U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times

Advertisements

I've repeated this ad nauseam but here I go again: both my mom and my grandmom used to tell me about when the telephone came into wide use in the 1930s. Grandmom blamed it for the demise of civilization as she knew it. She grudgingly admitted that at best it was a necessary nuisance. Mom took to it like a duck to water.

Computers and smartphones aren't any different. Some think they're the antichrist, some think they're the second coming, most of us fall somewhere in between.
Personally, I'm the outlier that loves loves all new technology, I take after my mom in that respect, duck to water. I turned 66 my last birthday and often school my 30-something sons on how to use their smartphones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:00 AM

6,650 posts, read 2,443,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
My first experience with an automatic flusher was on a cruise ship. We were in the front of the ship, watching a show in the theater. Nature called and I went to the men's room. The seas were rough that night. As I stood there doing what I had to do, rocking back and forth with the waves, the urinal kept flushing over and over.
I HATE those automatic flushing toilets, too - they never work properly! A few times it splashed water onto my clothes and that was not a good feeling. All you have to do to cause it to flush is rise a little from the throne and it will flush. Bring back the old fashioned lever to flush toilets! Technology in the bathroom is overrated. The toilet hasn't changed much in about a hundred years, since they got rid of the chain flushing mechanism. Toilet still looks unchanged from that time. I guess if you want a different kind of experience you can go with a bidet...

Old 03-16-2015, 08:50 AM

31,072 posts, read 13,598,798 times
My husband just retired as a network administrator, my second career, from which I retired about 4 years ago, involved setting up computers with custom software and training users on both the use of the computer and the software. We have a home network, we both have desktop and laptop PC's and my husband has a tablet and we both have smartphones. We love technology and offer to help anyone who feels challenged by technology, but with that said, my neighbor who is younger than us refuses to even consider using a computer and does not own a cell phone. Oddly he seems proud of himself for being so stubborn and blathers on about how he has gotten along for all these years without that stuff why should he need it now.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:03 AM

31,072 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm glad I can do what I can do on the computer. But, I have come to the point where I don't want to have to learn anything significantly different when it comes to technology. I find it frustrating and exhausting. I just want to do what i want to do, without having to get another degree, so to speak, to do what i want to do.

For instance, I have an old Compaq with Windows XP. I have been computer shopping. Unfortunately, I have never used a Mac, and they're too expensive for me anyway, but I'm afraid of the learning curve. The reason I'd consider a Mac is because from what I understand, Apple doesn't reinvent the wheel every time they come up with a new OS. Windows, though, OMG.

I got a computer with Windows 8 on it - and it was a foreign world. Took me hours of watching YouTube videos on my Compaq, to realize that not only was the Windows 8 OS really not user friendly, but there was something wrong with the computer that made it worse. Yikes.

Then, I bought another laptop that had Windows 7 Professional on it, which is about impossible to find, and I thought, hey I can do this - but it turned out to be junk (Dell Inspiron) that kept giving me a white screen with an error message about the HP Graphics driver failing - but repairing itself! So much for the Win 7 Pro option - I have read the ones that come with Win 8.1 with the professional downgrade don't work right either.

Ugh. $800 computers should work. And I don't want to have to figure out Windows 8.1, which doesn't appear to be much better or easier to learn than Windows 8. And Macs would be a huge learning curve, too. So, I'm waiting for Windows 10 to come out and figure out if I can figure out Win 10.

I wish laptops were standardized. Wish I could just add more memory in my old Compaq laptop and keep Windows XP. But, already, I've had to learn "fixes" when using Firefox because nearly everything uses too much RAM for my laptop now. Firefox has this component now called pugin-container, which eats a huge amount of RAM, so I had to learn how to get a Firefox plug-in that lets me turn off Adobe Flash, so I can then disable the plugin-container.

Anyway, yes, I can figure out this stuff, but I hate it.

I also can't get into all the social media. How do people have time for real life if they're on Instagram (never seen it), facebook (on it rarely), twitter (only go on it for the occasional sweepstakes entry), on and on.

Also, I don't like reading a computer screen. It's not even so much that I like turning a page, which I do, but looking at a backlit screen tires my eyes.

So, yes, I'm grateful I have some clue when it comes to technology. But, I have also started hiring people to do stuff I just don't want to have to figure out anymore. For instance, a friend started a YouTube channel, and paid for a logo. I was able to figure out how to use the logo to put a picture icon, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make the channel art. We're hiring someone to do that for her, that I found on Etsy.

I do plan on getting myself a smart phone for X-mas. I want to be able to call my friend in Canada using Skype (which we use and love) from anywhere with an i-pad or similar device. And I do like the idea of having a GPS with me and want some of the other apps. Right now I have a dumb phone.

I also love being able to pay bills online, though, and hate having to write two checks a month - my landlord and a government agency that will charge me too much if I pay with a credit or debit card.

Anyway, I definitely see your point about your relative needing a better option than a long bus ride. But, I do understand his deer in the headlights look. Maybe he doesn't learn new things easily, and also doesn't want to look stupid in front of others willing to teach him.

I agree you should let him be, or offer to pay his bills for him online? Or drive him there?
You can downgrade most computers to an OS that is comfortable for you, Windows 7 is just about as user friendly as XP and in some ways it is easier to use. If you have a computer with Windows 8, consider having Windows 7 installed on it instead. As far as reading on a computer screen; they generally aren't made for reading a lot of text but Ipad's and Kindle's are absolutely wonderful for reading. I have a Kindle and love it!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:44 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Having started out with a VIC20 and progressing through PCJR on up to what is available now, and getting older, I am getting very tired of trying to keep up with the changes in tech. The worst thing is that with my job, we are becoming more and more dependent on technology and it all too often fails us.

I work field service where, as late as the 80's we used to have pagers, and we would call dispatch to get our jobs, and then call them to debrief the calls. We have "progressed" through Blackberries and are now using iPhones, using software to get the calls and debrief them. Problem is, the software is always changing and has been buggy over time, getting a little better, but still always having problems, both on the handhelds and the servers at the home office. It doesn't help that BBs and iPhones were/are always changing, and new employees have newer models presenting different problems depending on which model you carry.

I wish I had access to the data that would probably show that we spent way more on the hardware, software and people to keep the hardware/software working, than they ever would have to employ enough dispatchers, and just reimburse the field service engineers for using their own simple cell phones with texting capabilities.

I enjoy high tech, but I am beginning to hate being dependent on it. It is to the point that when I retire I may do away with cell phones altogether. Probably not, but I know I will limit how much it impacts my life.
Technology has progressed, however, I submit that quality has gone into the can.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:03 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The implication is that this somehow makes him your inferior. I disagree. Why should he do it the ''modern way'' which is nothing more than your way. I'm sure that you think your sneering and condescending acccount of this gentleman will elicit laughing agreement from everyone.

I'm 71; I do pay bills online and order many things online because I find it convenient and often the only source of certain goods. I use the internet to find information of all sorts quickly. That doesn't make me superior, however.

I have a desktop and a Kindle Paperwhite. I do not own a pad, tablet, or similar. My cell phone is basic. I've received text messages, but I've never had a reason to send one.

I use a wood-fired cook stove because I prefer it to ''modern'' gas or electric ranges.

You must really consider me to be your inferior.

I'd have lunch with him, but I sure wouldn't with you.
I agree. I know some who just see it as a waste of time better used some where else.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:19 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I think some people have a lifelong curiosity and are not afraid to learn new things - that love of learning never ages out. I remember going to a free computer class (after you purchase a new one, you get to attend a training session of some kind) a few years ago, and there were only about four of us that day and one of them was an 88 year old lady and at first I thought that I would probably have to help her and she'll be asking me questions, etc. since we were sitting next to each other. Well, she could have taught me a thing or two - I was very surprised! She knew all these technical terms and she knew how to Skype. I was just blown away by how computer savvy she was. The questions she had were so detailed and technical, I think even the trainer was shocked. She was 88 years old!
My mom, at 87, was more computer 'savvy' than I am. But she got a head start via my dad. Back in the early 80s my dad took some kind of computer course and part of the program was building a Commodore 64 computer. My mom learned along with Dad. Even so technology has changed so much that she had to learn new things along the way too. She Skyped regularly with family in Australia. If it weren't for my brother...my computer guru!...I'd have more problems that I do.

I have a 'smart phone'. It's in a drawer. I hate the thing! It does things I don't want it to, won't do things I DO want it to, freezes up regularly and have to remove/replace the battery often and I don't really NEED all the apps on it. Since I use it with Straight Talk I just don't buy time anymore but can if I decide to take a road trip, etc.. I'll be going back to a plain ol' 'dumb' flip phone though. All I need a cell phone for is to make/take calls...period. Don't text, don't need to check Facebook all day long, etc.. I totally understand people who are a 180 from me though and to each their own.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:38 PM

17,402 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've repeated this ad nauseam but here I go again: both my mom and my grandmom used to tell me about when the telephone came into wide use in the 1930s. Grandmom blamed it for the demise of civilization as she knew it. She grudgingly admitted that at best it was a necessary nuisance. Mom took to it like a duck to water.

Computers and smartphones aren't any different. Some think they're the antichrist, some think they're the second coming, most of us fall somewhere in between.
Personally, I'm the outlier that loves loves all new technology, I take after my mom in that respect, duck to water. I turned 66 my last birthday and often school my 30-something sons on how to use their smartphones.
The government doesn't approve any new technology, for use by the masses, unless they can benefit from it, in some form or another.

Just a few years after the telephone was invented, the curiosity seekers were at it already: I'd sure like to know what my political opponents are saying about me! No way to eavesdrop?

Well, those dreams came true in the 1920's, the technology arrived: wire tapping, bugging of rooms, hidden microphones, and the invasion of our privacy has only accelerated from then, no stopping it!

The invention of the telephone became the FBI's best friend back then, and the Internet has become their best friend ever!

Every time you go somewhere with your cellphone, you've got a spy in your pocket! Even using the Internet, you've got a spy staring at you!

Stop using your cellphone, or the Internet, by the masses, and you're going to give law enforcement agencies heart attacks, and if you do it individually, you become a suspect!

I have a co-worker nurse who, in her late 50's, to this day, she refuses to own a phone! No point in calling her to work an extra shift! Nobody there! The day may come, she'll arrested for not owning a phone

Old 03-17-2015, 07:49 PM

21,321 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't even thinking in coming years the computer itself is the tech miracle for seniors. it will be robotics more and more.
they will just drill a hole in the top of your head and put a module in there and wire it to your optic nerve, simple simon...oh, and they won't let you turn it off so you don't have to worry about remembering it's there

Old 03-17-2015, 08:54 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
This brings up something my wife and I just decided. We have streaming with Netflix and amazon prime. We had trouble with Roku box on one set. I said whatever she wanted as I noticed lately I never find anything on streaming I want to watch as the novelty has just worn off. She said same here ;so we are going to drop both. Kind of same as my wife had laptop and decided she wanted a desktop and didn't want laptop anymore. Same with her cellphone; a IPhone 4 ;she for first time said she didn't want the newest because it did everything she was interested in. I've never wanted a smart phone and use my cell really for just calls when needed. I do like it connection by voice on new truck tho and enjoy Nano doing same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement