U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM

305 posts, read 964,848 times
Default Emphysema and Retirement Places

Where in the US has the best climate for people with Emphysema? It has to be in a mild climate, low humidity and altitude.

I know CA and AZ and NV are probably very good for emphysema sufferers - but we're looking for someplace on the Eastern side.

Anyone who has emphysema and lives an area such as I stated above, please post here so I can check it out.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,910,470 times
Unfortunately, I can't think of any Eastern area that fits your description. I don't have your medical issues, but I loathe humidity (live outside Boston) and I don't think there are any flatlander Eastern areas without real humidity. Now, about low altitude- how high can you go, if at all? Some people suggest the mountains of western NC/VA. I don't know how "mild" you mean by mild.
Good luck. I'd love to find something like you describe.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 AM

305 posts, read 964,848 times
Wink My Husband Has the Emphysema ...

From the research that I've done, he shouldn't be in any elevation higher than 3,000 feet.

So far, NC is the only place I've found on the East Coast that fits the bill where climate is concerned.

What bothers him the most is extreme cold and humidity. Hot and dry are great. Rain is okay, as long as it's not for weeks at a time.

I read somewhere that the Piedmont area of NC has a climate that does not get out of control at either end of the thermometer and/or the humidity. Only, I have no clue where that is!

VA is too wet for long periods of time. And the climate is not consistently steady.

We lived in Southern Cal. for 30 years. Yes, the climate is great there, but when it was time to retire, we just could no longer afford to live there! Plus, both our daughters attended college on the East Coast. But we're finding that PA is just not helping the emphysema at all. And I hate to see him locked in the house because he can't breathe well outside. He's not on oxygen and we'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Thanks for your response.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 16,978,069 times
I don't know much about emphysema, but if you need to avoid airborn allergies the southeast is not a good place for you. Tree, grass, and mold allergies tend to be very bad here. The prediction is that it will get worse. If you need to avoid pollen, I would guess your best bet would be the beach areas of DelMarVa (Delaware, Md, and VA--with the least amount of pollen in Delaware).

Old 01-11-2008, 08:26 AM

285 posts, read 613,558 times
Default Carolinas

The Piedmont area of the Carolinas is the area that falls between the ocean and the mountains. Charlotte, NC is an example of a piedmont city.

I live in the SC piedmont and it does have humidity in the summer, though I only have one summer to judge by (an abnormally hot and drought filled summer).

Old 10-24-2009, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 15,254 times
can anyone tell me how good it would be in southern oregon? I'm presently in the mountains between Idaho and Wyoming at about 6200 ft and have been told I should move down to at least 3500 if not lower. thanks for any help available

Old 10-24-2009, 04:15 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,498,673 times
The elevation would be a lot less in southern Oregon. The humidity is not bad. They do get some fog in the wintertime. Cities like Medford would be about at the 1200 foot. It's fairly dry there.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:12 PM

13 posts, read 30,438 times
Actually, I have been a respiratory therapist for twelve years so breathing treatments are my specialty, emphysema and asthma are patient load daily.
I have also lived in VA and NC, the piedmont area is actually referred to Greensboro, Winston Salem, and Raleigh area also known as the Triad.
NC does not necessarily get alot of rain or no more than anywhere else, but it can get quite cold in the winter where you see the highs in the 30's and 40's for days and weeks at a time and lows in the 20's and sometimes as low as the teens in the coldest months of late December Jan and Feb.
I am not going to sugar coat it if you are going to pack up and move you need to know all the facts, I had some of my highest patient loads when I lived in VA and NC, some of my lowest and best controlled patients were when I lived in Colorado but as you said you are looking for wast coast. Actually, believe it or not I would recommend South Carolina over NC South Carolina has a much more controlled temperature and remains steady at those temps for days and weeks at a time, obviously you dont have to worry about the cold there and the summer in some parts are not that bad, during the hottest times of the days you simply stay indoors till it gets cooler in the evenings.
I live in southeast GA which is only a couple of miles from the FL border so dont come this far south the humidity is horrible for a healthy person let alone someone with breathing issues.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask me any other questions and I will do my best to answer them.
I have also heard the state of Texas and the middle states such as Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, AZ and several all in a row on the map would be well suited.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:18 PM

15,909 posts, read 11,371,175 times
The idea is to get away from the humidity. I have emphysema and live at 4,650 ft in Arizona. It's wonderful. I wouldn;t think of living east of New Mexico

Old 10-25-2009, 12:35 PM

5,868 posts, read 4,411,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The idea is to get away from the humidity. I have emphysema and live at 4,650 ft in Arizona. It's wonderful. I wouldn;t think of living east of New Mexico
Doesn't the thinner air at 4,650 elevation aggravate your breathing problem, Boompa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement