U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 01:17 PM

6,334 posts, read 5,075,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes. For example, when I had hip surgery it was a lifesaver in the hospital. Whenever I'm in a restaurant or on a ramble even on my own place. For heaven's sake, stop acting as if you're poor. You probably have more money than the rest of us put together. Grrr.

It should appeal to your thrifty sensibilities. It's a one-time charge for the rest of your life.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

My DSL was once down for about 24 hours; it was my only internet access during that time.
I agree with the previous poster - get a mobile hotspot. Then you can access the internet on any device. I take it with me when I visit family that does not have internet at home. Work on genealogy projects together.

We have power outages sometimes so I purchased a power stick, I guess you could call it. You charge it and with that you can charge your phone, ipad, mobile hot spot etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:13 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,772,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
You can read your books over and over on a Kindle. They stay there until you delete them and then they are still in your Kindle library on your Amazon account.
It's not the same thing. I guess it's just a thing, wanting my books all close to hand. I have my recipes all on a computer too, and I am currently in the process of transferring them from computer to recipe cards to put them in a good old fashioned recipe box that takes up room in the kitchen.

Besides, I closed my Amazon account, more or less. I am probably the only person in the world who has had so many problems with them delivering orders correctly. When they got 3 out of 3 wrong, it was time to not give them another chance. I've also had experience with their "computers". Woowee! No, thank you.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:22 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,163,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon X Seaworthy View Post
You already know this, but another way to use a Kindle is to simply download a free file navigator app and also an ebook reader app (for non-Kindle formats, does Overdrive deal with the general case of books from Gutenberg,etc?). That opens the way for the immense number of public domain books that are out there in formats like epub.

The copyright lawyers have made it a stricter world, but really, 19th century writing is of higher quality anyway.

As an aside, technology really needs to be chosen with care. Availability of ebooks is a great thing (as is buying cases of paper towels from Amazon), but most of the internet is dreck. The sight of people hunched over their cell phones, acting all the world like addicted animals pressing a button for more drugs or food, is a depressing one to me. It's highly analogous to video poker in the way that it keys into potentially bad habits.
The Feelies.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:25 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,163,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I don't think fear of technology, if it actually is fear, has anything to do with age. I think it has more to do with attitude and need. My dad was in his 70s and went onto the computer like he'd been doing it all his life. My mom's the same age and won't touch one. I love computers, but I have no need of smart phones. I have a pay as you go phone and usually forget to bring it with me. I'd still have a landline if I could afford it but I also have Skype for serious calls.

I find technology is more about what you're interested in, too. I have an interest in computer viruses and how to be secure on the internet, but I am far more interested in finding those little quirks in computers that let you do different things (like jumping to a URL from the question mark in the calculator). It's just like I'm interested in learning more about raccoons than about football. To me, raccoons are interesting, football is boring.

And some technology that I think would normally be neat, is something I don't want because of how it's used. I want a car with a key lock on all the doors, not just the front ones, with windows that can be rolled up or down by hand, and no flipping computer inside it. I don't mind all the bells and whistles, but I also don't need them and because I don't need them, I don't want to pay extra for them. And having learned and become proficient in reading a map (and also fascinated by maps), I see no reason for GPS. Basically anywhere. Plus I don't like the idea of who can and does track me in my car. I'm an off the radar sort of person.

I don't know where I stand when it comes to being an old person with evolving technology. I guess if it becomes something that fascinates me, I'll learn everything about it. If it's something I really don't care about, I'll end up being an old fogie that's living back in the 80s and won't learn a thing about it.
Plus, the GPS in one's car can be used to track that person and all the 'puters in the car when connected to the black box they never told you about will tattle that you were 5 over on the freeway. Then that's beamed to your insurance company and ... you lose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement