U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I read this morning that something like 1000 flights from Dallas have been cancelled due to ice. I never associated Texas and the Southwest with those kinds of conditions, and wonder if it's unusual or becoming more the norm there.
I have a striking childhood memory of the biggest icicles I've ever seen. They were at DFW. Icicles hanging off the jetways. That time we dodged a bullet, and managed not to get stuck between connecting flights. This was winter of 1978-79 IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
March 1st, 72 deg F in Columbia, SC. Daffodils up, Camellias in bloom. The walk over the dam, Lake Murray, full of walkers. Sailing boats on the lake. Buds on the trees, with dogwoods soon to be blooming. Not a bad climate.
I agree. What's it like in July and August?

Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 AM

673 posts, read 2,027,922 times
Quote:
I agree. What's it like in July and August?
Scorching. However, a lot of the country is very hot isn't it. Texas, Nevada, AZ, Fl, GA - all hot. The only place to get an acceptable climate in the continental US is California. I have been there many times, and yes the weather is lovely. But the traffic, house prices, etc. are very offputting. In my opinion you have to deal with either heat or cold/snow. I don't really like either (I'm not from the US). I dislike cold more than I dislike heat. We live by the lake, and have a boat dock in our subdivision, and we can go swimming, and pull up on sandy white beaches whenever we want. It makes the summers bearable. We take a 3-week trip to Europe most summers, since we have retired. It makes a break.

I have also been to Texas, out to Palm Springs and Las Vegas. No dry heat doesn't make it bearable, it just gives you wrinkles!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,883,686 times
Quote:
Scorching. However, a lot of the country is very hot isn't it. Texas, Nevada, AZ, Fl, GA - all hot. The only place to get an acceptable climate in the continental US is California. I have been there many times, and yes the weather is lovely. But the traffic, house prices, etc. are very offputting. In my opinion you have to deal with either heat or cold/snow. I don't really like either (I'm not from the US). I dislike cold more than I dislike heat. We live by the lake, and have a boat dock in our subdivision, and we can go swimming, and pull up on sandy white beaches whenever we want. It makes the summers bearable. We take a 3-week trip to Europe most summers, since we have retired. It makes a break.

I have also been to Texas, out to Palm Springs and Las Vegas. No dry heat doesn't make it bearable, it just gives you wrinkles!
Finally some truth about that dirty little secret in NC flatlands. I have talked to so many folks who retired to Charlotte and Raleigh etc. thinking being half backs that NC will be more temperate. Only to find those hot, humid months . North Carolina is a very long state. It has four distinct areas. Temps are different, people's speech varies , food differences.i don't know of any other state that has four zones this different from each other. The only place in the state where it's cool in summer is the high mountains of western NC. It's all about altitude. The key elevation is above 3500 ft. Where AC is rarely needed.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:33 AM

673 posts, read 2,027,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Finally some truth about that dirty little secret in NC flatlands. I have talked to so many folks who retired to Charlotte and Raleigh etc. thinking being half backs that NC will be more temperate. Only to find those hot, humid months . North Carolina is a very long state. It has four distinct areas. Temps are different, people's speech varies , food differences.i don't know of any other state that has four zones this different from each other. The only place in the state where it's cool in summer is the high mountains of western NC. It's all about altitude. The key elevation is above 3500 ft. Where AC is rarely needed.
Columbia is in SC.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Those in the mid-Atlantic and South, exactly how was your winter in terms of all these questions:

1 - how much snow, and how frequently, and as of today (March 1) is it still on the ground and how high.

2 - how much ice, and how did that ice impact on your driving and home maintenance

3 - how much cold, how many days in a row under say 2530 degrees

4 - are your winters getting worse, getting somewhat better, or always pretty much the same

5 - how many months do you consider it "winter" where you are

Please say your state and what part: northern, southern, eastern, western, middle (for this to make any sense for me and anyone else interested). Thanks.
East TN.

1. There usually isn't anything on the ground by the first of March. By now, we usually have temperatures in the 40s and 50s, occasionally at 60, and sometimes cooler.

2. Ice is maybe a once a year event.

3. Usually less than a week.

4. The last two have been especially severe.

5. December January and February are the winter months.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Columbia is in SC.
I know that, sorry my post did not include SC. ,it should have. For many of us who lived in the ares west, SC. Was the favored route to the beach...mainly because it was closer than the NC shore.The two Carolinas have a lot in common , including the weather for the most part. My place was 10 miles from the State line.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
East TN.

1. There usually isn't anything on the ground by the first of March. By now, we usually have temperatures in the 40s and 50s, occasionally at 60, and sometimes cooler.

2. Ice is maybe a once a year event.

3. Usually less than a week.

4. The last two have been especially severe.

5. December January and February are the winter months.
You need to be more specific , not just E. Tn. Which only a small part is in the Mtns.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You need to be more specific , not just E. Tn. Which only a small part is in the Mtns.
This is in Kingsport. If you are looking at higher elevations in places like Unicoi or Johnson Counties, of coure you're going to get more snow and more treacherous conditions when it does get bad.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This is in Kingsport. If you are looking at higher elevations in places like Unicoi or Johnson Counties, of coure you're going to get more snow and more treacherous conditions when it does get bad.
Thanks for that local info. While anyone knows that at higher altitudes winters will be harsher, summers will also be cooler........it's a trade off. I always liked Johnson City, which we always traversed in order to hook up with I-81 northbound, it was shorter than going all the way to Knoxville to p/u 81.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or