U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2015, 11:52 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,301,089 times
Reputation: 7523

Advertisements

Two weeks ago it was -18F here. I will gladly deal with the heat and not have to worry if I'm going to fall on the ice trying to get up to my barn and feed my horses.

It's funny, I never remember complaining about the heat growing up in Miami. Maybe because we didn't know of anything else weatherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2015, 12:41 PM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ Yep, i winter the sun sets almost a full hour later in Miami than here.
Noticed that when transplanting it's cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 01:30 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,301,089 times
Reputation: 7523
Yeah, I keep looking at the Jupiter Inlet webcam at dusk and it so much brighter there. Can't hardly wait!

Jupiter Inlet Webcam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Florida Baby!
5,191 posts, read 670,130 times
Reputation: 3123
So we'll be heading to Florida in the heat of the summer this year just to see how it feels to us. I am thinking I don't do well with damp, and this will be the end of my dream of a beach home....

I'm facing the same issue....I live in CT and can no longer stand cold damp LONG humid winters. I will be retiring in a few years and I have my eye on Florida but I am concerned about the heat/humidity. Last May I flew down to Savannah, GA to pick up my daughter from grad school. Before we left for CT I spent the day walking around town and just about died from the humidity. Again, I drove back down with her during the Christmas holidays and it was colder and more humid than CT (this was before 2015's "Snowmageddon") If anything, my bones can't take the cold/damp, and on top of it all, I was recently told by my chiro that my headaches are due to changes in barometric pressure.

At this rate I'll be booking a ticket to the moon....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 04:46 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
Reputation: 33746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMcN View Post
So we'll be heading to Florida in the heat of the summer this year just to see how it feels to us. I am thinking I don't do well with damp, and this will be the end of my dream of a beach home....

I'm facing the same issue....I live in CT and can no longer stand cold damp LONG humid winters. I will be retiring in a few years and I have my eye on Florida but I am concerned about the heat/humidity. Last May I flew down to Savannah, GA to pick up my daughter from grad school. Before we left for CT I spent the day walking around town and just about died from the humidity. Again, I drove back down with her during the Christmas holidays and it was colder and more humid than CT (this was before 2015's "Snowmageddon") If anything, my bones can't take the cold/damp, and on top of it all, I was recently told by my chiro that my headaches are due to changes in barometric pressure.

At this rate I'll be booking a ticket to the moon....
I could never live in Florida during the summer. I've been there in August when I was in my twenties and I thought I would die from the humidity. The sweat was pouring off me and there were mosquitoes everywhere. Now the heat bothers me too, more than it did back then. So it's a bad combination. The humidity is uncomfortable but the heat is just about crippling. Florida has scary (dangerous scary) thunderstorms in the late afternoon all summer long too--and those summers are long.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 05:44 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Reputation: 18050
59F this morning and high of 69F high today. Nobody I know goes north for the summer. We just shift to summer things outdoors as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 06:09 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,301,089 times
Reputation: 7523
Hey, Chris, we're originally from Norwalk LOL but I grew up in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 06:16 PM
 
2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times
Reputation: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I could never live in Florida during the summer. I've been there in August when I was in my twenties and I thought I would die from the humidity. The sweat was pouring off me and there were mosquitoes everywhere. Now the heat bothers me too, more than it did back then. So it's a bad combination. The humidity is uncomfortable but the heat is just about crippling. Florida has scary (dangerous scary) thunderstorms in the late afternoon all summer long too--and those summers are long.
I've lived in south Florida for nearly 42 years. I totally agree with your descriptions of the summers. Horrible thunderstorms nearly every afternoon. Crippling heat and humidity that slaps you in the face as soon as one steps outdoors.....from mid-May through October. Sweat pours off me and does not evaporate due to the high humidity. I am making plans to move to a four season climate.... I would love to come to Florida in the winter, but I am not sure whether I will be able to afford that once I move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2015, 12:13 PM
 
15,149 posts, read 19,756,086 times
Reputation: 21319
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I think it is just a matter of what you get used to... You get used to the heat just as you get used to the cold. Some people will say your blood gets thin.

Not everyone "gets used" to the heat. I've lived in southern Texas most of my life and have never gotten used to the heat and humidity. My blood finally did thin (if such a thing is possible) -- but it was the result of aging, not adapting, and all that did was make me more susceptible to the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 AM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Not everyone "gets used" to the heat. I've lived in southern Texas most of my life and have never gotten used to the heat and humidity. My blood finally did thin (if such a thing is possible) -- but it was the result of aging, not adapting, and all that did was make me more susceptible to the cold.
I have been in NC for over seven years and can't say I have ever had someone tell me they got use to the heat. Adapt, yes! Use to NO! Adaptation is easier if retired and can get to the coast or mountains regulary. You learn how and when to do things and avoid South or West exposure during the heat of the day. Even the beach can be ugly if not in the water during high sun and it gets high. So go to the beach and 80% of the people at any time will be in the water. Screened porches and ceiling fans in late afternoon and evening. Early morning can be nice but that is early morning. The heat and humidity can be cruncher but the deal breaker is Mr. Sun who can find you it seems even under a tree. Smartest sun I have ever seen. I think at time it has reflectors to reach parts of the outdoors that a Northern Sun is clueless how to conquer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top