U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,221,794 times

Advertisements

How have your eating patterns changed since retiring? Are you staying home and cooking more fancy stuff, or staying at home and eating more simply, or eating out more?

I find to my surprise that while I've never been one for eating out, I'm cooking more simply now. More easy one-pot meals ........ more convenience foods too as I get lazier (if that's possible). I still do the organic brown rice with fresh veggies thing occasionally, but all too often I choose frozen pizza or the "hearty" type of canned soup, which are half chemicals. Commercial breakfast cereals instead of oatmeal some mornings. My favorite breakfast is still fried eggs on mayo'd toast though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 05:46 PM

15,406 posts, read 12,148,879 times
Funny I like a fried egg with onions, seeded org toast, drop of ketchup, or salsa,
bit of peanut butter the most!
Never tried mayo, bet that is good. I will try it.
Make my own soup, tho, and hmm hmm, I know how to spice it...with
org beef bones, too.

Did you know to only buy org br rice because rice has the MOST horrible pesticides?
Very smart!

Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,221,794 times
No, I usually buy anything organic that isn't way more expensive than conventional. More as an ethical than a health thing at this point. And I like brown rice in one-pot meals or rice salad, usually more than the white.

Do you roast the bones before making soup from them?

Old 03-08-2015, 06:00 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Woof, I have gotten into a ritual/habit of making at least one pot of soup/stew a week.

I get the meat bones from the butcher when available and yes, I cook the bones before making soup, creating bone broth.

I make many different kinds of soup using the broth. Sometimes, I add more beef for a stew; sometimes I make a tomato base using the bone broth and then add veggies, and/or macaroni or rice.

I don't do a chicken for stock every week, but I do end up fixing that about 2 x a month. I freeze left over broth or use it to cook other dishes. I have a baked rice recipe that uses beef or chicken broth in it, for one thing. I also make chicken pot pies.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:11 PM

18,121 posts, read 22,989,204 times
To be honest, before I was able to stop working completely, the thought of having to do dishes was what deterred me from doing much cooking. I pretty much lived on spaghetti and frozen meals.

Now I actually cook. Nothing fancy, but I eat so much better now. In the fridge right now is a roast in the crockpot I cooked it in, that I got on sale for under $3/pound, yay! I made rice earlier and had some of the rice with the roast and sauce with onions from the crockpot on it for lunch. I make my own refried nonfat beans now (just cook them and then mash them myself), and I eat a lot of tortillas with boiled eggs for breakfast, tacos made out of whatever meat I have or just beans and rice and cheese. Make my own fresh salsa in a big bowl with lime juice on it, and add that to a lot of meals. Lasts several days. I also buy stuff on sale, mainly chicken, and I'll cook it in the pressure cooker and either freeze it up or make soup and can it. I even can now, too.

I enjoy trolling Safeway's clearance meat section and Grocery Outlet for good deals. I even have some frozen shrimp and once in a while I find Alfredo sauce on sale, which I have in the cupboard (Classico - yum!) and I'll add fresh cilantro and some of the shrimp to it.

I'm still fat LOL, but I'm eating healthier food - just still eat too much of it :-)

I admit, I got a huge Stouffer's lasagna on sale the other day, and I ate some of that for breakfast this morning, though, LOL!

Old 03-08-2015, 06:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
How have your eating patterns changed since retiring? Are you staying home and cooking more fancy stuff, or staying at home and eating more simply, or eating out more?

I find to my surprise that while I've never been one for eating out, I'm cooking more simply now. More easy one-pot meals ........ more convenience foods too as I get lazier (if that's possible). I still do the organic brown rice with fresh veggies thing occasionally, but all too often I choose frozen pizza or the "hearty" type of canned soup, which are half chemicals. Commercial breakfast cereals instead of oatmeal some mornings. My favorite breakfast is still fried eggs on mayo'd toast though.
We used to spend hours preparing meals but now we choose fast + quality. Tonight we had grilled cheese on wholegrain sourdough with pickles and fresh apples and wine. We buy good quality soups in glass jars to avoid the lead in the cans. No more tuna , the mercury is off the charts. Sardines on toast a nice breakfast.Pizza is our Friday night standby. It's so easy to make quick pizza with a pre-made crust. There's so many toppings and you can pile on heaps of sauteed onions mushrooms and fresh basil (we often use watercress) whereas commercial pizza has nothing on it that's very nutritious. We get the gluten-free frozen crust. If you make your own sauce (a joy! listen to the opera), you can use it for pizza, and later for pasta, and then freeze some. Fast can still be quality. And fast is now good.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 PM

19,852 posts, read 18,874,270 times
When I was working I was too exhausted to cook most nights. I would cook on weekends though. I didn't eat very well because I'd eat whatever they had in the cafeteria at work. Not being a "morning person" I was hopeless at making anything to take to work except a yogurt.

It's better now, although not as good as some of the above posts. We eat almost exclusively at home and eat out mostly for special occasions. Often, during the winter, we do go out on nights when the fancy restaurant down on the beach has its angus beef burger special with fresh lettuce and tomato.

I do a mixture of frozen and from scratch. In winter our vegetables are mostly frozen with the exception of things like carrots, cabbage, things like that. I try to get berries into our diet by making blueberry pancakes (yes, we both have a sweet tooth, but at least I make my own healthy mix and keep it on hand) and blueberry muffins, also strawberry or banana smoothies.

I make pot roast and beef stew in the slow cooker and dh is the master of shepherd's pie. I do some chicken and rices dishes and chile in the slow cooker. I make some vegetarian dishes but dh won't eat them so he eats Hungry Man. (serves him right, lol.)

Summer cooking is totally different because we crave cold food instead of hot food so more smoothies and more fruit, no slow cooker. Unfortunately neither of us are salad people. At least we do garden a little and will have fresh organic beets and tomatoes, fresh organic herbs too.

I want to get more into making bone broth because it's supposed to be preventative for osteoarthritis. Brokensky, maybe you can tell us more about what kind of bones to buy? I do use the carcass from a chicken but what other bones? It seems to be almost a lost art. I buy bones from the butcher for the dog but I wouldn't know what to buy for humans.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:59 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,072,092 times
Yes, there is food after retirement. It's a SNAP.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:11 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Not that much as far as favorites and I like to cook.Even when working we liked to cook supper as both wife and I eat out most lunches. In fact it was some years before I really enjoyed going out to lunch again.But I will say we eat less now that we are not so busy.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:28 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Hi in_newengland!

You mentioned in your post that it might be helpful to receive more info about the beef broth.

Here is a link that shows a photo of what the beef bones typically look like. They are not always available at my butcher (grocery store) and I always ask. Sometimes, they will package them up for me if they have any in the back. I have gotten them with more meat at times. Other times, there is hardly any meat on them at all.

It is very possible that the bones you buy for your dog are the same bones you would use for bone broth. You will see a photo if you scroll down on this link:

Beef Stock and Canning Tomato Sauce | Meanwhile in the Country

I use a slow cooker, not my crock pot. The slow cooker has 3 temps -- and I turn it on HIGH and let it reach high temp so I can sear the meat on the bones. I use a bit of olive oil to coat the slow cooker surface. I place the bones in, trying to arrange so that any meat will contact the bottom of the cooker. I turn them several times the first 30 minutes or so. Then I turn the temp down to medium and add no more than 1 cup of water. I let the bones cook at that temp for about 2 hours. After the meat looks "steamed" and cooked, I add another cup of water, turn the temp to LOW and leave it all day or overnight. There should be enough water to more than cover 1/2 the bones. With the lid on, it creates steam and that helps cook the bones without them drying out. Add a cup or so of water if you check on the process and it looks like the water is low.

By the time the bones have been cooking on low for 8-10 hours, the marrow will be in the broth and you will have a gravy like broth, and it should be very condensed. At that point, you can remove the bones and discard them. Then you can either add more water (to make a less condense broth) or you can add tomatoes to make a very rich tomato beef broth. You can also add water only, and continue cooking on low, to create a less condense beef broth in case you want to divide it and put some in a jar for another dish later.

I typically use 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes in with the beef broth to make a tomato based soup. If it seems to dense or condensed, I will add a cup (or less) of water. From that point, you can decide to add veggies (raw, frozen or canned). Or you might want to add cooked hamburger and macaroni. Or rice. Whatever type of soup you enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement