U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That is so very true and could be a thread of its own.
Sadly, "God" could be construed as an inflammatory designation to some but it does occur to me that religion is also a lifestyle choice that can continue into retirement and a plan for it.

So let's see where, if anywhere, this goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM

71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times
no changes except alot more travel.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 PM

8,772 posts, read 7,698,666 times
We're going to severely downsize, sell the house, and go RVing.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 PM

65 posts, read 59,267 times
Life is what happens while you're making plans..sold my Company (thought I could never do that) and made plans to travel, then my Husband passed away. Got a part time job, play some golf, looking at warmer places (Florida) especially today..( it has snowed for 12 hours in NJ)! Looking at Florida for winters but it seems so overwhelming to pick one place to settle. Today someone mentioned Apollo Beach.. now that sends me in a whole new direction. Happens all the time.. Have friends in New symrna and Orlando but they're all boaters and I'm a golf/beach person.
Confused

Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I will have to work for a while to pay down some debt. Part-time would be nice. I'll stay in New Jersey for now because I have an elderly mother. This winter has felt horrible to me, though, so I might consider a little bit further south someday. Maybe northern Virginia.
Bite your tongue! Northern VA is in a horrific real estate bubble. The traffic is worse than LA. And it has become overrun with illegal aliens who have imported shigella, tuberculosis, some polio-like disease, some kind of respiratory illness other than TB which is a killer, and who suck funds from county social services as if they were vacuum cleaners. Of course, this has driven taxes up like mad. Finally - no offense meant - there are so many people from the Northeast screeching on the streets that it is no place to have any peace. It used to be calmer when the Northeast had enough jobs to entice the natives to stay.

You do NOT want to be stuck in Northern Virginia. It is a way station because it has decent employment. However, that pushes the prices of everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - sky high.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,834,022 times
We have made so many changes over the last few years that it is crazy. We lived in our house in western PA for over 30 years when we decided to move to a 55+ in South Carolina. No family there, just less winter and (supposedly) less taxes. We downsized from a 4 level split level home with 1.5 acres to single level 1900 sf with .14 acres. Got rid of a bunch of stuff, some of which was hard, but didn't have a whole lot of storage here. Still had stuff to get rid of once we got here.

Seven years later, we are selling this house and moving to another 55+ in Dover, DE to be closer to our daughter, who at one time thought she would eventually move to the DC area but instead went from central NY to coastal CT. And now we are upsizing a bit from the 1900 to about 2300 so that DH can have his "man cave" by way of a loft, and a 50% increase in the lot size. Also have space for when DD visits (complete with full bath), plus quite a bit more storage room. This should be our "right sized" house. As with others life happens, and we have had to do this with me still on a walker from a hip replacement gone bad. It's been 4 months now and I still have problems, but slowly getting better. DH has had to do pretty much everything around here, including the packing for staging, cleaning, cooking, etc. etc. etc. Plus he will have to do the rest of the packing as well. I finally talked him into using a moving company, although he has only agreed to allow them to pack the kitchen and some large artwork. Luckily the loft/steps is HIS space!

At the time we moved down here I made the statement that I was only coming out of here on a stretcher or in a box. So I told DH that he is going to have to put me in a box and wheel me out! I have assured him this is the last one as we really can't afford either money or effort to do this again.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 PM

7,291 posts, read 15,345,231 times
We moved to a beautiful rural area and did not realize how much a 100% car-dependent life-style would get tiring. A mile and a half to the nearest neighbor, 45 minutes to the grocery store, an hour to a hospital/medical, at least 2 and a half hours to a good restaurant... after 7 years we packed it in and moved over the mountains to a small city to be less than 5 minutes to grocery/shopping/medical/restaurants and within walking distance to many things, including parks and hiking trails.

We took a bit of a financial beating on our "forever" house, but we are happier here.

We've talked about our contingency plans for when there is only one of us - the spouse wants to stay here, I will probably pack up and move closer to our only child, even though I detest the Los Angeles area where he lives. He'd be the only family I have left at that point, though - I've no parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, only a few distant cousins scattered around the US.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:49 AM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Retirement was full of drastic changes for me. Went from a 3800SF waterfront home in MN to 1500SF in Las Vegas. Lost 8 months of winter per year and a 100 mile per day commute too. Gained a swimming pool and the free time to use it.

Got to become reacquainted with how to live cheap and make the most of what you have. It's a change in mindset to go from being able to buy whatever you want to budgeting for the basics like food and utilities. Still beats the heck out of working all the time.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:26 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Bite your tongue! Northern VA is in a horrific real estate bubble. The traffic is worse than LA. And it has become overrun with illegal aliens who have imported shigella, tuberculosis, some polio-like disease, some kind of respiratory illness other than TB which is a killer, and who suck funds from county social services as if they were vacuum cleaners. Of course, this has driven taxes up like mad. Finally - no offense meant - there are so many people from the Northeast screeching on the streets that it is no place to have any peace. It used to be calmer when the Northeast had enough jobs to entice the natives to stay.

You do NOT want to be stuck in Northern Virginia. It is a way station because it has decent employment. However, that pushes the prices of everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - sky high.
Wow, my son and family love it there and we love it there and most I talk to love it there and most I knew over the years loved it there. Now when it comes to retirement some like to move on.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
We changed most everything. We are still active in church, but otherwise it is all different.

For the first 25 years of our marriage, we were apart most of it. My career required that I was deployed a lot.

We moved around a lot. Generally every 3 years we were transferred, a couple times it was 4 years, but other times it was months.

After I retired, we cashed-out our investment portfolio. We bought rural forest land, and began building a farmhouse. Now we grow crops, that I sell at a Farmer's Market. I raised livestock. Our freezers are filled with food that we grew.

We have now lived in this house longer, than any home we have owned previously. We just settled and took root in one spot. Which has allowed us to get active in community. I serve on the board of a couple different organizations [private non-profits, and quasi-government agencies].

I went from nuclear weapons strategy and killing people, to growing things and organics.

Our 'retirement plan' has been to change our lifestyle in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement