U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times

Advertisements

We've kept two cars, but, I rarely use my little Miata Convertible anymore. In fact, I've had to jump-start it twice and only drove 1000 miles all of last years. Nevertheless, I like having it sitting there and can throw the golf clubs in the front seat and go ... without disrupting her schedule. Otherwise, my wife's eyes are getting worse (macular) and I wind-up driving her most of the time. In either case, I don't think I'll regret either keeping two or going to one car.

OP, you can probably check the mileage driven on both cars (repair/tire receipts) and get some insight into just how useful having two cars really is to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 06:08 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,911,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Well, we have made many of the decisions about being retired. DH retired in October and we sold the big house and moved to a condo we can lock and leave and travel. Its been a lot of work just doing that. We've made a couple of trips and actually believe we will spend about half the year here and be gone about half the year....mostly in the US until our dog is no longer with us. The big question is the cars. I am considering replacing my car and DH has lots of opinions about what I should get. I am ok with his suggestions only if we get rid of his car and share. Otherwise, I want something smaller for just scooting around in town. He's afraid there will be times we'll each want to be off separately and will regret giving up the second car. We have a rail station right outside our door and can walk to shopping and restaurants. But we have never lived with just one car.

Has anyone gone down to a single vehicle and regretted it?
I have never been down to a single vehicle since about age 17. If you have room to park it, for example, a decent condition but older pickup truck makes an excellent 2nd vehicle.

Then again, I do almost all of my own maintenance/repair work, so YMMV.

What 2 cars do you have currently? Can you figure out what they are costing you?

I have always thought the "downsize to one car" idea for retirement is nuts.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:12 PM

156 posts, read 149,511 times
When we downsized into our downtown condo, we gave one of our two cars to our son, back in Chicago, who needed it. No regrets so far, and we're only putting on about 3000 miles per year on our one car. Unheard of for us. But, we do still have our Vespa scooter, which I use to get around locally.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:32 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,057,486 times
Someday we will, but not too soon. I don't drive a lot but I'm not sitting at home while he's playing golf and I don't want him sitting at home while I'm out with my girlfriends.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:48 PM

364 posts, read 553,066 times
I share with my mom, not a partner, but living where we do, we won't go down to one car 'til she has to give up driving.It really isn't that much more expensive, since the second car is older and just used for local travel. I just bought a new car for mom's use. lt's a Subaru Legacy with the eyesight system, which I thought was the safest affordable car I could find for two older ladies. I love it (I get to drive it when we travel). That intelligent cruise control is outstanding. When I get into traffic I can let it take over and relax and not stress out going from accelerator to brake to accelerator. The only annoying thing is that it will maintain a safe following distance which leads to more cars cutting in front.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:40 PM

86 posts, read 94,782 times
When we moved to Cali we made the decision to have only one car. That meant we would make several other decisions to enable us to sustain that goal. So, we bought a condo on a bus route that enables either one of us to take a bus if necessary; plus our jobs enable us to ride together most days. Very infrequent conflicts. We live in a small walkable town and this works just great. When we retire to Florida, we hope to continue thus lifestyle; good for the earth and good for us! We love this idea and we are making a conscious effort to keep our global footprint small.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 PM

14,033 posts, read 20,349,383 times
We went to 1 car about 10 years ago.
Works for us as we live in a former streetcar neighborhood and work mostly from home.
We only have 33K on our 2007 Audi.
And, there is Amazon for buying stuff.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:11 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Our "second' car is my cherished 2009 Subaru, in mint condition and with mileage only a tad over 10K miles. It's too fabulous a car to sell.
It's also reassuring to have a car at home in the garage while we travel. We're gone as much as we're home. Should a situation arise at home while we're away (always possible with DH's nonagenarian mom or any of our large extended family), one or both of us could hop on a plane and fly home and have a car to use. I'm not a fan of rental car agencies these days.

But if push came to shove, we'd be fine with one car. It wouldn't have worked in our pre-retirement years but it probably would now.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Nevertheless, I like having it sitting there and can throw the golf clubs in the front seat and go ... without disrupting her schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I don't drive a lot but I'm not sitting at home while he's playing golf and I don't want him sitting at home while I'm out with my girlfriends.
Well there it is. If you or your spouse don't golf you don't need a second car.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,302,495 times
Dh retired in 2012, I work from home. We each have a GMC Sierra from when we both worked outside the home, a 2004 regular cab long bed and a 2005 extended cab regular bed.

The 2005 is our daily driver. The 2004 is the hay and grain hauler. When one of them has to go to the garage (35 miles away) having another is convenient.

In 2007 my mom and dad ordered a new car and drove their 1986 560SEL here from Miami. I drove it in the summers.

April 2014 my aunt passed and I was given her 2002 LeSabre with only 55K miles on it. It will replace the Benz.

This spring I will sell the Benz. My dad will drive the long bed with the Buick behind it on a car dolly to our place in FL. I have no idea how I will get the 2005 to FL because I will have to rent an SUV to haul down all of the pets when we leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or