U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:45 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,441,374 times

Advertisements

I've never eaten so well as now since I am totally retired. I have time to seriously garden 500 -700 sq feet a year. I can/preserve much of it. I LOVE to cook and have the time now. But sadly, old age has demanded I reduce my food intake by half ! Seriously, I eat half to 70% LESS than I ever did because I pack on the pounds otherwise.

I rarely go out to eat since it is near impossible for me as a strict vegetarian. And besides, I cook better than anything I've been served in local restaurants and I refuse to pay $50 for a really good meal - that's a week's groceries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Food after retirement is pretty much the same as food before retirement but now we grow some of our own. We both enjoy cooking and the best of it is when we do it together. Sadly, my wife isn't always up to it but when she is she bakes from scratch and makes marvelous soups out of just about anything. I do the Asian cooking (Chinese, Japanese and Korean having lived in all those countries), we both do comfort foods and I'm quite a grill master.

Each year we plant a vegetable garden and herbs. This year, in addition to tomatoes, various peppers, haricot vert, peas and whatever else we take a fancy to we'll plant year-old asparagus starts so we can begin to harvest next year. I'm also considering artichokes just for fun.

When looking to buy our retirement house most of the offerings had Pullman type or other relatively small kitchens which are not conducive to shared cooking but the house we ultimately purchased has, for this area, a large, square kitchen and besides location, location, location, that was a major selling feature for us.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 AM

29,774 posts, read 34,856,103 times
No matter how we get it or who makes it food is better now days because we have more time to experience it in.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 AM

4,479 posts, read 4,739,984 times
Threads on the same or similar topic:

Over 55: Exercise - eating habits

Has your diet changed since retiring?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 AM

703 posts, read 795,818 times
Our pattern has not changed. Pre-retirement we rarely ate out, and we still don't. It is not good for our budget or our waist line. Also, we typically enjoy our own cooking more.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:49 AM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
We go to a restaurant once or twice a month.

Being active in a couple different groups, I go to potlucks 6 to 8 times a month.

Otherwise we eat at home.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM

7,110 posts, read 8,149,204 times
I find that I'm the one who does a lot more of the cooking since retirement...why not? Wife is retired too! But since moving to Maine I've got a whole deckful (enclosed in winter) of grills, propane camp stoves, a wood-fired brick oven, and a nice big griddle - who says washing out the grease in a frying pan is fun? So I'm the outdoor cook, burger-flipper, omelet-maker, wielder of the pizza peel, and love it, esp when the family comes out to visit us. This summer should be a food-fest, once the grandkids get out of school!

Wife still rules the indoor kitchen. I keep her supplied with garden veggies (from the freezer, now) and we both love all the poultry we raise. Talk about a chicken in every pot! The freezer is full of chickens!

Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM

685 posts, read 564,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
How have your eating patterns changed since retiring? Are you staying home and cooking more fancy stuff, or staying at home and eating more simply, or eating out more?

I find to my surprise that while I've never been one for eating out, I'm cooking more simply now. More easy one-pot meals ........ more convenience foods too as I get lazier (if that's possible). I still do the organic brown rice with fresh veggies thing occasionally, but all too often I choose frozen pizza or the "hearty" type of canned soup, which are half chemicals. Commercial breakfast cereals instead of oatmeal some mornings. My favorite breakfast is still fried eggs on mayo'd toast though.
Depending on the time, our eating changes fairly dramatically.

I cooked fancy stuff when I was even just 5-6 years younger but ... vicchyssoise, eggplant parm (not for the week of heart or if you don't have stamina to stay on your feet), cioppino, porterhouse steak, and the list goes on. I don't want to pay that kind of dough anymore. I have a steak maybe once every several years, I don't make the other dishes anymore (including gazpacho) due to expense. Peanut butter and jelly with reasonable bread is there, I like Cascadian Farms mixed vegs. and that can be an easy dinner. My partner makes an organic cabbage, tomato-based soup (cheap) with organic beef (not so cheap). We met friends for lunch recently at a healthy place locally where I spent $10 + tip on a meal that last me two days. I'll eat oatmeal with cinnamon for lunch.

Organic popcorn serves as a light treat for our rats (no salt added), dog, and me . With the time change (I like eating earlier as my sleep is better) I got two medium pizzas to go (they were on special and are close to home. That will be three or four dinners for $12.

Times have changed.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,241 times
When it was snowing I cooked every day.

Roast beef, roast chicken gnocchi.

Thank God we're back to eating out.

Too many dishes to wash for two people.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:52 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,896,154 times
More nice tasty home cooked meals that we now have the time to make them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement