U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,038,544 times

Advertisements

It's really funny what your body can get use to. I grew up in rural Georgia. Most people think of Atlanta as being hot, and humid but really it's nothing like southeast ga, or central fla away from the coast, because the sea breeze helps a lot! I remember as a kid being outside swimming or playing sports all day. Now when I go back to my hometown I always catch myself saying "it could not have been this hot back in the 90's"! I actually thought Atlanta was cold the first 3 years I lived here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,335,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Next I guess I need to ask about the bugs.

Where I am now there are NO mosquitoes at all. I'm by the beach and it keeps them away. But even here, if you just go 1/2 mile inland they spray for mosquitoes during the last part of August. It's to prevent the mosquito borne illnesses like West Nile Virus.

So, in Virginia, there must be hoards of mosquitoes and other insects. I know they spray synthetic permethrin (the same stuff my previous house was treated with to kill termites) from airplanes. There must be more ticks and more of all kinds of bugs. Doesn't this spraying make people sick? Does it really eliminate the insects so that people can sit outside?
In Memphis they had trucks that sprayed on a regular basis and I never heard of anyone getting sick from it. Apparently the EPA is okay with permethrin treated clothing. Repellent-Treated Clothing| US EPA (not that I would ever wear it, but...)
A lot of people still use citronella candles or other types of repellants if they plan to stay outside for get togethers. I have noticed that mosquitos are a bigger problem if there are ponds or marshy areas nearby.
Fleas, ticks, and chiggers can sometimes be a problem if you have pets or go into tall grass or in the woods. Rarely experienced it myself but co-workers would talk about how much of a nuisance it was for their dogs. Some people have their lawns treated by a lawn company to control the problem.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:41 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,653,076 times
Quote:

Where I am now there are NO mosquitoes at all. I'm by the beach and it keeps them away. But even here, if you just go 1/2 mile inland they spray for mosquitoes during the last part of August. It's to prevent the mosquito borne illnesses like West Nile Virus.

So, in Virginia, there must be hoards of mosquitoes and other insects. I know they spray synthetic permethrin (the same stuff my previous house was treated with to kill termites) from airplanes. There must be more ticks and more of all kinds of bugs. Doesn't this spraying make people sick? Does it really eliminate the insects so that people can sit outside?
My aunt and uncle moved to Colorado from Virginia and have said many times that they have NO BUGS whatsoever. An occasional yellow jacket flies by, but very rarely.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:43 AM

6,382 posts, read 3,585,076 times
Quote:
That's what I always used to say on the hottest, most humid summer days in New England. I preferred winter. But dh and I are both past age 70 now and each of us fell on last winter's ice just trying to get to the car. We really shouldn't be shoveling (what was it this year? 108" so far?) of snow and it's painful to pay $65 all the time to get the driveway plowed out. Then there's the heating bill.

It's not that I want to leave or that I would prefer the long humid summers. It's a multitude of issues like finances, potential accidents, and not having family who live around here. His family is in England and my one sister is in Virginia Beach, working. She could never afford to move back to what has become a very expensive part of the country.

I wouldn't live in South Florida--ever. Been there in August and never again.
I moved out of my house in NY in February 2004 at 58 years old. Slipped on my driveway, fell on my behind, and slide down the entire driveway. Limped around for days.

Lesson? Do not move in FEBRUARY with all the snow and ice. Never, never again. BTW, yesterday was 87 degrees in South Florida. Little taste of what is COMING soon for months on end.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM

1,994 posts, read 2,640,314 times
As a dedicated indoorswoman, I deal with Florida summer heat and humidity by going outside as little as possible. If I have to go out, to run errands or go to the doctor, I try always to go early in the morning. At home I park my car in my garage, and when I go out I look for covered parking or shade.

When I am in the house I live like a mole -- all shades lowered, trying to keep the outside light outside. Light is heat. I keep the AC set at 78 and use ceiling fans in whatever room I'm in.

This is how I live from May to October. It doesn't bother me; it's the price I pay for living in Florida, close to my granddaughter.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 AM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Great question.

I've lived in the SE my whole life, from the Carolinas to Alabama. I'm done with it.

The humidity of the summer, to the damp, dark bleak of winter in the south. It's dark at 5 in the winter, and always, always wet. A lot of people have trouble with their sinuses, and attribute it to "catching something". truth is, it's the mold and mildew that is doing it to them a lot of times. Most people don't MOVE to the southeast unless there is a family link or once in a lifetime career move. In Alabama in particular, there is no valid reason to move here, and the low cost of living is literally the only big selling point to convincing out-of-staters to consider it. It has a "low cost of living" because no one in their right mind would want to live here.

Again, been here my whole life, in the southeast, and there are better places. Charlotte was a great 4 year run for me, and a mistake to leave it.

The South may rise again, but it'll do it without me living in it's backyard. And I doubt they will miss me, so I'll save some internet troll from giving the old "don't let the door hit you" comment. Save your breath.
Where doesn't actually have a "dark bleak winter" and isn't dark around 5 at Christmas? Florida is the only place I can think of on the east coast that won't be dark and bleak, and the sun will still set fairly early. It's not on the equator.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:45 AM
bUU

11,883 posts, read 8,665,350 times
Actually, the differences in sunlight are quite interesting to research. I learned that there is a big difference between Boston and Atlanta: Over the winter, Atlanta gets much more sunlight than Boston. So no, you don't need to be in Florida to do much better than many cities up north.

There is more sunlight in Boston than Atlanta over the summer. That may not be surprising but what I found very surprising is that there is more sunlight in Boston than Atlanta if you aggregate over the whole year.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,168,131 times
Quote:

The mosquitos can be problematic at times, but I live on Lake Whitehurst (near the Norfolk Botanical Gardens) and on the lake, there are very few mosquitos. I've always heard that mosquitos are less near these stagnant bodies of water, because when they land on the water, the fish eat them.

So, find a house on one of our many lakes!

Old 03-04-2015, 04:29 PM

3,470 posts, read 1,719,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland

My aunt and uncle moved to Colorado from Virginia and have said many times that they have NO BUGS whatsoever. An occasional yellow jacket flies by, but very rarely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I've been in Colorado for less than a year, but so far I concur with your aunt and uncle. We didn't see a single mosquito or flying insect last summer. It's weird not the have the screened porches here that I was so used to back east, but they aren't necessary.

I grew up on the Peninsula side of Hampton Roads with the huge sprayer airplanes flying so low that you felt you could reach up and touch them. There was a huge mosquito problem there, as well as Isle of Wight when we lived near the river. It seems like there would have to be an impact from that kind of spraying in your formative years. A sibling died at a young age of an unexplained cancer. We can't help but wonder.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
The mosquitos can be problematic at times, but I live on Lake Whitehurst (near the Norfolk Botanical Gardens) and on the lake, there are very few mosquitos. I've always heard that mosquitos are less near these stagnant bodies of water, because when they land on the water, the fish eat them.

So, find a house on one of our many lakes!
you have never experience Mosquitos until you have been to Alaska. Bugs; go into a forest in Maine and feel them no see'ems in your underwear or black biting flies besides huge mosquitos.Thank god I had friend who lived locally when in both places when there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement