Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM

60 posts, read 188,045 times

Advertisements

I have read the information about The Villages in Florida and the Hot Springs Village and they sound great except for the weather.

Do any of you know of any other "villages" where the mode of travel can be via golf cart? I am looking for a good spot weatherwise. AND SADLY IT MUST BE RELATIVELY LOW-COST. I can't go over $150K for a house.

It surprises me that there is so little information IN ONE PLACE on the web as to senior "villages." It's really hard to locate what I'm hoping for -- a laid-back village-type of thing, it can be all seniors or mixed, and is somewhat self-contained in that on-site are little stores, bank branches, etc. There is one in Tucson (or was) when I lived there that had about 550 square foot modular homes and golf carts and cars both shared the roads -- but the weather removes it from my list. Hubby can't manage either extreme heat or cold.

I'm trying to locate a place where my husband will be able to get around in a golf cart or walk a tiny bit to some stores or get a cup of coffee each day. It is just too hard on some seniors to lose the ability to drive and become either house-bound or always having to ask for a ride. I will be working and unavailable to drive him about, and anyway, he wants to be able to get around himself.

An area with good transportation so he could hop a bus or tram and go about would also be great. Any "downtown" type area would be great. We have considered Indianapolis but he can't take the cold, and some of the other cool downtown areas were out of our price range.

Thanks very much if anyone knows a good place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 12:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,429,401 times
Well if he cant stand the cold or the heat, it really limits anyplace. I would suggest maybe North Carolina in the piney forests of the piedmont in the middle. There are occasional snows but it doesnt get really cold and it does get somewhat hot but not like Arizona or Florida. I loved it and could stay inside for those few times when I did not like the weather.

Now the issue of transportation is the hardest. You could see if any of the areas like Cary(suburb of Raleigh) have some downtown residences or senior housing. You might even ask about places like Mt. Airy, Winston Salem, etc. There are some small towns were the access to facilities is good. For Raleigh there are neighborhoods just north of the downtown that have housing and shopping close by. Not golf cart though but maybe walking or a three wheeled bike. He could also get a Segway and be the sexy older gentleman riding around. Would get a lot of compliments and like a dog, start a lot of conversations.

I think if you cannot find a senior village, you might try to find an older established neighborhood in a city like Raleigh that has neighborhood stores and facilities. I found them in Indy, Louisville, and most anywhere of that size. Just ask around for the features you would like on these boards.

First concentrate on the exact weather pattern you can handle because no sense making recommendations if his requirements are so specific.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,850,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneysuckleHobo View Post
Hubby can't manage either extreme heat or cold.
[/b]
I hope you find what you're looking for. Hot Springs Village in Arkansas gets very hot in the summer. It probably wouldn't be right for you.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:56 PM

9,501 posts, read 16,397,168 times
I currretly am living in what has become the model of vibrant downtown living. Portland, Oregon. All types of transit and living arrangements in a urban setting. THere are some really good points to it, such as I have not put gas in my vehicle for two months. I walk, take all this transit, and then walk somemore every day. The thing I have really noticed here is, Portland is made to feel like a huge city, but is really very small, it is extremely densely populated, and can be to much at times because of that close in feeling. There is way to much crime, drugs and homeless camps all around for a older person to feel comfortable or safe. If you live in a downtown, you will need a car to escape to the countryside now and then, or shopping, owning one means expensive parking and renting one is the usual recommendation. If you move to a downtown in a larger city. Do yourself a favor and make sure it is one that is not mostly populated by the young urban professionals as Portland's is. We all need social interaction and Portland and the few cities that attract the ultra liberal and Radical young set congregate in Portland and San Francisco and a few others. It means you will find few your age group and it becomes an unwelcoming feeling. I don't think I would move into a downtown again unless its downtown and metro area were much more age proportinate than Portland's is. Its has been a learning experience for me, I am still a very young retiree, and I am learning from this mistake I made. I am focusing now on the eastern USA which is where I come from. I plan on making my move during the summer of 09. I have found I want a medium size metro area with a more diverse population. Where I don't have to pay huge amounts for parking because the locals feel we should all be environmentalist and not own a car in the first place. I want a community that actually is one and where people actually do believe in live and let live without radicalism. I would try smaller downtowns if I were u, finding one in the warmer climates is difficult though. If to hot or to cold is a problem, then finding something becomes way to difficult if not impossible. You may have to settle on something in a warmer place and take some time away in the summer months. For me I have realized this. If one wants warmer climates, lower cost living with some form of public transit and walkable downtowns and parks the options are very limited. There is a smaller city in Florida, that has some of your requirements, it is between Orlando and Tampa (Lakeland) It is cheaper by Florida standards, I think alot have not discovered it yet, to be frank. I don't know about retirement village type settings, but you might want to check it out if a smaller area with an actual downtown with shops and bus service appeals to you. Of course you would want to spend some time away part of the summer because of the heat.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:49 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,207,300 times
Very nice post, jimrob~~~ Portland was actually my first choice to move when I retire (next month). But, I believe that the climate would be difficult for me to contend with. ALso, it seems to be mostly a city of young people. It's so beautiful, though. I just can not make up my mind.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 PM

60 posts, read 188,045 times
Thank you's to sweetana3, normie, and jimrob1 for your replies.

It is very hard to find a place for us. Plus I have to look at a place that isn't just for right now, but for later too, as we age even more. I have to keep working, too.

Sadly, Portland is out of our reach financially. I used to live in "Mac" just down the road and even it is out of our reach. When I was 20, all I had to do was look at a map and decide where I wanted to move (excepting places like Manhattan and Malibu, etc). Now, it's all "But can we afford the housing???"

I'm surprised that Hot Springs gets hot. For some weird reason I was thinking it stayed cool in summer, maybe I was confusing it with Eureka Springs or something.

Unfortunately, my husband could not use a Segway. He can't even ride a bike or walk more than a tiny bit. I like the 3-wheel scooter idea, hadn't really considered it.

Last edited by HoneysuckleHobo; 05-02-2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 05-02-2008, 04:13 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,231,069 times
Dell Webb has several communities around the country where you can get around by golf cart, if you can stand the sameness of the homes.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:41 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,635,835 times
Take a look at Knoxville, TN. It may be possible to get a loft condo downtown for your price if you look hard.
The downtown area is small and redeveloping. You'd be a few steps from twice-weekly farmer's markets in the spring and summer, ice skating in the winter, free trolleys that go to the museum and University of Tennessee.
Lots of a little shops and cafes and coffee houses, library. They just built a big movie theater multiplex downtown and there are various live theater and music venues. All in a rather small area.
Knoxville offers door to door transportation for those who are certified as handicapped.
KAT - Knoxville Area Transit
Click on "Special Programs" and then on "The Lift."
You'll find cheaper condos in Fountain City, a "trolley car suburb" north of Knoxville. Has a nice little downtown with a library, park and duck pond, craft center, restaurants and a very strong sense of community.
Fountain City, Tennessee: Places and People Who Made a Difference

Old 05-02-2008, 05:51 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,207,300 times
Take a look at Knoxville, TN. It may be possible to get a loft condo downtown for your price if you look hard.

Can you really find a condo for that price? What is Knoxville like and how would the native Knoxvillians feel about Northerners moving there? I know that some places resent newcomers.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-03-2008, 04:18 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,635,835 times
Knoxville is friendly and tolerant of northerners. They're generally respectful of others. Anyone who exercises common courtesy will do fine.
For downtown, $150,000 is doable but you'd have to do some looking and bargaining. $175,000-$200,000 would get a brand new loft in a restored building. The downtown market is trying to find a level right now. There's been a lot of building and prices were going up, now they're dropping a bit.
In Fountain City, you can have your pick at $150,000 and even buy a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo for less than $100,000. Older but nice and well equipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement