U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 PM

8,954 posts, read 7,729,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Since the nights in the south are not as long as they are in the north in winter, you don't get that gloomy winter blues that is so common.

That is one of the key issues for me. I get depressed when the days become too short. For example, when we left for Virginia this Dec. it was pitch dark like the middle of the night at 4:15. As we drove south, the sun began progressively setting a little bit later. In two days we arrived in Virginia and the sun was setting at 5:30.

"Winter" there was great--the longer days were like a bonus and it made me feel a whole lot better. Some days were cool and you needed a light jacket, other days you could get by without a jacket. I wore long cotton pants and regular shoes, no boots, no hat, no gloves.

I've been there before in winter when it was almost warm, other winters it was cool. But never, ever was it filled with day after day of sub freezing cold with ice and snow. I love snow--not so much now that I am older--but I have nothing against it. It's simply the danger of dealing with it when you are older and having your plans dictated and ruled by it.

Virginia is a big state so the climate varies, of course. I want to live by the coast to be near my sister who works in Chesapeake and I like being near the ocean. It's the summers that I worry about. So SE Virginia or maybe somewhere near the coast of NC.
Maine to VA is actually going south/west so the sun sets later in the west, even in the same time zone. Sun also rises earlier in the eastern edge of the same time zone. Yes lighter later in the evening but also darker later in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 PM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Maine to VA is actually going south/west so the sun sets later in the west, even in the same time zone. Sun also rises earlier in the eastern edge of the same time zone. Yes lighter later in the evening but also darker later in the morning.
I don't live in Maine though. I live in Mass and went to VA Beach which is on the coast of VA. But even when we got to Delaware the first night of our trip, we noticed that it stayed light a little bit longer. Anyway, I don't care about the mornings because I'm retired I just want it to stay light later so that once I get out and get on with my day, it doesn't turn dark at 4:15. And there you are, driving in pitch black on ice or snow!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,297,923 times
^^^ Yep, i winter the sun sets almost a full hour later in Miami than here.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 PM

3,705 posts, read 2,193,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ Yep, i winter the sun sets almost a full hour later in Miami than here.
Are the days longer though?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 PM

2,428 posts, read 1,665,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Are the days longer though?

The days in FL are an hour+ longer in fall/winter and then it shifts to longer days in the summer in NY by an hour. I follow the sun and moon cycles. The crescent moon looks like a smile in SWFL instead of being on its side like in the North, closer to horizontal than vertical with some lunar cycles.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-05-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 05:28 PM

5,215 posts, read 3,630,568 times
Quote:
I'm considering a move to Virginia, specifically the Chesapeake area. This is southeastern VA near Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Newport News. If I could find a place I would prefer the Williamsburg area to the north.

I have experienced the winters there and it's fine--I don't mind occasional snow or temperatures in the 40s and 50s--and a few pleasant days in the 70s.

But what about the summers? There was only one time that I was there at the end of August and due to the blasting heat and humidity, I barely made it from the a/c house to the a/c car. It just about knocked me out.
I have been told that it's like having several New England months of July--ugh. So how do you cope? Stay inside in a/c all day long? Or go from a/c to a/c to a/c?

Also, I read that they spray constantly for mosquitoes. This worries me--I have a dog and I don't want him walking in pesticides, also any edible plants that I would grow. Anyone in the southeast, how are the summers? Do they limit your activities? Do you get used to it?
If you don't like hot weather, then you shouldn't move to the South. I don't like cold weather but I love hot weather, so guess where I live.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:32 AM

29,774 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
I'm considering a move to Virginia, specifically the Chesapeake area. This is southeastern VA near Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Newport News. If I could find a place I would prefer the Williamsburg area to the north.

I have experienced the winters there and it's fine--I don't mind occasional snow or temperatures in the 40s and 50s--and a few pleasant days in the 70s.

But what about the summers? There was only one time that I was there at the end of August and due to the blasting heat and humidity, I barely made it from the a/c house to the a/c car. It just about knocked me out.
I have been told that it's like having several New England months of July--ugh. So how do you cope? Stay inside in a/c all day long? Or go from a/c to a/c to a/c?

Also, I read that they spray constantly for mosquitoes. This worries me--I have a dog and I don't want him walking in pesticides, also any edible plants that I would grow. Anyone in the southeast, how are the summers? Do they limit your activities? Do you get used to it?
You pretty much described it. AC to AC or just stay in the AC. Not just transplants but native with AC the same life. Folks without AC, do the best they can. When the sun sets you can try to make a move but during the day the sun and heat are brutal. We are fortunate in that part of our coping includes the beach but even there high sun can be brutal and life in the water becomes some relief. However the time before and the time after is heavenly and made for being out doors so once you have experienced Spring and Fall, Summer just becomes a necessary transition between the two and you grind it out.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 AM

Any one planning to transplant to the South especially coming from a cooler region should pay close attention to which side of your house will be facing West and South. That can make all the difference in the world. Especially if you plan to use a deck or porch or for gardening etc etc. Just a lot of windows on the wrong side can make a difference in the heat of summer or be a plus in the cooler winter. What might be great sun exposure up North might be something else in the South East.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,297,923 times
^^^ Yep, condo rents were lower in mom's building that had a western or southern exposure.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:25 PM

It isn't just the heat but the angle of the sun. You adapt and adjust accordingly. Noonish to 3:00 or so I'd the worse. My wife can hang longer on the west facing deck and porch. I like late afternoon out front, beach time is AM or after 2:30 and in the water thrn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement