U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 AM

4,915 posts, read 4,081,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Worth $16/year?
We say YES! Every penny!
Oh,and YES,they KNOW exactly when everyone turns 50, and WILL make your life a living hell sending you requests and offers to join until you do.
TRy it for a year, see what you think, you only have $16 to lose!
Nope, I will NEVER join AARP, because I will not have one penny of mine willingly going to a left liberal leaning organization like AARP.

I get mailings from them all the time. Luckily for me, I walk past my recycling bin when I bring my mail in, so those vile mailings never even pass my threshold! Straight into the bin they go.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,842,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Nope, I will NEVER join AARP, because I will not have one penny of mine willingly going to a left liberal leaning organization like AARP.
That's funny! I'm left-leaning and I wouldn't join AARP, either!

They try to hard, in my opinion.

Those commercials...although I mute all commercials, many times I unfortunately can't help actually seeing them.

Retired life is all roses if you have AARP! har har

Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,551,122 times
I'm also left-leaning. And I'm puzzled by people who think AARP is left-leaning. I haven't and probably never will join them because they screwed over their target demographic last time the Medicare pharmacy benefits were in question. That's hardly the action of a left-leaning organization. It's the action of a big insurance broker in a lousy disguise.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 AM

7,120 posts, read 8,174,638 times
The politics of AARP were very much on my mind when I began getting their mailings, many years ago. It is not just a matter of, "It's only $16!". If you financially support any conservative organizations - as we do - then spending money on AARP makes your other donations worthless. Please think of that before you join...you are paying to fight the very groups you support!

I am 67, wife is 65. We retired 2 years ago; I did so by selling my business. The sales agreement stipulates that I will be an "employee" for life (though I don't actually work), and entitled to company medical insurance for self and wife. Thus, neither of us is interested in Medicare.

Well you would have thought the roof fell in, when I turned 65, and again when my wife turned 65. Do you know how difficult it is to decline Medicare? They just couldn't seem to get it right by mail or by phone. We ended up having to go to the nearest SS office to speak with them in person. Otherwise, we would have been billed for Part B!

And we were once again bombarded with AARP mail, so positive were they that we would be enrolling in Medicare and would want their "insurance" coverage for Part D and some other thing I can't even remember. These people are nothing but shills for insurance companies.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM

30,721 posts, read 49,529,915 times
It is my understanding that AARP is very active in politics. They use their membership numbers to make claims before congress to support various agendas.

If you do not mind them using your money to lobby in your name for things, ... then great.

I am careful with who I join, because I do not want my money going to lobby for things I do not want.

Up until after I retired, we always bought 10 to 20 year old beater vehicles. Now one of the things we have changed is that now we buy new cars. In buying new cars, we get a wide variety of benefits included with the purchase. Free towing, discounts, etc. To us membership in AAA would be redundant.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM

56,305 posts, read 54,748,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you drive and have AAA you should compare.
20% discount at Best Western Hotels for AAA.

And Denny's discount (breakfast 24/7/365 ) doesn't even ask for any card.
Beat me to it. Every time I've checked the AAA discount is the best one.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM

56,305 posts, read 54,748,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Usually if you look like a senior, no one even bothers to ask for proof.

AARP or aaa.
LOL. A coworker of mine was buying the senior citizen price ticket at the kiosk at the movies for years before he even turned 60. He said none of those kids who take your ticket at the entrance to the theater areas was going to stop him and ask him if he was really a senior, and they don't know the difference between a 50-year-old and a 62-year-old anyway.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:46 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,622,595 times
When I get mailings to join this or that and they have a postage paid envelope I stick all their material back into the envelope and mail it back to them. I write "No thanks" on the application form.

I guess it pays off because after a few mailings I don't get their crap anymore.

And I've ventured that I'm not the only one doing it because more and more I see their envelopes without the "postage paid" stamp on them.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,396,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The politics of AARP were very much on my mind when I began getting their mailings, many years ago. It is not just a matter of, "It's only $16!". If you financially support any conservative organizations - as we do - then spending money on AARP makes your other donations worthless. Please think of that before you join...you are paying to fight the very groups you support!

I am 67, wife is 65. We retired 2 years ago; I did so by selling my business. The sales agreement stipulates that I will be an "employee" for life (though I don't actually work), and entitled to company medical insurance for self and wife. Thus, neither of us is interested in Medicare.

Well you would have thought the roof fell in, when I turned 65, and again when my wife turned 65. Do you know how difficult it is to decline Medicare? They just couldn't seem to get it right by mail or by phone. We ended up having to go to the nearest SS office to speak with them in person. Otherwise, we would have been billed for Part B!

And we were once again bombarded with AARP mail, so positive were they that we would be enrolling in Medicare and would want their "insurance" coverage for Part D and some other thing I can't even remember. These people are nothing but shills for insurance companies.
THANK YOU!!!! Glad we are not the only ones that "get it". Those that question it in a prior post obviously are out of step with "those in the middle" judged on the number of post and reps for those that agree.....funny how those WAY out there feel they are so in line with others in their thought processes......

And I do EXACTLY the same with that crap that is postage paid...interesting how quickly our mailbox clears of of all that junk mail when you do!!!

Old 03-06-2015, 11:37 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,533,374 times
I recommend that the OP google AARP discounts and try to determine if these would be of benefit. I joined AARP (3 year membership) around 56 and have not used the discounts much. The restaurants are not the ones that I frequent and my employment allows me to get a discount at many hotels that is greater than the AARP discount. However, I recently stayed at a La Quinta in an expensive city and recouped all my AARP membership costs in one weekend. As far as AAA, my car insurance includes road assistance. All the AARP junk mail has been annoying and the magazine is okay but gets repetitive. The magazine Medicare information may be useful but will likely change in 6 years when I become eligible and the health information is geared toward older people. I probably will not renew my membership but may consider renewing when closer to Medicare age or after retirement for travel discounts. Also as a federal employee, I am joining NARFE which is a similar organization to AARP for feds and offers some discounts. Am hoping that their retirement information will be more specific to my circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or