U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 02:23 PM

24 posts, read 17,424 times

Advertisements

We are both decent cooks, so except for moving recently, still plan a menu weekly, shop for sales. We probably eat a healthier breakfast and lunch, more fresh fruit. So hopefully keep this up, and lost about 8 pounds in the last two months, so doing something right. Still eat desserts, need to convince the spouse to cut back on some of that, but what fun is life, if you have to watch everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,124,093 times
Just got back from visiting friends for a week.... Who don't cook...so we ate out everyday..... I need a week or two to DETOX....Don't know how they do it.....

Old 03-11-2015, 03:01 AM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
I've been an adventure cook for years, and when I make some yummy dish, I write down my comments on the dish, like: Awesome! Must make again! or: Best dish I've ever made! or: I could make this dish again & again!

Funny thing happens to one taste buds along the way, they change!

I have gone back and made some of these seemingly awesome dishes, years later, and? Maddeningly so, a number of these dishes were not nearly as awesome as they tasted 10-20-30 years ago! One dish I even threw in the trash! Yuck!

And, yet, there were some that I remade that were just as tasty!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,214,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Thanks to seeing Martha Stewart say roasting/ browning in some way adds more flavor and color
to your soup or broth ...yes, I do.
But you don't need to ...Bone broth is cooked for 36-72 hours, btw...I do 48
hours to get every last nutrient out of the org bones.
Regular soup, never that long!

Speaking of dishes to wash...my favorite discovery now are heavy duty paper
plates on sale. Oh, the simplicity.
I use paper plates too, and double them up if the food is moist. But if it's a food I really like, I'll use a real plate and silverware.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,214,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I do a major grocery trip about once a month.
My treat for working so hard at shopping is going through the drive-thru on the way home
I always think about doing that, but then I realize I have some very perishable food that should be cooked right away, like hamburger or fish.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,229,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara
I do a major grocery trip about once a month.
My treat for working so hard at shopping is going through the drive-thru on the way home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I always think about doing that, but then I realize I have some very perishable food that should be cooked right away, like hamburger or fish.
In my part of the country - even in winter - I (and most of the people I know) use ice chests for the drive home because of the hot weather.

Besides, the drive-thru only takes 5 minutes -- but I don't want my ice cream to melt

Old 03-12-2015, 12:18 PM

703 posts, read 795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Just got back from visiting friends for a week.... Who don't cook...so we ate out everyday..... I need a week or two to DETOX....Don't know how they do it.....
The same thing has happened with us. It is a calorie(read scale gain) and a budget buster!

Old 03-12-2015, 12:24 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Dang - what do they eat? Is it just too much and fattening?

I would love if we had more choices in my small town because I am done with cooking!

Ha - I just made a yummy pizza at home. I guess I don't want to HAVE TO COOK!

We graze. No breakfast, just coffee, sandwich for lunch or yogurt.

Simple dinners - 1 steak for both of us, salad on the side - not a bunch of sides like some insist you have to have or else it is not a meal.

The older you get, the less you want to eat.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:56 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
In my part of the country - even in winter - I (and most of the people I know) use ice chests for the drive home because of the hot weather.

Besides, the drive-thru only takes 5 minutes -- but I don't want my ice cream to melt
We are in the same boat. We carry around an ice chest and ice packs whenever we head to Tucson or Phoenix as we are always bringing food home with us.

Having said that, I did the same in Chicago. In the winter, I might pick up a few items at lunch and had to protect them from freezing.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:34 PM

8,614 posts, read 9,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Dang - what do they eat? Is it just too much and fattening?

I would love if we had more choices in my small town because I am done with cooking!

Ha - I just made a yummy pizza at home. I guess I don't want to HAVE TO COOK!

We graze. No breakfast, just coffee, sandwich for lunch or yogurt.

Simple dinners - 1 steak for both of us, salad on the side - not a bunch of sides like some insist you have to have or else it is not a meal.

The older you get, the less you want to eat.
You eat like I do. I graze a lot sometimes but it's good stuff. Salads, fruit, etc.. I usually DO eat breakfast on my days off though. I could eat breakfast three times a day. lol I keep saying I'm going to take myself out to eat but I don't want to spend that much money on one meal. Plus tip. We have plenty of really good non chain restaurants here too. And you're right about not wanting to eat so much when you get older. I can barely eat a whole sandwich anymore. I can make a meal out of a small steak and garlic toast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement