U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,335,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This discussion struck some feelings with me. When I am asked what I do, I will consider a different response than say I am retired. Instead I am an emerging artist and photographer.
Hey! How about this alternative to the term, "retired?"

Recovering Worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,263,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I confess I am marveling at this discussion. And I'm lost as toe what the conversation is really about. Is it about some apparent angst that people have about "defining" oneself" in retirement -- or how one who is "retired" is defined by others? I don't get it.
I think it alludes to the fact that a lot of people do define themselves AND others by their work, I definitely understood the OP's inquiry from that standpoint. Once you're "out there" as a retiree and meeting someone the subject comes up naturally if you look to be of retirement age, or the question of "what do you do" comes up, and you say "I'm retired", either way you're looked at with a sense of dismissal, be it subtle or not. You have assumed the identity of the non person.

The big unsaid aspect of those conversations is the understanding of you, the retiree, being in the Autumn of life. I don't know if that makes some people uneasy or they simply can not fathom not working, and that goes back to the definition thing wherein those still working are trying to pigeonhole you for the sake of relating to you. I find myself trying to explain my days as being a thing of joy and contentment, but it'd be easier if I just said I was a plumber.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
I thinks perhaps it more the retirees seeing themselves that way; more than others. Even when it comes up its often with strangers looking to make polite conversation. I found it as boring then as I do now. Want to lose my interest then start talking about what you use to do; unless its a funny.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:53 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Let me clarify my OP. My sentiment is based on seven plus years after ceasing to work. We are settled in a new location with a lifestyle very different than when we were working and or raising a family. It is not the reaction of the external world it is my own internalizing our current lifestyle which is great and would be at any age and lack of employment. The lack of employment is a free time component. Yes we embraced retirement for a number of years but it is in trying to reflect that it becomes more the here and now and the opportunities that await.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
I haven't really experienced such in my now 14 years retired. Sure life has changed but its nothing about working or not . As to here and now perhaps its amid retirement crisis so to speak which I never experienced really. Perhaps you just reflect more on past in comparison and I never have been much at that unless with friends recalling our past deeds or misdeeds as case maybe. Certainly not work itself.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:20 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Just had dinner with a younger (44) former co-worker who is being degraded and emotionally tortured in her job after having the same thing happen at our mutual job. I have had that experience. I have never been able to say, "I am a ___" regarding work. It's "I work at _____ as a ______." It is not who I am, and I've experienced that sharp misery of eating serious crapola for a living in order to keep that living, and I mean more than the little daily things that come up in every job (I guess). In talking with her, I felt almost guilty that I am closer to retirement and closer to walking away from situations where you have to take serious denigration in order to keep getting that necessary paycheck. I can only imagine the freedom of not being in that position again. (And her job is in a rural area where there just aren't other jobs around- one reason I've opted to stay in a major metro area although have felt drawn to a more rural life).

Earning a living is an honorable necessity. Being degraded and battered in pettiness to the point of being unable to earn that living is a circle of hell. I never wanted to be under the thumb in any way, and consider retirement the way out.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:17 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
It took me exactly as long as I have been here to become who I am today. I have never been my work. Work is what I did to finance my 'real' life outside of work.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:54 AM

4,437 posts, read 2,612,363 times
Is there life after retirement? Retirement IS THE LIFE YOU MAKE NOW.
Well, the next stage after retirement, somewhere, someday, someway, is DEATH. Then you become part of the "dearly departed"!
Is that what you were after? Somehow I don't think that was what you meant.

"Retirement is retirement", no matter if short or long. Maybe you can be classified as the "traveling retirees", or the "stay at home retirees", OR you could go do volunteer work and become the "volunteering retirees".

The cable channel RLTV is FILLED with ideas for RETIRED LIVING. So check them out for shows like "Second Act" or "What Next", and the like. The cover medical issues for senior and how to cope, what to do, etc In the medical shows. They even have a book show if you are heavily into reading books! They also cover issues with second jobs, what to do to enhance your marketable skills to an employer for later in life jobs, if you aren't already, the shows will "bring you into the 21st century". There are even traveling shows for senior travel. We don't watch it all the time, but certainly enjoy the shows we do watch! One guy on a show called "What's Next" was in his 50s and HAD NEVER TOUCHED A COMPUTER. He said "I got through all my life without touching one and I think I can finish life without ever touching one"! BOY WAS HE WRONG! HE ended up learning some basic computer skills, and doing volunteer work at a senior center to fill his void, as he thought "paying jobs define you" {he was a manual mchinist}!!

I am "early medically retired" {TG for insurance}, but MOH {My Other Half} is still working at two jobs. I still consider us the "working class stiffs", so to speak. I am actually thinking about going back to work, but don't know if anyone would hire me, my computer skills are somewhat crappy and I DO have physical limitations. Even sitting at the computer for about an hour or two is taxing to me. Four hours a day is about all I can handle if I go back to work. I have always worked hard and had more than one job, I'd be lucky to score a part time job now. I STILL have working time "ahead of me" and would like to have "something to do". Of course I am in the "no hire 50's" now, but I can offer a company some added benefits in hiring a handicapped person. I CAN offer something, I am sure, maybe I'll start back by volunteering again. Give me something on my resume that is better than the dead space. I DON'T expect us to be "retired" until 70 at least. I need to find a niche an fill it, for pay preferably then. Or volunteer at something that can work into a paying job. There MUSt be something I'll fit into.
AND for someone who has always worked two or more jobs, it will be a challenge ! AND I LOVE challenges!
THEN: we'd LIKE to be the "traveling retirees"! OR the DUAL Climate zone retirees! But that is still about 14 years off...Hence the reason I'd like to go back to work. We'd like to pick up a property in the warm zone for winter, even perhaps a tropical country for some international flair. I don't know and won't know until we are fully "there".

IN short, RETIREMENT IS what YOU Make of it! Don't look for definitions, and DO something YOU'D LIKE To do, but never "had the time". DO something wild and crazy sometimes, just to say you did it! DO something creative, like take an art class.... Or take a trip-day trips- around your area looking at things in your own backyard you didn't know where there!

RETIREMENT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT TO BE.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:39 AM

56,085 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This discussion struck some feelings with me. When I am asked what I do, I will consider a different response than say I am retired. Instead I am an emerging artist and photographer.
Yup! I will say I am a writer, working on my great American novel!

Old 03-06-2015, 05:43 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I haven't really experienced such in my now 14 years retired. Sure life has changed but its nothing about working or not . As to here and now perhaps its amid retirement crisis so to speak which I never experienced really. Perhaps you just reflect more on past in comparison and I never have been much at that unless with friends recalling our past deeds or misdeeds as case maybe. Certainly not work itself.
No. I don't reflect that's the point. It is life in a new context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or