U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 AM

15 posts, read 17,533 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in our late 50s in a few years and we are trying to explore retirement cities/states, where we might buy a home pre-retirement. We realize there is no “perfect” city and we may have to live with some trade-offs. Any suggestions you have will be very welcome. Thanks!

The following are our criteria and preferences, roughly in priority sequence.

Wife wants to be sure it is a safe city/area with affordable housing where we can find at least a decent 3 BR 2000 sq ft garden home (We would take a mortgage and can stretch to the low $300K if needed.) She does not want a smaller house though I would not mind downsizing ☺

Not too cold in winter (no harsh long winters for us!), not terribly hot in summer though we prefer sunny

Tax friendly state (we will be living on pension income and some savings) or low combination of property/general state/income taxes

Proximity to a large international airport will be good as we will travel a lot and also be making frequent long trips to India where we have extended family members.

Being first-generation immigrants from India, it would be good for my wife to find Asian Indian communities/families/restaurants/stores/cultural associations nearby. Also I am politically independent and my wife leans liberal.

Proximity to the hi-tech/gaming/music industry as we hope our children (having interests in software engineering, music, game development, and multimedia) will eventually settle in the same city

Natural scenic places nearby but preferably a low allergy city/state

We are generally healthy but will have to rely on Obamacare (if it survives) for many years until Medicare kicks in.

(Initially, we had chosen Denver for a retirement city but it falls short on the weather criterion as it gets too cold in the winter and also the housing can be somewhat more expensive. The Austin area seems another possibility but the property taxes there seem to be increasing rapidly and can be unaffordable in the longer run, even if we could afford a house.)

Last edited by andy1918; 03-04-2015 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:13 AM

648 posts, read 497,811 times
Sacramento.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:20 AM

8,857 posts, read 5,136,100 times
Reno.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,749,105 times
Temecula Valley ( Temecula/Murrieta ) California. We retired here 13 years ago and love it.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:27 PM

14,035 posts, read 20,355,620 times
Mumbai

Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 AM

1,519 posts, read 975,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Mumbai
That's not very constructive...

I second Sacramento and Murrieta/Menifee.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Sacramento.
My one close friend who lives in Sacramento frets about the recent many 100+ degree summer temps, the drought, and the high taxes. She doesn't seem like the delusional type, is she mistaken?

Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 AM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
You won't find a huge home in Sacramento in a safe neighborhood for $300,000. Summers are hot, too. There is the evening Delta breeze, though, which is better than any other inland areas.

The upside to buying property in CA, is that the property taxes stay based on the purchase price of the home, with only something like a 1.5% increase max each year. When you factor that in to overall taxes, CA often comes out ahead to other states.

I just think this is another impossible dream. Safe, great weather, area with low pollen/mold/pollution, near an international airport, proximity to tech & music industries, and the clincher - a huge home for only $300,000.

I just don't think that exists. But, I wish you the best of luck and a happy retirement.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 AM

1,519 posts, read 975,653 times
If you want it a little cooler, you can go 45 minutes east up I-80 or highway 50. The elevation is higher and it's a little cooler. It can get over 100 in Murrieta also.

In terms of taxes, there have been threads about how the cost of living in California is not as bad as it seems due to the progressive tax structure. In addition property taxes are stable once you buy a house due to Proposition 13.

The analysis needs to be done to determine the real tax impact in someone's specific situation.

One other area that comes to mind that might meet the OP's needs would be North San Diego county (around Interstate 15). Now there you would get milder weather year-round. But the house would have to be smaller than 2,000 square feet.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1918 View Post
,,, where we might buy a home pre-retirement. We realize there is no “perfect” city ... (that is good!)

Not too cold in winter (no harsh long winters for us!), not terribly hot in summer though we prefer sunny (year round? that will require San Diego / Temecula (not tax friendly)

Tax friendly state (we will be living on pension income and some savings) or low combination of property/general state/income taxes

Proximity to a large international airport will be good as we will travel a lot and also be making frequent long trips to India where we have extended family members.

B... Asian Indian communities/families/restaurants/stores/cultural associations nearby.

Proximity to the hi-tech/gaming/music industry as we hope our children (having interests in software engineering, music, game development, and multimedia) will eventually settle in the same city

Natural scenic places nearby but preferably a low allergy city/state

We are generally healthy but will have to rely on Obamacare

(Initially, we had chosen Denver ...
Austin ...
PNW Can't beat the summers. WA is income tax free. OR is sales tax free (Retire to WA, shop / recreate in OR)

Camas, / Washougal, WA. MANY retiree India nationals (and other Asians, many International social events, grocery, and community groups), Tax free state, 10 min to income tax free and GAMING / trendy / music / weird Portland, OR (and nearby INTEL). (Direct flights to NAR, enroute to Asia), CHEAP direct flights to CA ($23.10 to SAN for CHEAP sun).

Bellingham / Ferndale, WA and enjoy proximity to Vancouver BC (airport and culture)
Many India nationals, also surprising number in Lynden, WA (Especially BC residents buying milk at Etaleen Dairy! (near border crossing). Edaleen Dairy Ice Cream Shop, Lynden - Restaurant Reviews & Phone Number - TripAdvisor

Austin proper has high property taxes. Great little towns nearby are many and taxes are less than 1/2 Austin, especially if you buy rural and a modular home. Wimberley is very nice and nearby, and closer to San Antonio (air alternatives 1 hr apart SAT vs AUS), Summer heat may drive you to PNW (Oregon / WA). We have rural (rental) homes each place; Income tax free TX (Kerrville) and WA. We live (for FREE) in cabin / guesthouse / apartment on the property. Main home is rented for 10% positive cash flow. Each location was under $100k and great views and much wildlife at the homes, recreation is 'just at the doorway in each place... Recreation center of region)! Since both TX and WA props (and CO props) are rentals that we repair and manage, travel between is a tax deductible expense AGAINST income generated from such!(within IRS rules) (it is better than a personal deduction 1:1 vs 1:90(10% tax rate as a retiree)). .

I spent 25+ yrs in Colorado, but Denver is not on my top 1,000 towns in Colorado.
Weather was VERY mild in Loveland / Berthoud (garden spot of Colorado). Sunny and allergy free for most part. Very EZ access to Boulder or Ft Collins (good place for your kids). Water is a BIG issue in Colorado. Buy a cheap home on acreage near town (but on well and with irrigation rights and a canal running through property. Another great choice in Colorado is Colorado Springs. Colorado is not as nationality diverse as CA or PNW.

I hate to be the bearer of BAD news... but you are not depending on Obamacare, it was only a 'loss leader' i.e. not funded. It was a perk to USA insurance and medical industry. It will be leaving us with dire options as retirees. As you know, India is very popular for medical tourism. Keep your ticket bought in case of emergency. As a USA 'BIG spender' with big bucks (by India standards) you will be well cared for in India (or Malaysia / Thailand / Philippines if you need something closer).

Your 'friends' in USA gov will bring you alternatives to ACA. They will be missing the first A (affordable). USA GOV has disbanded all of my affordable early retirement HC options (Retired pre age 50).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-05-2015 at 04:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or