U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:11 PM

7,309 posts, read 4,151,370 times

Advertisements

How much of it is fear of technology versus frustration with technology? I know I'm becoming more "technophobic" as I age, but it's not fear that driving it, it's frustration at constantly having to keep updating tech that from my POV is already working perfectly well. (The latest frustration is with Apple deciding to discontinue Aperture in favor of a new Photos program. Aperture does everything I need to do - I don't WANT to have to either update to Photos or install and learn Adobe Lightroom, but it won't be long until my hand is forced.)

I just get tired of having to constantly relearn how to do the same damned things I'm already doing, all because of "improvements" to programs and websites that were just fine as they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 03:18 PM

77 posts, read 57,269 times
The problem is that a lot of technology doesn't add anything to your life, instead it only takes away. Smartphones are being wasted on things like social media updates, OS's are being designed to resemble app-based devices (which is an awful, awful trend), and so on. Social media itself is a black hole for otherwise productive time (something that forums are kinda guilty of as well).

I don't own a smartphone. I don't see much point in a smartphone. I know that I'm in an extreme minority for my under-35 age group because I don't have a smartphone, I don't text, etc. I don't skype for personal use either although I don't have much use for that anyway.

At the same time, I'll usually compare products and prices online before buying anything. Most of my non-essential purchases occur online and, when ordering pizza, I will use the internet instead of making a phone call.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:05 PM

7,110 posts, read 8,149,204 times
You know, I enjoy my tech gadgets as much as the next person. At 67, I have a tablet, which I enjoy. I also have a 'TracFone' that I buy minute cards for; I text back and forth with my grandchildren. I have zero use for a smartphone. I store nothing in 'the cloud'. I belong to no social media sites. I do have some CDs, which I prefer to iTunes. I have DVDs as well...along with the old VHS!

But I try to keep this stuff to a minimum. Last year, we moved to Maine, and the scenery is beautiful here. The call of the loons, the scent of pine needles underfoot in the woods, the view of Mount Katahdin. It struck me, that it was wonderful to be able to see, hear, smell, and experience 'real' life right in front of me, instead of watching 'virtual' life on a screen.

I strictly limit my time in front of a screen. I have too many "real" things to do. You can have your technology. I'll take what I like of it, and will leave the rest. If my Maker had intended me to be glued to a smartphone, He would have seen that I was born with one in my hand!

Old 03-09-2015, 05:32 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,833,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What fun! Do you make your friends put quarters in ?
Yep they have to put money in it. Except that since it was made in 1952 it uses nickels and dimes! Hubby had another one on free play once and almost burned out some of the parts since they were "charged" all the time. So now it's money only. The coin bag is behind a locked door and every now and then we open it up and recycle the money. It's fun. It makes the audio stuff of today sound like a sick dog. Should we turn the volume full up it would blast out the windows and you would hear it 2 blocks away. After all, it was made to be used in bars. And the base makes your heart pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I can relate to the phone. I have a cell since they first came out with bag phones. then the smaller. I use to often not take calls and only used it when I wanted to make a call. I have never text and I still use a land line at home to use for general business; never give out my cell but to friends and family. I really rarely make a call on it even. I just use it for semi-emergencies; I'll call them. We have three desktops ;two such as this one for pleasure and then one not connected for personal business. Have a laptop we just do not use with smart phones really.
We had a bag phone, too! We bought a set of porch furniture and it was given to us as an incentive. Unfortunately you had to pay the monthly bills. I used to travel on business and if I wasn't flying I would take it with me and use it to call hubby every night. Unlike you though, we do use our phones exclusively as we gave up a home phone as we didn't feel we needed it with the 2 cells. I have my cell on my daughter's plan so it doesn't cost me as much as if I was by myself. She gets a discount through her work. Although I say that I play games on it, I really only do that when I am waiting somewhere such as the doc's office or in the car waiting for hubby. It's not something I do constantly. Once the weather gets better again I will be sitting outside with a cup of tea and a good book.

I pretty much had to get into, and keep up with, technology. Daughter is a software and systems engineer and to keep in touch she relies on technology. Right now we only get to see her twice a year, so having first the smart phone, and now the new computer using Google Hangout is the best way to talk to her and see her at the same time. I do get frustrated with some things.....as the aforementioned Lenovo computer that I'm having difficulties downloading the few Big Fish Games that I have, I keep up as I feel learning lots of new things keeps my brain functioning. But that doesn't mean that I don't do other things as well. The tech stuff uses my analytical side of my brain, and my crafting uses the artistic side. I do scrapbooking and adamantly refuse to use any type of technology for that. I know people who use their computers to do it, but I refuse.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:57 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
but it's not fear that driving it, it's frustration at constantly having to keep updating tech that from my POV is already working perfectly well.
You hit the nail on the head.

WinXP worked wonderfully. (Hell, so did Win 3.1!)
The only reason I upgraded to Win8 was so I could use a program that I updated and then it wouldn't work.

That brings up another tech thing that irritates me - why can't they 'back-engineer' programs so they run on older systems??

Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
I am a lot younger than most of the people who post on this subforum. Furthermore, I am a third generation techie.

I am in no way a technophobe. In fact, I am frustrated by how poor some of the latest tech actually is (take phones for instance, how archaic having to smear grubby germ infested fingers on a teeny tiny screen ... what a horrible user interface!). I can't wait for cost effective, highly functional heads up UIs for what we now call mobile phones. Now that will be a revolution.

I digress ...

In spite of the above, I (and my partner, who's even younger than me) are very wary of doing EVERYTHING on line. The Russians, the Chinese and who knows who else, have cyber attacked their way into major corporations and their data bases. The current systems are not really ready for doing EVERYTHING on line, and the human element seriously lacks street smarts and training in how to operate safely in a cyber based world.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
You hit the nail on the head.

WinXP worked wonderfully. (Hell, so did Win 3.1!)
The only reason I upgraded to Win8 was so I could use a program that I updated and then it wouldn't work.

That brings up another tech thing that irritates me - why can't they 'back-engineer' programs so they run on older systems??
They can - but choose to EOL older systems - to save on support costs.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
The problem is that a lot of technology doesn't add anything to your life, instead it only takes away. Smartphones are being wasted on things like social media updates, OS's are being designed to resemble app-based devices (which is an awful, awful trend), and so on. Social media itself is a black hole for otherwise productive time (something that forums are kinda guilty of as well).

I don't own a smartphone. I don't see much point in a smartphone. I know that I'm in an extreme minority for my under-35 age group because I don't have a smartphone, I don't text, etc. I don't skype for personal use either although I don't have much use for that anyway.

At the same time, I'll usually compare products and prices online before buying anything. Most of my non-essential purchases occur online and, when ordering pizza, I will use the internet instead of making a phone call.
Excellent observations.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
How much of it is fear of technology versus frustration with technology? I know I'm becoming more "technophobic" as I age, but it's not fear that driving it, it's frustration at constantly having to keep updating tech that from my POV is already working perfectly well. (The latest frustration is with Apple deciding to discontinue Aperture in favor of a new Photos program. Aperture does everything I need to do - I don't WANT to have to either update to Photos or install and learn Adobe Lightroom, but it won't be long until my hand is forced.)

I just get tired of having to constantly relearn how to do the same damned things I'm already doing, all because of "improvements" to programs and websites that were just fine as they were.
The tech industry now features the same planned obsolescence mentality that the US auto industry had 50 years ago. Ponder that for a moment.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,076,873 times
I have a similar situation to the original poster. My father-in-law brought my mother-in-law, his wife, a smartphone for Christmas. It was her first-ever smartphone, she had only used flip-phones previously, and once when she had a "messaging" phone she even had trouble figuring that out. I'm thinking "you got her a smartphone and think she's going to figure that out?"

I am sort of the "techno expert" in our extended family (I can build computers, with respect to phones I know how to do things like install custom launchers or "side-load" via apk files), so guess what that meant--yes, she'd be asking me every other minute how to do this and that.

Heck, she had a hard time doing ANYTHING on that phone, even populating the keyboard once an app opened. She couldn't figure out how to get to the home screen. She has yet to use the GPS for anything, and she is one who can easily get lost without one. She still calls her bank to listen to the log of transactions, even though she has the app for it on her phone and I figure the whole point of having a smartphone is for such things.

I made a very long DVD showing how to do certain things on your phone, using my phone as the working model for it. That DVD was, no kidding, 3 hours long. I spent nearly 30 minutes simply instructing on how to add a new contact or edit an existing one, painfully showing even such details as how to drag the cursor to move it around and how to press "back" on the keyboard to hide it so you could see what you'd typed (and stressing "don't press it twice by accident, else you may erase your entry"). I showed how to search for points of interest. THREE HOURS of such things I recorded, converted the files to DVD format and made the disc, and said "here, watch this to learn how," figuring it would be perfect because she wouldn't have to be dependent on my availability, she'd actually see it being done, and she could pause and rewind as needed.

She has yet to watch the DVD, a full month later.

Others have goofed around configuring her phone and making it to where the interface was different one day to the next, with her not knowing where everything was disappearing to, and with any configuring I had done being tossed out and having to be redone. I finally installed a custom launcher, Nova, and locked the desktop and told her "if you need it unlocked, I will do it for you, it is your phone, but this way no one can change it and mess up what's here." She's glad for me to have done so. As for what I put on there--I made shortcuts for 4-5 of her favorite phone numbers, placed them within a "Fav Contacts" folder. I installed the Bible, Opera Mini-Boat Mini as browsers, and placed a widget that makes it quicker/easier to turn GPS off/on (leave it off for saving battery, turn it on for getting directions, then turn it off once done).

Me personally--I'm a weird mix of old and young. I'm a huge smartphone user, however I think of them more as PDA devices than entertainment devices, and use things like the calendar and notes/to-do lists much more than video watching or game playing. I prefer separate MP3 players and especially separate cameras. I use serious grade cameras like DSLRs etc as a smartphone's image quality is completely unacceptable to me. I prefer email to Facebook messages, and frankly I don't understand why people would prefer Facebook messages to email to start with. With email, you aren't operating within a "walled garden ecosystem" as you are Facebook, you can have your email service with anybody and it's okay, others don't have to have the same "brand" as you (Facebook in this case) to reach you. The way Facebook does things this way reminds me too much of the AOL days when people who didn't know better would read "AOL Exclusive" contact vs accessing the World Wide Web where it didn't matter if you had AOL, Compuserve, Earthlink etc--it was "universal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement