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 07:43 AM

They now have a chicken pox vaccine.

However they wont know until decades later if it will protect against shingles,too.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:08 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I actually had the chicken pox twice! First as a child, and then again in my early 50's. When I got the rash, I could not believe that it was chicken pox knowing I had already had it, but sure enough, it was. Dr stated that it is not all that unusual for someone that did not have a "hard" case of chicken pox to have a reoccurrences, so I was REALLY anxious to get the shingles vaccine to protect myself since I had the virus again so late in life.

I could not help but wonder if I would have had that later case of them had I not been a nurse and exposed to it somewhere along the line at work.
I had not heard this! I had a really rough case when I was a senior in high school - couldn't even have a senior picture taken (). Anyway, I'll use this to talk my doctor into approving it a bit early.

I did just read that BCBS of Illinois will pay after the age of 50 as long as a doctor prescribes it.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,533,545 times
Ex-hubby had shingles in his 30s. Sometimes doctors can argue to the insurance company that there are reasons for you to get a vaccination sooner, or that you have a condition that others your age typically don't have, relative to the general guidelines. I have a doctor that charges me $20 to make this argument for a particular med., and the insurance company does accept it.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM

5,392 posts, read 21,382,389 times
Shingles can be a very painful experience. We just paid the money and got the shots deciding it was an investment in our wellbeing.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:00 PM

21,534 posts, read 43,962,244 times
We've had other threads on shingles over the years. One thing I've remembered is the shot is only 50% effective - which means half the people getting the shot may still get shingles - and effectiveness does decrease over time, as Lenora has posted. However, those who do still get shingles should get a less severe case. Shingles in the eye sounds horrible.

That said, those I've known recently who've had shingles have all been under a lot of stress (one very healthy woman became a shadow of herself when her husband was dying of cancer, and ultimately she did develop shingles) - or were never very healthy to begin with - in other words, not all that vigilant on their diet, smoking, etc.

Of course, there are people predisposed/more susceptible to shingles than others. So, it can be the luck of the draw. No one in my family - parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins - have had shingles. No one. Aside from DNA, the one thing we have in common is no one smokes, no one drinks, and we've always pretty much not eaten fast food or junk food, and do cook and eat fresh foods - not boxed/canned/processed. Who knows? So far, for us, it works.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:17 AM

2,902 posts, read 4,579,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That said, those I've known recently who've had shingles have all been under a lot of stress (one very healthy woman became a shadow of herself when her husband was dying of cancer, and ultimately she did develop shingles)
I don't know if stress can cause an initial outbreak of shingles, but I do think it contributes mightily to a recurrence. I saw it happen with a friend of mine at least twice...after severely stressful events in her life, shingles would raise its ugly head.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 AM

As I stated before, my three older siblings got shingles.

So my younger sister and I got the vaccine.

Would've been worth it at any price.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:21 AM

527 posts, read 1,089,010 times
As of Nov 2014

Accoding to the CDC, the Shingles vaccine is "approved" for persons over 50, but the only studies that have been done are with persons over 60. The CDC has no recomendation on whether to get the shot or not if you are 50-59.

In people over 60, they found the effictiveness of the vaccine decreases over 5 years, effectiveness after 5 years, after the shot is unknown.

So they are concerned that people who get the shot in their 50's, they get to their 60's, when you are in most danger of Shingles, will have a false sense of security, that they are protected.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:49 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,325 times
Seems to me you just go and get another shot after about 8 years. It's worth paying for another. If your doctor says no, change doctors and don't tell the new one you already had a shingles shot. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or