U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 PM

5,440 posts, read 10,524,802 times

Advertisements

It is the same people who wish they can retire but can't that are not happy to see a person retire and be happy. I know plenty of people that are jealous when I tell them that I can retire at the ripe old age of 51 YOA. I have worked 30 years in law enforcement and I could have left 5 years ago. I'll admit it I'M SCARED about retiring and I wasn't scared working in the hood for 30 years. My problem is what happens if I don't like it, I can't go back to my old job, the friends I've made. Retiring will be coming but who knows when. The good thing though is I can leave whenever I want. Good luck on your retirement you deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 AM

152 posts, read 574,017 times
From one Jersey Man to another.

I will be retiring in about a year and have the same aprehensions that you have about not being able to go back. I am a little "scared" also, but this always happens when one makes drastic changes in one's life. I believe that "the one upstairs" will give me a hand and things will work out. I am trying to do so some volunteer work in preparation for when the time comes. I have worked for 34 year and thus much of my challenges and successes have been work-centered. I am looking forward, however, to new challenges and spare time to "take it easy" if I want.

Will you be retiring in NJ? I am moving out.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,828,923 times
I'd love to hear comments from the two NJ residents about the practicality of retirement there. I love Cape May, but we never even considered it for retirement because I've always heard NJ taxes are brutal on retirees.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 PM

5,440 posts, read 10,524,802 times
Normie,
Thats the #1 issue in Jersey now. My property taxes are 15K yes 15 thousand and going up. Thats why you have a lot of retirees and younger adults leaving. As for me I'd like to leave but I can't pry the wife away yet. We are within walking distance to the Atlantic Ocean and have a son in Priceton, daughter in TCNJ and 2 others in High School.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,828,923 times
If you have a home within walking distance of the ocean, that's something to consider. I sold a townhouse that was just a mile from the pacific ocean and always regretted it.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 AM

152 posts, read 574,017 times
I concur with JERSEY MAN, taxes are incredibly high. And now, to top it off, they are charging a tax if you leave the state when you sell your house! Even the toll roads are going up by 50% next year.

I could probably retire in Central NJ, where we live, with pension and SS but I hate giving so much money for property taxes with little in return. I would love to retire here but I do not want to leave my hard earned dollar to the government, so I am going south where the living is easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or