U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Retiring early seems to be a mantra until people find out what it is really going to cost. Especialy heath care. AND the "Affordable Care ACt" has only made things worse! It is HARDLY "AFFORDABLE".

We spent 60% of our GROSS INCOME last year on health care ALONE. AND we have 3 income streams.

I am early medically retired, and thusly have Medicare- "FREE HEALTH COVERAGE" They like to call it. I have to PAY for it and PAY for a supplemental insurance and PAY a premium for prescription coverage.THEN the CO-PAYS on the scripts I am SUPPOSED To take are another rediculous amount PER MONTH..In order to reduce the out-of pocket on the scripts this year, I am cutting out vital scripts and "taking my chances" as I/we cannot afford it. I had surgery just now, and will again in the fall if not before...

My spouse works two jobs, and has insurance through one job for MOH {My Other Half} alone. Cost is Premiums, And comes with a HIGH COST deductible out of pocket on top, then comes a 20% copay until another HIGH threashold is reached on top, again OUT OF POCKET. MOH had to have an MRI And had a surgery, and we found out MOH has a bone diseased hip, which will eventully need replacing! Cost for the two of us on a 'family plan'? HALF MOH's GROSS INCOME, for Both jobs, FOR PREMIUM ALONE.

NOW add Dental... a bargain at MOH's work, comparatively, and we get a 60% discount at the CLINIC we are lucky enough to belong to. {any one up to $48K gross a year is eligible and we are below that}. BUT a root canal, two crowns, an extraction, and a repaired partial and other routine and other work added up substantially, but you gotta eat, right? {I have bad teeth, and MOH's are aging as well}.

MOH is planning to work to age 70 if they will have MOH that long, and I am considering trying to go back to work, {to age 70 if I actually can work and someone will actually hire me}, so we will both have "FREE medicare" health insurance {medicare} in about 13 years IF I DO go back, and, in just 9 years if I don't.
At the rate we are going, we will have "free medicare" AND qualify for "free medicaid" by then too, as we will be dead broke!

At this rate, we WON'T BE ABLE TO RETIRE AND afford health care!
You paid 60% of income on healthcare and you have Medicare plus a supplement? What in the world is that supplement; I'd like to know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM

10,484 posts, read 5,947,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Retiring early seems to be a mantra until people find out what it is really going to cost. Especialy heath care. AND the "Affordable Care ACt" has only made things worse! It is HARDLY "AFFORDABLE".

We spent 60% of our GROSS INCOME last year on health care ALONE. AND we have 3 income streams.

I am early medically retired, and thusly have Medicare- "FREE HEALTH COVERAGE" They like to call it. I have to PAY for it and PAY for a supplemental insurance and PAY a premium for prescription coverage.THEN the CO-PAYS on the scripts I am SUPPOSED To take are another rediculous amount PER MONTH..In order to reduce the out-of pocket on the scripts this year, I am cutting out vital scripts and "taking my chances" as I/we cannot afford it. I had surgery just now, and will again in the fall if not before...

My spouse works two jobs, and has insurance through one job for MOH {My Other Half} alone. Cost is Premiums, And comes with a HIGH COST deductible out of pocket on top, then comes a 20% copay until another HIGH threashold is reached on top, again OUT OF POCKET. MOH had to have an MRI And had a surgery, and we found out MOH has a bone diseased hip, which will eventully need replacing! Cost for the two of us on a 'family plan'? HALF MOH's GROSS INCOME, for Both jobs, FOR PREMIUM ALONE.

NOW add Dental... a bargain at MOH's work, comparatively, and we get a 60% discount at the CLINIC we are lucky enough to belong to. {any one up to $48K gross a year is eligible and we are below that}. BUT a root canal, two crowns, an extraction, and a repaired partial and other routine and other work added up substantially, but you gotta eat, right? {I have bad teeth, and MOH's are aging as well}.

MOH is planning to work to age 70 if they will have MOH that long, and I am considering trying to go back to work, {to age 70 if I actually can work and someone will actually hire me}, so we will both have "FREE medicare" health insurance {medicare} in about 13 years IF I DO go back, and, in just 9 years if I don't.
At the rate we are going, we will have "free medicare" AND qualify for "free medicaid" by then too, as we will be dead broke!

At this rate, we WON'T BE ABLE TO RETIRE AND afford health care!
While I am not doubting your figures your anger is misplaced The ACA is not to blame for your rates, they have been going up long before ObamaCare kicked in.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM

4,451 posts, read 2,626,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While I am not doubting your figures your anger is misplaced The ACA is not to blame for your rates, they have been going up long before ObamaCare kicked in.

No, you have no idea, do you, because you weren't in our shoes?

Before ACA, we paid exactly $150./month for years for both of us to have full health care coverage. co-pays of up to $150/year on scripts ONLY. No copays on anything else!

AS soon as ACA went into effect, it all changed, not a day before.

Now? I pay $300+/month + script copays {supposed to be $575/month, but I forego a LOT of scripts now} and MOH pays $50/month + $2600 deductible/yr before any insurance kicks in + $5-$10 or higher for generic scripts..
Thanks all to ACA.

Before ACA? See the doctor in 2-3 days, Now? Wait 2.5-3 WEEKS to see the {same} doctor!
Thanks all to the ACA.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 PM

10,484 posts, read 5,947,197 times
Can't help but wonder why your rates went up so much more than the rest of us. I have seen several posters excluding myself all say the same thing: our rates went up every year long before the ACA and they did not see the ACA as adding a lot to their costs. That's certainly been my experience.

Now can we automatically assume that all of your increases were a direct result of the ACA? That without it you would have had no increase what so ever this year? I'm not so sure but if I were in your shoes it sure would feel like it.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:34 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,530,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Can't help but wonder why your rates went up so much more than the rest of us.
We all know why someone's rates would go up due to ACA. They think it's because they have to start paying for everyone else. In reality, it's because everyone else is done paying for them.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:42 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,229,527 times
First, let me say I think we've all done a very good job of having contextual comments on health insurance in general WITHOUT derailing the thread....too far, for too long

Quote:
We all know why someone's rates would go up due to ACA. They think it's because they have to start paying for everyone else. In reality, it's because everyone else is done paying for them.
Touche' -- but do we really know which is correct?

Anyone know of any exposes or source for info on TRUE medical costs? WHY does an operation or why do certain treatments cost TENS-of-thousands of dollars. WHY do hospitals charge 20.00 for an aspirin I can get off the shelf at Walmart?

And where dos the money trail REALLY go? I mean there are a lot of factors:
-- doctors who make in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions -- but their own malpractice insurance is high, and they have huge school loans
-- hospitals who have to buy medical equipment, pay doctors (nurses, and all their staff -- all of whom want to be paid decent wages)
-- drug research development costs
-- insurance -- and drug -- companies that DO, in the real world, have to answer to share holders
-- FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD
-- And I'm sure there are a myriad of other factors, that not being in the medical profession, I'd never even think of

I don't think it's right to tell doctors and CEOs they CAN"T make as much as they do. That's not really fair. But then neither is life. But would limiting those things really even help and be the solution to the issue of rising costs?

I wasn't for -- and AM mot for the ACA. I'd have preferred Medicaid be expanded, and taxes be raised. I just thought that was the 'simpler' way. Now you've got government subsidies based on what people THINK they'll earn in a given year, possible penalties for -- god forbid not knowing IN ADVANCE what you'd make -- people's tax refunds being affected.....and the IRS involved in the entire mess.

All I know is 1) I'm glad I do have medical insurance (my company self-insures our plan) ...2) I used to see my mom's Medicare bills and she'd pay next to NOTHING.....when the bill was really THOUSANDS.

And as for the ORIGINAL TOPIC -- I can see why people do NOT retire until they qualify for Medicare. My financial planner tells me I COULD retire at 62.....but LIKE THE OP -- I'll have to do the numbers to see whether I also should keep working just to keep my health insurance.

I know the OP was not about the ACA or health policy and politics, but there've been comments about it. And like most conversations that usually ebb and flow and add context. I'm so glad we can discuss these matters without getting too personally heated in our comments. I think we're having a great cogent, adult, mature conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or