U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:57 AM

258 posts, read 130,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I download books to my Kindle with a USB from my laptop and it's really fast. Someday I'll hook up to the library's download section so I can get more books for free. Since I'm going to be moving, I'm not bothering with this library's system. If you want free ebooks books through your library just try Overdrive. Your public library can get you set up, in most cases.
You already know this, but another way to use a Kindle is to simply download a free file navigator app and also an ebook reader app (for non-Kindle formats, does Overdrive deal with the general case of books from Gutenberg,etc?). That opens the way for the immense number of public domain books that are out there in formats like epub.

The copyright lawyers have made it a stricter world, but really, 19th century writing is of higher quality anyway.

As an aside, technology really needs to be chosen with care. Availability of ebooks is a great thing (as is buying cases of paper towels from Amazon), but most of the internet is dreck. The sight of people hunched over their cell phones, acting all the world like addicted animals pressing a button for more drugs or food, is a depressing one to me. It's highly analogous to video poker in the way that it keys into potentially bad habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If you don't buy it on this one you'll buy it on your next one when the price will have gone up.
So under what circumstances do you use the 3G feature? Just when you're away from your home wifi?

Old 06-12-2015, 07:14 AM

258 posts, read 130,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So under what circumstances do you use the 3G feature? Just when you're away from your home wifi?
I can't see the point in 3G, it's too expensive typically. Most people would be better served by a pay-as-you-go hotspot, which has the added nicety of being useful on any computer or tablet you own.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:09 AM

9,581 posts, read 10,926,696 times
Quote:
Yes. For example, when I had hip surgery it was a lifesaver in the hospital. Whenever I'm in a restaurant or on a ramble even on my own place. For heaven's sake, stop acting as if you're poor. You probably have more money than the rest of us put together. Grrr.

It should appeal to your thrifty sensibilities. It's a one-time charge for the rest of your life.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

My DSL was once down for about 24 hours; it was my only internet access during that time.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:48 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,764,764 times
I'd never use Kindle. I read my books over and over.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:51 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,953,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'd never use Kindle. I read my books over and over.
You can read your books over and over on a Kindle. They stay there until you delete them and then they are still in your Kindle library on your Amazon account.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,953,398 times
Anyway, I only used 3g on all of my previous Kindles but for 1 or 2 times, which is why I went for wi-fi. I went with "special offers" version on my paperwhite. When it goes to screensaver it shows new books and offers and costs even less than the wi-fi version.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:23 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
Quote:
I haven't read this whole thread but I'll cut to the chase. I've never used an e-book reading device and now I want to try it. I wouldn't say I'm fearful, just skeptical that I'll take to it.

've considered a pricey apple ipad, but I really prefer my laptop (MacBook) for internet research and of course I have to have my apps on the larger-screen laptop for designing books etc. Nor do I want a device that stores photos, i have a separate G3 for photos and graphics.

So...just for a reader, I want at least 6" x 9", nonglare screen, and a technology close to reading a real book. Of the dozens of options, I zeroed in on the Kindle PaperWhite. There's other Kindles, so I don't know how to choose.

Anyone have a really strong recommendation after having tried many? Under $200?
I'd like something like that which could be used to read stories posted online, including my own. You'd have something which formatted them for the device, and I would like to be able to load the file physically to the device, not from a 'cloud' so I could read unposted things to review without sitting infront of a laptop. I have a setup to dl to my computer and use their screen, but since I'm unlikely to read a whole novel I could buy as a book its not money well spent.

I do like the way the paperwhite is set up, and if I was going to get one, I'd pick that, but I don't think I'd use it since it runs on wi fi.

Maybe if I get my tablet fixed, but then I'd still have to read from a stick so far as I can tell, and I'm sure it would run out of juice pretty fast.

Why can't someone put out a reader like the ereaders but one you can load with any text file including those not on the net?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:12 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'd like something like that which could be used to read stories posted online, including my own. You'd have something which formatted them for the device, and I would like to be able to load the file physically to the device, not from a 'cloud' so I could read unposted things to review without sitting infront of a laptop. I have a setup to dl to my computer and use their screen, but since I'm unlikely to read a whole novel I could buy as a book its not money well spent.

I do like the way the paperwhite is set up, and if I was going to get one, I'd pick that, but I don't think I'd use it since it runs on wi fi.

Maybe if I get my tablet fixed, but then I'd still have to read from a stick so far as I can tell, and I'm sure it would run out of juice pretty fast.

Why can't someone put out a reader like the ereaders but one you can load with any text file including those not on the net?
You can use calibre on your computer to load documents and convert them and move them to your device.
Calibre is a software program made just for ebooks.

I have a Nook so I convert to ePub. I've only converted Kindle books and PDF files though and they converted fine.

I download all my books to my computer and keep them in calibre and use calibre to move them to my Nook.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
You can send text documents you created to Kindles. I've done so for years:
Kindle Personal Documents Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement