U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 AM

6,274 posts, read 4,740,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
....... The funny thing is, though, now that I have a lot of time, and not a lot of money, my time is not worth so much.

For instance, one of the things I do for extra money, is I click around on websites that pay me to do so. Now, I only do this when I'm online anyway, but it can take me 5 hours to make $3.00. But, at the end of the month, I have around $100 more than I would have if I had been too proud to click around for the equivalent of 60 cents per hour.

Put pride aside, and I end up with enough money from clicking around to pay my electric bill, my internet bill and my renter's insurance bill.

If clicking on the internet sites to make $0.60/hr is a fun hobby, I guess I could understand that. If you are desperate for money, I guess I could understand that. To me life has much more to offer. Living "abundantly" should be more than pinching pennies as a hobby. I can give plenty of examples:

I do a lot of photography. Aside from the initial purchase of a camera, this is an inexpensive hobby.

I take classes at the local university. Last year I took 8 semester long courses and my wife took 10. There is a minimal cost of about $300/year.

I do a lot of RV traveling, sometimes for months at a time. Costs are very low. I spend an average of $7/night from senior camping fees mostly in our national forests and parks. Propane is about $10/mo and electricity is solar. My main expense is diesel fuel but I often spend weeks in the same area.

These are only a few examples of how I live abundantly. If I could not afford my hobbies, I would not work for $0.60/hr. There are lots of jobs available at minimum wage or above. If I had to I would work a few weeks or months a year and then enjoy the remainder of my retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 AM

202 posts, read 182,475 times
This has been a great read. I would have liked something in my family tartan, too, but it is so UGLY!!! Why couldn't I have been a Stuart instead of a .......

Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I find Bountiful baskets helpful in keeping the grocery bill low and encouraging me to eat more fruits and veggies. I seemed to never have time to try new recipes when I was working and now I try to do at least one a week, sometimes more.

The local community concert series is good bang for my buck. As is the local theater group. One of the local high schools puts on excellent plays twice a year,for $5 an play.

I like scrap quilting,actually better than regular quilting. I have been on a mans shirt quilt bing lately. My favorite thrift store has a 25c rack which has yielded a lot o good material

I have been frugal mt whole life and have come to embrace the creativity it yields.
I have never heard of Bountiful Baskets, so I looked it up!

Sadly, they do not cover my state.

But here is the link for others - it sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

Bountiful Baskets

I believe in supporting local arts - and you are so right . . . some quality entertainment available through community organizations.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
This has been a great read. I would have liked something in my family tartan, too, but it is so UGLY!!! Why couldn't I have been a Stuart instead of a .......
Ha Ha Ha.

I think if my Dad had really had a coat made from the family tartan, he would not have liked it! I have a throw made up in the tartan and it has some unusual colors that I think would not look great in a jacket!!!

Old 03-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If clicking on the internet sites to make $0.60/hr is a fun hobby, I guess I could understand that. If you are desperate for money, I guess I could understand that. To me life has much more to offer. Living "abundantly" should be more than pinching pennies as a hobby. I can give plenty of examples:

I do a lot of photography. Aside from the initial purchase of a camera, this is an inexpensive hobby.

I take classes at the local university. Last year I took 8 semester long courses and my wife took 10. There is a minimal cost of about $300/year.

I do a lot of RV traveling, sometimes for months at a time. Costs are very low. I spend an average of $7/night from senior camping fees mostly in our national forests and parks. Propane is about $10/mo and electricity is solar. My main expense is diesel fuel but I often spend weeks in the same area.

These are only a few examples of how I live abundantly. If I could not afford my hobbies, I would not work for $0.60/hr. There are lots of jobs available at minimum wage or above. If I had to I would work a few weeks or months a year and then enjoy the remainder of my retirement.
It sounds like you have figured out what works for you and that is wonderful.

Photography is a worthwhile and fulfilling pursuit. And interesting.

Does your local university give any sort of price break to seniors? I am assuming they must as my local university tuition charge would get me about 2 hours for $300. Some junior colleges and universities allow seniors to audit at no charge.

Do you network with other campers to find out about what campgrounds to use? Do you take advantage of national and state parks?

Some folks find making even a little money online to be preferable to having a part time job with fixed hours. Whatever works for each person.

I have my own business so am still actually working. However, typically, my hours are very flexible so I can do my work at night or on weekends (unless I have something that requires a quick turnaround). This morning I was up at 4 am to finish up some work on a project.

Tomorrow, for example, I am taking off time and hubby and I are going to a private warehouse sell, where the items are going for pennies on the dollar. My son is getting a new apartment so I am buying sets of sheets, dishes and flatware for him. They are selling queen size sets of sheets for $7 a set, 100% cotton! And dishes for $1 a piece! We will have to drive about 20 miles to the sale but it is worth it!

I don't know that I will ever quit working as long as I am able to be flexible with my hours. But that has nothing to do with saving money and buying quality items for bargain prices. I have always been this way.

Living on a budget doesn't necessarily mean a person is destitute. :-)

Old 03-11-2015, 12:16 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
When I first joined CD forum and learned about the 'rep' + rating, I had to wonder why there was no - rating. Some web forums have the thumb up or thumb down choice. It does not happen often here, but I had wished to have the - option to choose a number of time!!! IMO, - rating availability would help to keep some degrees of civility in a 'free for all' public forum especially ones where posters do not have to reveal their true identities.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:46 PM

11,938 posts, read 20,400,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Yes - brain exercises are the "smart" way to keep our neurons connected!

That is fascinating that you may your own purse. What type of fabric did you use? I made a purse many years ago - it was a "hobo bag" type thing back in my "hippie days" . . . I loved it! I had found some upholstery fabric and used that. It was quite pretty and I enjoyed it for a long time.

Sewing can be a wonderful past time as long as I don't feel pressured or it gets tedious and I feel my neck and back tensing up!

I have made very detailed items, such as wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses, in years past. I cannot imagine doing that again. Just too much fabric all over the room, too stressful with deadlines on bridesmaid dresses! But I took a lot of pride out of the finger work and doing things such as a french seam beautifully.

I have found most folks who sew find it a way to express their creativity.

Make some more purses! You should post a photo!
It's a simple small bag, cross body, sort of a checkbook wallet on a strap. I used a rip stop nylon, but it has a very silky hand to it, and it's not holding up well. But I used a layer, some fusible batting and a another layer and used my machine to embroider a liner flower design. The next bag I will use fusible fleece and canvas-- I think it will give the bag more body and structure.

I have an ID window, and a money bill slip in pocket behind that on the flap. There's also a second larger receipt pocket.

In the body of the bag, on the front under the flap is the credit card slots. Problem -- credit cards fell out. I tried a few things -- none worked. Including puffy paint. I ended up gluing in leather strips to grip. I have now found a spray on fabric "grip" (haven't purchased it yet) to spray on the fabric that won't wash off.

There's a zipper pocket on the outside for my phone. That was fun, saw a video on youtube about sewing these. There's two zipper pockets on the inside one with a pocket on the back where my calendar sits. The bottom of the bag holds a fan and other things I might carry.

The other thing was how to put the inner parts together and put them into the outer part. I ended up making the inner ring and sewing the outer pouch flipping the inner ring into the outer pouch.... and if I want to tack it I can hand tack it. But with extra keys and other things in the zipper pockets, they hold down nicely.

I sewed on a strap of nylon webbing. Next bag will have hardware -- it will make it look less homemade. And this nylon webbing is strong, but it has a very ribbony quality -- which I don't like. So I'm looking for seatbelt webbing. If not, I'll use fabric and fusible fleece and make a strap.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-11-2015 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It's a simple small bag, cross body, sort of a checkbook wallet on a strap. I used a rip stop nylon, but it has a very silky hand to it, and it's not holding up well. But I used a layer, some fusible batting and a another layer and used my machine to embroider a liner flower design. The next bag I will use fusible fleece and canvas-- I think it will give the bag more body and structure.

I have an ID window, and a money bill slip in pocket behind that on the flap. There's also a second larger receipt pocket.

In the body of the bag, on the front under the flap is the credit card slots. Problem -- credit cards fell out. I tried a few things -- none worked. Including puffy paint. I ended up gluing in leather strips to grip. I have now found a spray on fabric "grip" (haven't purchased it yet) to spray on the fabric that won't wash off.

There's a zipper pocket on the outside for my phone. That was fun, saw a video on youtube about sewing these. There's two zipper pockets on the inside one with a pocket on the back where my calendar sits. The bottom of the bag holds a fan and other things I might carry.

The other thing was how to put the inner parts together and put them into the outer part. I ended up making the inner ring and sewing the outer pouch flipping the inner ring into the outer pouch.... and if I want to tack it I can hand tack it. But with extra keys and other things in the zipper pockets, they hold down nicely.

I sewed on a strap of nylon webbing. Next bag will have hardware -- it will make it look less homemade. And this nylon webbing is strong, but it has a very ribbony quality -- which I don't like. So I'm looking for seatbelt webbing. If not, I'll use fabric and fusible fleece and make a strap.
That sounds like a really convenient layout for a purse!

I am wondering - have you ever checked out upholstery webbing? Not the color you would want, I am assuming, but . . . there may be other colors out there . . .

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1981475...Xp4hoCAB_w_wcB

Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,307,947 times
Thanks for the thread, brokensky. I have to LOL because my chiropractor's office is named Abundant Life.

We've been garage sailing and parting out tractors for years on ebay and we love it. It was a weekend thing while we were working but it's a full time as we want it to be now.

Tinkering with the tractors keeps our auto tech skills up and also allows the parts we sell from them to be restored and treasured by our fellow Cub Cadet collectors.

We've always been frugal so we could pursue our interests. My parents were frugal even though they came from well to do families. It's what they were taught.

Never take anything for granted, every day is a gift. Live, don't just exist. Find your joy.
<3

Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
One tip: The Travel and Tourism website for states post an Events calendar (in addition to Attractions, Places To Stay, Things To Do and Restaurants). Some are one time events, some are annual and some are monthly or weekly. Many of them are free. In my state, you can practically hit an event every weekend without admission during the months between May and October. However, there may be parking costs for free events in some states so after you get the name and location of the event from the travel and tourism website for your state, do a separate search on the event to find a better description.

Most residents don't look at travel and tourism websites for their own states but that's where you'll find free event info for areas not far from where you live.

I'll give you examples with my state. My state is divided into 3 regions: East, West and Middle. Assuming I don't have a lot of money for gas and can't afford to stay overnight, I looked for free events only in East Tennessee in 2015 on the official Tennessee travel and tourism website. It's called Tennessee Vacation. Here's a sample of what I found just for March, April and May in East TN. (Also, since almost all of these free events are outdoors, you can bring your own food and drink, which will also save money.) There are even more events once the kids are out of school (and don't forget parades and fireworks) but this should give you a good idea of free things that could keep you busy every week. Just check your own state's travel and tourism website for events.

March:

Hike Rugby: (free) Morning and afternoon guided hikes on seven different trails will take you to early settler home sites and secluded places of recreation for the early colonists.

Spring Concert Johnson City: (free) Join the Johnson City Community Concert Band at the Visitors Center for a free concert featuring music selections with the band’s approximately 60 members.

Lake City Spring Wildflowers Hike: (free) Norris Dam State Park and TVA staff guided hikes.

April

Annual Rossini Festival Int’l Street Fair Knoxville (free) 10 Hours and 16 blocks. Multicultural music and dance performances on 5 outdoor stages featuring over 800 entertainers. Areas for children, culinary offerings, artisan exhibits and much more.

Free First Sunday Jazzanooga Chattanooga: (free) Day of gallery exploration, art making experiences for the kids and the annual Jazzanooga celebration with live jazz performances on the terraces by regional musicians plus free admission to Hunter Museum's permanent collection.

Dogwood Arts Festival Knoxville (free) Dogwood trails, live entertainment, and local craftspeople for a month-long extravaganza.

Music On The Square Spring Tune Up Jonesborough: (free) Tune Up in April. Held each Friday evening May through September in Jonesborough, TN, Music on the Square is Americana at its best, featuring live performances by local and regional bands, storytellers, poets, and performance artists.

Civil War Living History Encampment Russellville: (encampment events free) Join military and civilian re-enactors for a week-end of living history. Encampments, demonstrations, and a worship service are part of the event.

Smokey Mountain Fiber Arts Festival Townsend (General admission free, cost for classes.) The Festival will offer vendors marketplace; family activities; live animal displays; fiber arts demonstrations; and classes for beginners through advanced fiber enthusiasts.

Smoky Mountain Orchid Society Show and Sale Knoxville (free admission) Orchid growers will give tips on growing orchids in your home. Orchids on exhibit will be judged by the American Orchid Society.

Spring Planting Day Festival Oneida (free) The early settlers in the Big South Fork country relied on subsistence farming for survival. Each spring, the mules and horses were hooked to the plow and the fields tilled for the planting of crops. The day-long festival features plenty of events.

Tennessee Sesquicentennial Civil War Signature Event Knoxville: (free) Features educational symposiums, book signings, a Sesquicentennial Civil War exhibit offering rare and unique artifacts, musical presentations, tours of historic homes.

May

Clinch River Spring Antique Fair Clinton Over 90 exhibitors from East Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina and Ohio will offer a wide range of antiques and collectibles.

3 State/3 Mountain Challenge Chattanooga (free for viewers) Bicycle race (100 miles, 62 miles, 25 miles)

Skymart Car, Truck and Motorcycle Show Morristown (free for spectators). Outdoors family-friendly event also features music performances, dancers, and food vendors.

Children's Hospital Dragon Boat Festival (Chattanooga) (free) Teams race against each other for a friendly competition in 46-foot Hong Kong-style dragon boats. Cultural activities on land.

Annual Smoky Mountains Chevy Classics Show Pigeon Forge (free for spectators) Classic Chevy show cars on display. '50's music.

Cosby In The Park Cosby (free) Live entertainment, craft demonstrations, children’s programs and guided hikes.

Sunbelt Bakery Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga Triathalon (free to spectators) 1.2-mile swim in the Tennessee River, 56-mile bike ride and 13.1-mile run.

Wine On The Lawn at Hillside Winery Sevierville (free) live music, play games, sip wine. Bring lawn chair or blanket.

Chattanooga Beast Feast BBQ Festival at Chattanooga Market (free) Professional bar-b-que cook-off among the region’s best. Folks can enjoy a selection of various types of bar-b-que and vote on their favorite.

Don't forget, the above examples are events. There are also things to see where there is no admission charge. For example, all of my State Parks charge $0 to enter and $0 to park. Some have waterfalls and dams, rivers, lakes, mountains, fishing opportunities. There are always picnics. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park charges $0 admission. Sometimes the rangers in both the state and national parks offer free events or learning opportunities (wildlife, wildflowers, insects, hikes, etc.) All I'm saying is you don't have to sit at home. You just have to know these free things are out there and when they are scheduled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or