Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 AM

720 posts, read 995,691 times

Advertisements

What is the normal time frame to let your employer know you plan to retire? I would assume it is more than the usual 2 weeks people give when changing jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
I think the formal notice is a month here, but I informally notified by employer more than a year ago that my planned retirement date will be January, 2016.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
One of my Co/Worker gave "Official" notice two months in advance,

We all know about when he would be leaving about two years ahead time, For team planning he told us the (un) Official date about 6 months in advance.

But he Did the HR paper work two month in advance of his end date, so his pension and Heath Ins, Life Ins etc, would transfer with out any delay (the Benefits are effective on your retirement date, but takes some times for it all to be setup, If you don't give HR the time to do it there is a Time gap until they get it done, but not a benefit gap.)

Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
It probably depends more on your job and the difficulty the company will have training your replacement. For those who have already 'retired in place', 2-weeks is probably plenty of notice. Senior managers and long-term 'contributors' will probably already have a succession plan in place - that will likely include 6-months of mentoring one's replacement.

Of course, one's age is pretty much regarded as a tip-off by most companies ... unless one suddenly decides to retire early. If the reasons for doing so are unexpected, then one does what one has to do and the company will 'get by.' For the most part, those retiring after many years with a company, generally have a sense of responsibility toward their fellow workers -- and will notify them accordingly.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I gave 6 months verbally to my supervisor, and then when I didn't see replacement happening quickly enough, I notified my department manager and HR in writing 3 months ahead.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It probably depends more on your job and the difficulty the company will have training your replacement. For those who have already 'retired in place', 2-weeks is probably plenty of notice. Senior managers and long-term 'contributors' will probably already have a succession plan in place - that will likely include 6-months of mentoring one's replacement.
That's precisely why I gave six month's notice. They didn't come up with someone for me to rain until a week or so before my retirement date and I declined to provide it. It would have been a waste of my time and their's.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Officially for me it was a month so the paperwork would be all squared away and pension checks starting right when I retired.

Unofficially I told my manager about 3 months before that I planned to retire.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
I don't think it really matters what length of notice that you give. Two weeks, two months - what difference does it make? Regardless of how you feel about the place, when you're gone you're gone. Nothing that you do or say before you leave will have any effect once you are out the door.

Companies are sold, merged, reorged, go out of business all the time. Go back for a visit a few years later, you won't recognize or even understand whats going on. Lots of people that you knew will be gone too.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM

720 posts, read 995,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I don't think it really matters what length of notice that you give. Two weeks, two months - what difference does it make? Regardless of how you feel about the place, when you're gone you're gone. Nothing that you do or say before you leave will have any effect once you are out the door.

Companies are sold, merged, reorged, go out of business all the time. Go back for a visit a few years later, you won't recognize or even understand whats going on. Lots of people that you knew will be gone too.

That may be true but we would want to be able to get pensions, health insurance etc squared away so that there are no gaps. That is the reason I asked. Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. A few months notice seems like the correct thing to do in order to insure all goes smoothly.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post

Would that were true. The state from which I retired wasn't sold, merged, reorgd, nor did it go out of business. Two weeks after I retired I was subpoenaed by a court to represent the state and my department in a civil matter. I required the state to bring me back in a retired annuitant status for liability purposes and reimbursement for my time and travel for the week long proceeding 91 miles away. For several months I also received calls and emails from various employees asking for information and guidance which I was happy to provide. Even now, six years later, some are in touch and still occasionally ask for some mentoring and assistance they don't seem to be able to get on the job now that I'm gone.

As part of my profession I wrote statutes and amendments to existing statutes and often testified before the legislature, all of which continues to have impact in several areas of law. To that degree I'd say I had a lasting impact and affect, both state and federal, as did my wife (same profession) on the state level.

Blanket statements just don't work well, do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement