U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 03:25 PM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's true in California. My sis and bro-in-law are on disability but don't qualify for SNAP because they own their home.
In CA, the state supplements SSI, instead of giving SNAP. I like it better this way. I get the $200+ as part of my monthly SSI payment, instead of food stamps. I like it because I can budget my money the way I want. I never spend $200 on food.

I know OR gives food stamps (SNAP) instead of the cash supplement, which is one reason I wouldn't move there, although I love Brookings OR, just across the border from me. I wouldn't know what to do with $200 worth of food every month. This way, I can use some of the money to pay other bills, and put gas in the car.

So, the difference for the people you mentioned in CA might be that they are on SSI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 03:59 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,724,705 times
Sounds to me like you have really mastered that food budget. I can't stay below $600 for two people no matter how hard I try. Well, maybe I haven't tried as hard as I could. But I do think about it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
In CA, the state supplements SSI, instead of giving SNAP. I like it better this way. I get the $200+ as part of my monthly SSI payment, instead of food stamps. I like it because I can budget my money the way I want. I never spend $200 on food.

I know OR gives food stamps (SNAP) instead of the cash supplement, which is one reason I wouldn't move there, although I love Brookings OR, just across the border from me. I wouldn't know what to do with $200 worth of food every month. This way, I can use some of the money to pay other bills, and put gas in the car.

So, the difference for the people you mentioned in CA might be that they are on SSI.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:53 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,225,043 times
AZ and Modhatter, no judgement intended. I just found it such a fascinating (and unfortunate) story.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 PM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
AZ and Modhatter, no judgement intended. I just found it such a fascinating (and unfortunate) story.
I repped you, no criticism here, but lots of people get by on not a lot of money. I guess that's the theme of this thread. When you think of how many of our ancestors had to live, even people today who are on food stamps and receiving only SS are not so unfortunate. Before safety nets were put into place, there was real suffering.

There's such an emphasis on materialism these days and it looks like a lot of people have bought the ads the see on tv hook, line, and sinker. They NEED this, NEED that--but they really don't. What they NEED, and what many of us have lost, is the ability to live creatively. Create your own happiness. See the beauty around you. Or, as they used to say to the workaholics, Stop and smell the roses. (And some on this thread excel at this skill.)

Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Hats off to you for saying so.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,335,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think the articles that say people have to have a certain amount of money are just silly. Many people will never be able to save that much money. At some point, they need to just figure out how to live with what they have.

So, maybe that's why you don't read their stories here. There are plenty posters on CD who will lambast someone who admits getting any kind of government subsidy. I get a lot of "you're welcome" responses, as if someone here is personally paying my rent.

If you look at how many times posts are read here on CD, there are a lot of lurkers. The ones who need some type of subsidy or know they will need it in the future, probably just don't want to get beaten up verbally here.

But, the reality is that most everyone will need some type of government help, even if they saved a lot of money. My mother, for instance, is in assisted living now. Her home is paid off and probably worth $700,000 or maybe even more. She had $9,000 in checking, and $400,000 in investments. This money might last 15 years. She's in a nice place she likes, and she's saved a million dollars. But, even she might outlive her investments.

Now, someone who saved $200,000? How long would that last? Most of us will end up on the dole. But, people don't want to admit it. Especially on an internet forum where they will get beaten up for it.

But, hey, I'm a rebel. I admit it. I'm on the dole, and doing fine.
You're Welcome.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You're Welcome.

Congradulations. You just won the prize.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,381,420 times
I think a lot of "concept" plays into it as well....while we are/will be comfortable in retirement with 3 pensions and SS as monthly income, along with a nice little nest egg of savings....it is all relative. What we get and have would be "pittance" to some....while my husband and I are amazed that we are sitting better than anyone in either of our families...who think we are "rich" (far from it, but comfortable).

I am grateful and proud of what we were able to accomplish, but worry for our children and these next generations that have NO hope of any kind of pension plan that we know today. Grateful we were born when we were, because those that have to rely on what they save only for retirement along with SS (if it holds out!) have hard, hard days ahead in their retirement years.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 PM

8,857 posts, read 5,136,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You're Welcome.
Oh please. I'm sure the poster would much rather not be disabled.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:00 PM

26,104 posts, read 28,506,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
When anyone typically posts anything about having enough to retire on, it appears everyone on this board has enough, whether through pensions, double social security checks or larger portfolios. Yet statistically, many more people do not have enough to retire.

So how is it we never hear from them? Does the subject matter of this forum "Retirement" only attract people who are in a position to retire? Are there not people on here who would like to retire, but feel they can't? Are they afraid to speak up, or are they just not interested in the subject matter so they never come on this forum?
I'm pretty sure CD forums skew toward a middle/upper middle class demographic. I work in a public library and you would be surprised at how many people where I live in the SF Bay Area don't even know how to type and/or fill out an online application. So these folks are not going to be posting on CD. I tend to think they most likely have little or no money for retirement as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement