U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 03:16 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,961,540 times

Advertisements

Look into Chattanooga, TN. There is no state income tax, the winters are mild, it isn't as hot as Florida, international airports are not too far away. Gaming? I don't know about that. Housing costs are reasonable and it is not in the tornado or hurricane zones.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 03:57 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Look into Chattanooga, TN. There is no state income tax, the winters are mild, it isn't as hot as Florida, international airports are not too far away. Gaming? I don't know about that. Housing costs are reasonable and it is not in the tornado or hurricane zones.
Actually, you're on to something here. Chattanooga is being promoted as the new Austin and I do believe there is a growing tech industry.

I lived in TN and didn't like the weather. Too humid for me, and it's icy in winter. But, Chattanooga still might be a viable option. I know there is an airport in Nashville, and everyone in that area is routed through Atlanta.

Did anyone mention Atlanta? I know I read on the SF/Oakland forum that people from Atlanta are used to huge homes and have a hard time finding what they want for a similar price in the SF Bay Area, so Atlanta might be affordable, too, and it should have a thriving tech industry. Weather isn't as bad as TN, but is still humid and icy.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:16 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,579,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Can't beat the climate, or cultural activities in California. Great scenery. Move away from the main populated areas and costs become reasonable. Taxes are only high on the wealthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Not all new homes in CA have Mello Roos fees. We have purchased 5 new homes in San Diego, San Francisco Bay Area and Murrieta. None of them had Mello Roos nor additional fees other than some small fees. Our total tax rate was/is 1.12%. Ir depends if the developer paid for the infrastructure and included it in the price of the homes.
One of the top requests from the OP is a 2,000 sq. ft. home with enough property for gardening for under $300,000. Where would he get that in any of the places the SoCal people are mentioning? Several contributors have mentioned Murrieta, CA. I just looked and most single-family homes of his description are selling at $350,000 or more. Also, the closest Indian grocery store I know of is Indian Groceries and more on Jefferson Ave. in Temecula, if it's even still there as it has one star on Yelp. As for the international airport, from Murrieta/Temecula, he would have to go to LAX. Quite a drive.

OP, I can't come up with anyplace that meets ALL your criteria given the cost restrictions. One place that meets all except one (the not-too-hot-in-summer) would be Chandler, AZ. It's a suburb southeast of Phoenix. Chandler, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Population about 250,000, 8% Asian
-Tech capital of Metro Phoenix
-More culturally diverse and leans more politically liberal than other suburbs of Phoenix
-Low state taxes for retirees
-You can get a spacious, newer home under $300,000
-Two excellent public school districts, keeping property values high
-Reputation for solid local government and economic growth, also helps property values
-Chandler Arts Center Chandler Center for the Arts | Theatre | Entertainment - Chandler Center for the Arts
-Excellent park system Chandler Parks
-Chandler Regional Medical Center Chandler Regional Medical Center in Chandler, AZ - US News Best Hospitals
-Four Indian grocery stores
-More than a dozen Indian restaurants, including a banquet hall
-About 20 minutes from Sky Harbor International Airport with non-stop flights to India
-Chandler abuts Tempe, AZ, home of Arizona State University with all its activities
-There are Hindu and Buddhist temples in both Chandler and Tempe. Closest Jain and Sikh worship centers are in Phoenix.
-Easy access to I-10 giving you a quick drive to the City of Phoenix and a straight shot to LA, San Diego, Palm Springs, etc.

Yes, it's very hot in Southern Arizona in the summer. But the rest of the year it's beautiful. I'm sitting in suburban Tucson right now (first week of March) it's 75 degrees F, sunny with a light breeze. Flowers are starting to bloom in my yard. I've had geraniums all winter and my rose bushes (cut back in late January) are already in bud. I grow my own herbs all year. The thing about summer heat in Arizona is treating it like winter elsewhere. We do outdoor exercise very early in the morning, stay in our air conditioned homes during the day, when we go out we have air conditioned cars to drive us to air conditioned locations. When I lived east of the Mississippi my overall utility costs and taxes were much higher.

As I mentioned home values in Chandler are quite reasonable. Because of the net job growth there especially in the tech industry, if you bought a house there now you could rent it if you wanted to until you are ready to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
My friends (married couple, no children, closing in on 70 years of age) retired from their high tech jobs in CA last year and settled in Oro Valley, AZ. They were both NY natives except for the last 20 years. They wanted out of CA. They had relatives both in Albuquerque, Tucson and coastal CA so I think they knew what they were getting into.

I recently visited and they seem to be very happy with their choice for a retirement home; I don't see them pulling up stakes any time soon, probably never. It's hot in the summer, but cooler than Phoenix and even slightly cooler than downtown Tucson. And yes, it's dry heat. To put in context, my friends say it is fine playing golf mid afternoon up to about 100-105F. If it goes to more than that they stay inside.

There did seem to be some tech companies in the area, pharmaceuticals and such. I'd say you could purchase a home that meets the OP's specs as long as you stay out of the somewhat exclusive subdivisions with large homes, gated entry, etc.

The Mayor of Oro Valley is Satish Hiremath, a practising dentist of ethnic Indian origin. I think the area around Oro Valley, being near Tucson and about 1.5 hour drive to Phoenix Sky Harbor airport could meet several of andy1918's requirements.
I live three miles from Oro Valley and I do rate it high for retirees. You could get a nice home in or very near Oro Valley for under $300,000. Scenery is very beautiful. Oro Valley, although growing, is much quieter and less cosmopolitan than Chandler. You also won't find it to be nearly as culturally diverse (Asian population less than 2%), although as halberto noted, the mayor is Indian. The town is working hard to attract tech companies and has established a tech corridor like the one that's working so well in Chandler. Shopping and services are good but nothing compared to Chandler. There is a hospital that's a satellite to Tucson's Northwest Medical Center. The Tucson airport's flights are very limited, so you would have to use Sky Harbor in Phoenix for most of your travel. It's generally about 10 degrees cooler than the Phoenix Metro. We haven't had a flake of snow at my house since January 2014 and that melted in half a day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oro_Valley,_Arizona

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 03-06-2015 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-06-2015, 08:25 PM

15 posts, read 17,543 times
Great suggestions! Thanks all. I will look at the Phoenix area. Also, my wife thinks Reno is too cold in the winter for our taste as some of you have pointed out and she wants us to reconsider the Austin area such as Roundrock or Georgetown. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of areas surrounding Austin?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:01 PM

11,288 posts, read 8,467,169 times
Stay away from areas that farm using crop dusters, particularly on cotton crops.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1918 View Post
Great suggestions! Thanks all. I will look at the Phoenix area. Also, my wife thinks Reno is too cold in the winter for our taste as some of you have pointed out and she wants us to reconsider the Austin area such as Roundrock or Georgetown. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of areas surrounding Austin?
You might want to ask in the Austin thread. I have an acquaintance who lives there. He's mentioned the traffic is horrible because it's growing so much. He also mentioned allergies are a real problem for him there, including mold. He's looking at moving somewhere else. And remember the storms in TX that shut down the airports. It gets cold there, too.

I really like the people in TX, though. Very friendly and laid back culture.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:00 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,253,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
As for the international airport, from Murrieta/Temecula, he would have to go to LAX. Quite a drive.
San Diego International Airport is 30 miles closer and a much nicer drive.
Both Ontario (same distance as San Diego) and Palm Springs (same distance as LAX) are also international airports.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:29 PM

1,526 posts, read 988,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I have been to Chattanooga in the summer. 90 degrees and the humidity is more uncomfortable for me than 110 in Palm Springs. No thanks. It seemed as hot and humid as when I was in Tampa...

If the OP thinks Reno is too cold in the winter then you have basically written off anything in the West that is north and east of Northern California (other than Northern California itself).

Old 03-07-2015, 02:07 PM

446 posts, read 554,800 times
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Beautiful scenery, low living costs, affordable houses, wonderful climate. We have four season and all of them are nice. It's a resort area with shopping and restaurants.

40 minutes away from Spokane, which is kind of a pit of a city, but there's fun things to do there and it's nice to have a bigger city close by.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:45 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,074,191 times
Austin ...Round Rock/Georgetown are upscale suburbs of Austin, doubt you will find anything for $300k there since it's such a hot market. I think North Carolina would be more in line for you.

OP, in my opinion, I think your criteria are just too ideal and you won't find anyplace having all your wish list. Especially with what you can afford for housing. You're looking all over the US, which is really impractical, there's too many variables. I would pick your top 3 "musts" and go from there. I mean, just finding the weather you want is next to impossible, except is SoCal and you can't afford it here. If you can raise your housing to $400k, it might work. Wishing you all the best!

Last edited by loveautumn; 03-07-2015 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: add sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or