Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 PM

52 posts, read 155,242 times

Advertisements

Anyone else thinking of leaving for a less taxed to death state..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:57 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Are you kidding? VA hasn't even scratched the surface with taxes. If you want to be taxed to death, go to Florida (buy a place) or to NH (buy a place) or NJ. NH may sound like a surprise, since it is touted as the land of no taxes. Well, they tax the property owners and you wouldn't believe those taxes. The state makes up for the no taxes by taxing property owners through the gills. And although FL has no state income tax nor an excise tax, what til you get a load of the property taxes there.

If you are leaving VA because you aren't happy there, that's one thing. But don't blame it on the taxes. I'm in WV for the winter, but I drive into VA to buy my gas and groceries.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:14 AM

Well the taxes may not be great by some state standards but still they are high and for what you get in return I`m not impressed-Lived here all my life
and need a change of scenery.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:27 AM

433 posts, read 2,355,872 times
I would rather pay income taxes on my retirement pay than get clobbered on high property taxes. States like Texas, Florida and Michigan really take it out of your hide. And for states like New Jersey, the only people who can retire there must be millionaires or on the generous welfare program. They nail you coming and going. Property taxes can force you out of your home in no time if values go up. So many retirees only look at income taxes for each state. Wrong. You must look at the total package.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:00 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Exactly Kingsnkali. Property taxes in Virginia aren't bad at all and overall, Virginia is in the middle tax-wise compared to all the other states. Virginia is a really nice state overall.

I live in California and our property taxes are low because of Prop 13, but all the other taxes are very high. We are retiring to KY and the taxes are slightly less than in VA but overall cost of living is less mainly because of housing.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:58 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTAZ View Post
Well the taxes may not be great by some state standards but still they are high and for what you get in return I`m not impressed-Lived here all my life
and need a change of scenery.

Hope you find a place you like better. If you haven't decided where to go, there are some comprehensive tax comparisons in archives for this forum. Delaware is pretty nice, and the taxes are low there.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
I would rather pay income taxes on my retirement pay than get clobbered on high property taxes. States like Texas, Florida and Michigan really take it out of your hide....Property taxes can force you out of your home in no time if values go up. ...
I'll add WA to the 'Tax-you out-of your home" too much property tax states, ~ $30/day or $12,000 / yr for my place that cost me $140k to build 12 yrs ago, now assessed at ~ $850k. And, NO... I couldn't sell it for that much (market conditions / assessor needs a 'reality pill'...) and take my $ to WY (a friendly retiree state, but few 'banana belts')

Need a retirement spot with low valuations / low mill levy / reasonable energy /accessible staple commodities + quality of life... a stiff menu for us 'picky' early retirees, but I'm also looking at the long term implications of US economy and medical benefits (Laid off 6 wks prior to retirement eligibility... after 32 yrs service... ...)

Old 01-19-2008, 06:29 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Are you kidding? VA hasn't even scratched the surface with taxes. If you want to be taxed to death, go to Florida (buy a place) or to NH (buy a place) or NJ. NH may sound like a surprise, since it is touted as the land of no taxes. Well, they tax the property owners and you wouldn't believe those taxes. The state makes up for the no taxes by taxing property owners through the gills. And although FL has no state income tax nor an excise tax, what til you get a load of the property taxes there.

If you are leaving VA because you aren't happy there, that's one thing. But don't blame it on the taxes. I'm in WV for the winter, but I drive into VA to buy my gas and groceries.
In smaller towns in NH you can easily find a house that has property taxes in the $3500 range or less. It really does depend on the town. The expensive areas of the state in terms of property taxes are generally found in the Seacoast region as well as the southern Merrimack Valley near the Boston commuter zone.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 AM

Wife and I have lived here all our lives are retired now and we just want a change.Have thought of many states

South Dakota
Idaho
Wyoming
Montanta
Oregon
Washington State
Oklahoma
Tenn
Texas

I need to visit each one first for a while but that could get expensive on our
retirement pay.
Midical healthcare is a big factor since I`m a heart paticiant and my wife
has too see a pain managment Dr. so that means we may have to be near
a larger city for care.
We have good med care here in Va and it is a nice state but I guess I`m restless in my golden years and would like a change..

Old 01-20-2008, 08:59 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
You really need to look at the Louisville, Kentucky area- they have excellent health care, one of the cheaper cost of living rates in the U.S. - it is a clean and beautiful state with lovely people....lots of neat things to explore and do - whatever your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement