Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,107 times

Advertisements

I'm a year from 59 1/2 and I'm thinking of starting to take aadvantage of my 401k. My wife will continue to work for 6yrs until her 401k kicks in. Two questions

1) How much can I go out and earn in a part time job without penalty

2) I'm with Fidelity. How do I withdraw from my mutual funds and how much in taxes do I pay in Wash State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird28 View Post
I'm a year from 59 1/2 and I'm thinking of starting to take aadvantage of my 401k. My wife will continue to work for 6yrs until her 401k kicks in. Two questions

2) I'm with Fidelity. How do I withdraw from my mutual funds and how much in taxes do I pay in Wash State?
1) No 'wage income' penalty on 401k (only on SS at 62 plus). It will be taxed by IRS at your normal rate (depending on total income)

2) No taxes to WA state on personal income.

3) Fidelity, you can do a roll to self directed IRA with Fidelity or any other custodian you would like to choose. Just request transfer from 401k.com (Fidelity), and follow the rules!!! (Don't touch the money, don't let it sit around. You want to do a direct transfer to next custodian, or it could linger and be deemed a 'distribution' !!!

Follow ALL the rules... I had a retiree friend get a HUGE surprise because he cashed out his 401k and it had a loan on it. (loan was considered a distribution in a high tax yr (severance).)

If you get some low tax yrs, you should look at transferring some 401k monies to ROTH IRA(if you feel your tax rates may climb in your old age.) There is a lot of flexibility in a ROTH IRA for young retirees.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:50 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) No 'wage income' penalty on 401k (only on SS at 62 plus). It will be taxed by IRS at your normal rate (depending on total income)

2) No taxes to WA state on personal income.

3) Fidelity, you can do a roll to self directed IRA with Fidelity or any other custodian you would like to choose. Just request transfer from 401k.com (Fidelity), and follow the rules!!! (Don't touch the money, don't let it sit around. You want to do a direct transfer to next custodian, or it could linger and be deemed a 'distribution' !!!

Follow ALL the rules... I had a retiree friend get a HUGE surprise because he cashed out his 401k and it had a loan on it. (loan was considered a distribution in a high tax yr (severance).)

If you get some low tax yrs, you should look at transferring some 401k monies to ROTH IRA(if you feel your tax rates may climb in your old age.) There is a lot of flexibility in a ROTH IRA for young retirees.
Only up to any earned income he reports. He can contribute up to that amount.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:28 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird28 View Post

401k withdrawals (assuming the account is tax-deferred and not a Roth) after age 59-1/2 are never subject to penalty either from withdrawal or earnings.

You can earn as much as you want at your part-time job.

But, assuming this is a tax-deferred 401k, any withdrawals are subject to ordinary income tax. There is no capital gains treatment on these tax-deferred withdrawals.

But, because you live in the State of Washington, there isn't any Washington income tax.

Because.....

The State of Washington has no personal income tax.

From the WA State Department of Revenue:
Quote:
No income tax in Washington State

Washington State does not have a personal or corporate income tax.

Income tax
Therefore, your only concern is the federal income tax. You may need to file estimated federal tax payments on Form ES if your withdrawals together with your wife's income produce a federal tax liability in excess of your wife's withholding.

As far as "how do I withdraw?" You should already have online access to this account for trades. After you leave the company, you should be allowed to set up access for withdrawals. Check with your employer and/or your 401k Administrator. No one here can tell you how to mechanically accomplish these withdrawals.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-13-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Only up to any earned income he reports. He can contribute up to that amount.
True, but there is no such rule when converting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement