U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 AM

756 posts, read 883,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
This one has to be a first! Florida isn't everyone's cup of tea, but hating the gorgeous turquoise color and peacefulness of the Gulf? Wow, just wow. I was certainly enjoying it on my noodle this past summer (Anna Maria Island).....
It's not a first. We've heard that many times too as we stumble around blindly trying to narrow down our choices. SO many people raved about the gulf coast that we turned our attention there. As soon as we did we had people telling us it's "bathwater"...."soup".....lol. The east coast is too "exposed" "crowded", "gritty", "ghetto" (north of the places we can't afford, naturally). Honestly either one is going to beat sitting through a northern winter, so I'm not worried about it. Like I said, I can be happy with a pretty broad spectrum of things so it will likely come down to convenience of amenities and price.

It's as I said above. The exact same place can be paradise to one and hell to another. We understand now that if we're going to consider Florida we will have to visit both coasts, either in one long trip or in two trips. Montana to Florida is a hefty plane ticket and a full day of flying, so I had hoped to narrow it down to one or the other. Impossible without visiting and seeing what suits us, and whether certain waters are "turquoise" or "murky green".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 AM

2,430 posts, read 1,666,491 times
This beach is a four mile ride from my home on the gulf. I wasn't expecting this after I came out of a canopy of live oak trees. The water is a beautiful turquoise when it hasn't rained for several days. It is not as clear after a rain, so may be more green from the turbidity.
Where are the best places to live in Florida?-image.jpg

Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,864,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaSam View Post
Hi all! I am just new here!
Where are the best places (for retirees) to live in Florida? I would be very much grateful if you could give your suggestions. I am currently jotting down my plans for my retirement. Please help me finish my checklist. Thank you in advance! I am excited to read all your recommendations.
Here is where NOT to move to.

Any area with a history of sink holes.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 AM

756 posts, read 883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
This beach is a four mile ride from my home on the gulf. I wasn't expecting this after I came out of a canopy of live oak trees. The water is a beautiful turquoise when it hasn't rained for several days. It is not as clear after a rain, so may be more green from the turbidity.
Attachment 145839
Doesn't look like murky green bathwater to me!! Beautiful!

Thank you for sharing.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:28 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Here is where NOT to move to.

Any area with a history of sink holes.
Isn't that mostly across the middle of Florida, inland?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,639,547 times
We've lived in Jacksonville since Jan '09. Since then, the population has dramatically increased as well as the traffic. Of course the traffic isn't like Los Angeles, Atlanta, NY, Chicago, but the traffic is getting heavier and heavier. And, since the area RTD system really isn't much, that even makes the traffic heavier, somewhat anyway. I-95, 295, JTB and some streets can get pretty heavy with traffic during Peak Hours. And, if you've never driven on I-4, in the Orlando area during Peak Hours, it's extremely heavy traffic. Would definitely remind me of Los Angeles traffic!

Weather wise........we were extremely surprised at how cold it can sometimes get here. On Christmas Day 2010, I've actually got video of it snowing in our apt. complex! It was coming down pretty good, but wasn't sticking. We were shocked at seeing that! For the last two years, we've had our 20' Cuddy Cabin Power Boat "winterized". "Winterize" a boat in Florida......we never thought we'd do that! But, with temps at 6AM of 25 degrees during some mornings, only for a few hours, but still. And, a high of 45 degrees at noon, sure doesn't seem like Florida type weather. But, this year and last we've had days just like that. I've seen people wearing coats that would be worn in Denver, CO here, during those days. Pretty shocking. And, of course adding in the humidity, the summer heat here is something that some people really have to get use to. Hurricane's are typical here in the Jax area, but serious t-storms and Tropical Storms sure can happen. We had a summer we went thru two Tropical Storms. One, lots of wind. Other, lots of rain.
But, for the most part, the weather here is pretty darn nice! Not perfect, like most say San Diego, Ca is, but still nice.

As for crime: Well, as the population grows, so can the crime and Jacksonville sure isn't exempt in that area. But, there are areas that see much more crime than others. We happen to live in one of the "lesser crime" areas, but pay for that also.

We visited St. Pete/Tampa area and the Gulf just doesn't do anything for us. But, then again, we don't go to the beach here much anyway. A few times a year and that's it. Just not "beach people", that much anyway.

So, there it is from my point-of-view as well as my wife.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 AM

8,195 posts, read 11,908,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Weather wise........we were extremely surprised at how cold it can sometimes get here. On Christmas Day 2010, I've actually got video of it snowing in our apt. complex! It was coming down pretty good, but wasn't sticking. We were shocked at seeing that! For the last two years, we've had our 20' Cuddy Cabin Power Boat "winterized". "Winterize" a boat in Florida......we never thought we'd do that! But, with temps at 6AM of 25 degrees during some mornings, only for a few hours, but still. And, a high of 45 degrees at noon, sure doesn't seem like Florida type weather....
Good overall post. I'm responding to and emphasizing the above because people who are considering moving to Florida don't always realize how great a distance it is from one end to the other and how different the weather can be. For example, the distance between Jacksonville in North Florida and the Florida Keys in the southern end is 500 or so miles. That's greater than the distance from Atlanta, GA to Cincinnati, OH., or from Arlington, VA to Boston, MA. Think of the difference in winters between those two pairs of cities.

If you're considering moving to Florida, think about exactly what climate you want. If you're just happy not having to deal with snow and sub-zero temps, and don't mind (or actually want) a semblance of season change, than north Florida can be ideal. Hiwever, if you want to be able to go outside in shorts, sandals, and a short-sleeve shirt year round, day or night, then you better focus your search 300 miles to the south.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,216,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Tampa is a much older city. JAX is a lot like Chicago where some streets will lead you from downtown to the beaches. It just worked for us, that's all I can say.
Thank you. One of my sons lives in Jacksonville Beach and I may be moving to the area in the future. I'm leaning towards the beach but I am also interested in downtown JAX. Your explanation makes either choice doable.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:18 PM

468 posts, read 521,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
Interesting that it bothers you a lot. Not that I can imagine the term coming up in conversation, so have no worries, but in fact the first person I ever heard it from was born & raised in Pensacola. So I don't know that the term is universally offensive in Florida. I will however take it under advisement that Florida rednecks are of a more delicate emotional constitution than MT ones, and watch my mouth!

In any case, my entire point was not to insult anyone but simply to illustrate that a single place in Florida can be described by two or more different people with completely opposite descriptors--as happened with The Villages on this thread, as "Heaven" and "Miracle Whip"-- I was simply extending that phenomenon to (at least) two other places in Florida that we happened to have investigated and were given the descriptors I related, leaving us befuddled. I'm sorry I didn't make my point effectively enough, apparently. Twice.

I live in north Florida, Tallahassee area, and also lived in Pensacola. Many people around here use the term "redneck Riviera" and do not consider it a derogatory term
Unless you are intentionally calling someone a 'redneck' as an insult, most people around my very rural area are proud to call themselves 'redneck'.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:22 PM

8,943 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Where are the best places to live in Florida?

what? you think we are going tell you, so you can tell everybody on the internet the best place to live in florida. Its a secret, if we told you it wouldn't be the best place anymore. I heard calfornia nice this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or