U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,892,617 times

Advertisements

All my life I have been interested in elevation, be it hills or mountains. As of late I have been exploring mountains above 8,000 in the American SW. My thoughts are to find the perfect retirement place where because of high altitudes where it's cooler than the desert floor heat so common in this area in summer. There is no doubt at this southern latitude the high elevations are tempered by such. I find it quite interesting.

All across the Country there are other high places , most at a more northern latitude that could work the same way in retirement....or not ? So what I would like to see from posters is their thought on any like kind living, retirement potentials. ...I do this not so much, as I have already made my lifestyle , for others who are looking and that includes thousands ,as the baby boomers enter this part of their life.,retirement in other places around North America.

Just for general information when looking for cool elevations I have always used this formula.....one degree lower for every 328 feet elevation. There are other factors that effect the weather of coarse , mainly Prominence ., and latitude, natural surrounding that influence like large bodies of water to weather fronts, etc.Anyone interested please comment for so many that are looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Just for general information when looking for cool elevations I have always used this formula.....one degree lower for every 328 feet elevation. There are other factors that effect the weather of coarse , mainly Prominence ., and latitude, natural surrounding that influence like large bodies of water to weather fronts, etc.Anyone interested please comment for so many that are looking.
Best wishes in finding your place! Heights are not for me, lol! That being said, I know you are a practical man, and will have thought this through. Water must be a primary consideration! If you don't have a proven spring to supply your needs, the natural water table will be some thousands of feet beneath you. How on earth are you going to sink a well? Can't be done. Ideally, you want a well that you can hand pump if need be...that won't work far below 30 feet. You have to expect power outages, solar failures, or whatever.

Of course, I read that water rights is an extraordinarily regimented matter in the mountains west of the Mississippi River. Maybe you can't even sink a well. I read somewhere on these boards that you can't even have a rain catchment barrel in some places.

I regret to come from a position of such ignorance that I can't come up with more interesting considerations. Water would be my main concern.

Best regards, please let us know what you find and near what town! I've got a rolling list of places I want to go see someday!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Most places I like at 8K have very long harsh winters going into spring often. The summer are nice but also shorter. I have seen passes at 2K more feet that do not become passable until mid July. Also the altitude mean trouble with any breathing problem as you age.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Best wishes in finding your place! Heights are not for me, lol! That being said, I know you are a practical man, and will have thought this through. Water must be a primary consideration! If you don't have a proven spring to supply your needs, the natural water table will be some thousands of feet beneath you. How on earth are you going to sink a well? Can't be done. Ideally, you want a well that you can hand pump if need be...that won't work far below 30 feet. You have to expect power outages, solar failures, or whatever.

Of course, I read that water rights is an extraordinarily regimented matter in the mountains west of the Mississippi River. Maybe you can't even sink a well. I read somewhere on these boards that you can't even have a rain catchment barrel in some places.

I regret to come from a position of such ignorance that I can't come up with more interesting considerations. Water would be my main concern.

Best regards, please let us know what you find and near what town! I've got a rolling list of places I want to go see someday!
Thanks for your interest, but I did say this is not for me ether. I have made my choice sometime ago. The thread is for comments that can be helpful for those who like the cool better than the very hot. Regarding wells , yes it can be a crapshoot , I have built two homes on a mountain one well at 800 ft. And the current one at 450 ft. You just never know. If all fails, you can try Fracking, it does work !

Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Most places I like at 8K have very long harsh winters going into spring often. The summer are nice but also shorter. I have seen passes at 2K more feet that do not become passable until mid July. Also the altitude mean trouble with any breathing problem as you age.
I think the cool and sometimes harsh weather can be a problem. Out west if you travel north a bit from the MX border., the cool summers can be had at a lower elevation than 8,000. In the east , 6,000 is as high as you can go and in comparison 6,000 in the east is like 10,000 or more in the west.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 PM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
I think 8,000 feet might be higher than you need to go. I live at 5500 feet in northern NM and winter is nearly over and started just before Christmas. What snow we get lasts about a half day. I'm seeing trees budding out. This is a desert but the summer is mild with temperatures rarely reaching 100 and often with single digit humidity. I don't have AC but use an evaporative cooler at a small fraction of the cost. There are a few weeks with higher humidity and rain in August. Apart from that the climate is dry and almost perfection you like four seasons.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 PM

11,090 posts, read 12,475,857 times
I moved from the Ozark Mountains 1,000 feet to western Colorado, and live at 7,000 feet. I frequently camp at 10,000 feet. Above 12,000 feet it gets kinda hard to breathe.

Thing is, my summer 72 degrees feels like 90 elsewhere, the thin air makes it feel hotter. One will sunburn quickly. Nights are cool though and humidity stays around 10%.

I've seen it snow on July 4th, and in mid August. The seasons are winter, still winter, more winter, mud season, tourist season, fall, winter again.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:54 PM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
I lived at about 5500 feet in Mexico for a year in my 40's, and I was quite healthy, but the altitude was hard on me. I found I winded easily when taking walks, and I could have one margarita and be on my face LOL. Also, things don't cook the same, like rice and bread, etc. Elevation is not for me. I happily live in a cool place at sea level now.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,468,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
...one degree lower for every 328 feet elevation...
Just a minor correction. The dry adiabatic lapse rate, (DALR), is 9.8C per kilometer, or 1F per 186.6 feet of elevation change. Of course, as you allude to, the environmental lapse rate, (ELR), is almost always different.

Sounds like the ideal location in our scenario would be Quito. At 9,350 feet of elevation and right on the equator, it gets twelve hours of daylight all year long and the climate is perpetual springtime. Rarely varies from a daily high temperature in the high 60'sF day to day, month to month. Humidity varies throughout the year, but with the cool temperatures, it is rarely miserable or uncomfortable.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Just a minor correction. The dry adiabatic lapse rate, (DALR), is 9.8C per kilometer, or 1F per 186.6 feet of elevation change. Of course, as you allude to, the environmental lapse rate, (ELR), is almost always different.

Sounds like the ideal location in our scenario would be Quito. At 9,350 feet of elevation and right on the equator, it gets twelve hours of daylight all year long and the climate is perpetual springtime. Rarely varies from a daily high temperature in the high 60'sF day to day, month to month. Humidity varies throughout the year, but with the cool temperatures, it is rarely miserable or uncomfortable.
Yes, I get the dry Lapse rate.......I have seen different numbers in several places where environmental/ weather plays into the mix. I am not a scientist , but ,who cares most people never heard of a Lapse rate. I used to live in a small resort town, high in the Blue Ridge of NC. The local realtors had quite a deal going where they listed the for sale homes based in part by elevation. I think it was close to the number I quoted....was an almost perfect place, except winter when almost everyone headed for Florida.
I have looked at Quito before and there was a home sell show on TV from there.......I deducted it to be a bit too far away however ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement