U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 04:12 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,708,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you drive and have AAA you should compare.
20% discount at Best Western Hotels for AAA.

And Denny's discount (breakfast 24/7/365 ) doesn't even ask for any card.
AARP is a lot cheaper than AAA but I feel like I get more for my money with AAA so it's worth it to me. I don't think AARP is going to send someone out to tow me in if I have a problem while traveling or bring me gas or a battery if needed, etc.. And the discounts are better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 04:29 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,622,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
AARP is a lot cheaper than AAA but I feel like I get more for my money with AAA so it's worth it to me. I don't think AARP is going to send someone out to tow me in if I have a problem while traveling or bring me gas or a battery if needed, etc.. And the discounts are better.
I have AAA primarily because of the truck. The discounts is a side benefit for me.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM

685 posts, read 566,130 times
There's no value add here from me because I agree with every person who commented. But, there's always room for a quick story . When my elementary school classmates and I were hitting 50, those of us who had AARP for any period of time agreed it was a waste of money. A number of us felt they were not representing our views. If we had it, we dropped it. I'm over 60 now and I still won't touch them again as there's no need.

I don't know what the cost of AARP is these days and we also stick to AAA. Discounts are acceptable on the rare occasions we've wanted them and it covers multiple vehicles for us. AARP absolutely floods you with various offers and they flow out to insurance companies and other things we do not want.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM

2,947 posts, read 3,064,388 times
I use it only for the tax prep benefit. It's free and saves me at least $100/year. Other than that, I don't agree with their politics and as mentioned, you can get the same discounts by just asking for a senior rate.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 PM

4,454 posts, read 2,632,495 times
Worth $16/year?
We say YES! Every penny!
We have had AARP since my spouse turned 48 actually {born before 1960 may have something to do with it}, they came a courting that early.

WE save that alone at places like Denny's Diner, where they give a percentage off your meal bill all day long, and we don't eat out that much.
At hotels, once we get the price ironed out, we whip out the AARP card for additional discount. They sometimes argue, but if the chain is listed as accepting it, tehy should give you a discount. DON'T let on right away that you are an AARP member OR Seeking a "senior discount" as OFTEN that price is NOT any deal, do the deal, then offer your card, Then you know you are really saving.

Other discounts may require one to be "60, 65" in age, but Not with AARP discount,ASk for an AARP discount and even if they DON'T take it, you usually *magically qualify* for senior discounts, even IF require to be a higher age for the senior discount!
Oh,and YES,they KNOW exactly when everyone turns 50, and WILL make your life a living hell sending you requests and offers to join until you do. I got offers 4 years later at age 49 to join, I finally got that stopped as I AM A MEMBER on my spouse's membership {can even be a simple S/O to join on too, doesn't have to be spouse I think}
TRy it for a year, see what you think, you only have $16 to lose!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,587,787 times
Usually if you look like a senior, no one even bothers to ask for proof.

AARP or aaa.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,396,108 times
AARP is a VERY liberal politically leaning group, google it and see who/what they support.

One reason we are not interested in supporting their cause personally, but to each their own. Only feel it is important if it matters to you. We find the normal sr discounts & military discounts do fine for us. (retired military, sr qualified by age).

They made $2.8 BILLION by supporting Obamacare cuts. http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/201...s-to-medicare/

Last edited by Paka; 03-06-2015 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 08:03 AM

10,489 posts, read 5,955,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I use it only for the tax prep benefit. It's free and saves me at least $100/year. Other than that, I don't agree with their politics and as mentioned, you can get the same discounts by just asking for a senior rate.
I have been meaning to look at this but I got the impression it's for retired or low income, correct? I'm 55 and still working

As for the topic I joined after years of mailers when it was $16 for 2 people/year on a promo. If nothing else it saves us about $4 on popcorn and a soft drink at the local theaters. As we go to the movies fairly regularly it paid for itself in about 2 months. On top of that I got roadside assistant with Allstate through AARP that was less expensive than AAA. And my wife actually scans the magazine. So yeah, it's more than paid for itself.

It's $16 folks. It's not that hard to recoup that type of investment with a few discounts.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 AM

29,837 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuard View Post
I am 50 and am getting aarp stuff in mail. I checked out motel discounts and some don't give aarp discounts til age 55 and most say up to 10% off. Anybody have any insight for me?
Great articles and information on a range of topics if such interests you. Good financial, health info etc etc etc. One of the more cost effective wider ranging information subscriptions available. To each their own as history has shown AARP has strong supporters and detractors. Do some independent checking and best of luck making your own best choice decision.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 AM

29,837 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Just curious about some of the AARP political leaning comments. Do you shop for food and other products based on the political leanings and campaign contributions of the company? If so why not? If not sure, there is a smart phone app that will help you to make political based decisions across the shopping spectrum.
BuyPartisan | Discover a company's political spending

Have a go at it and get your politics driven life really in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or