U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 02:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I have found our area has a great little "neighborhood" kind of website "Yardsale". Since I have retired, as I am clearing thru the house (still trying to downsize from 3,300 sq ft to 1900 st ft!) and get rid of things I thought were so darn important but realize now are not, you can make a tidy little income from those items on these "yardsale" sites!! Ours even has delivery/meet up parameters which is nice cause you can leave the house, meet up, and get rid of the stuff within 5 minutes!!! Check your area to see if they have one as well.

Also, bargin matinees and enjoying lunch out vs dinner seems to save a lot.

I have managed to figure out the time of the morning (0730) that is best to be at our local market for the meat markdowns by 25%. We are finding we eat at home MUCH more than when I worked and came home dog tired and did not have dinner planned.
I have joined some of our local "yardsale" groups on FB! I bought a rug from one of the members in the recent past. I am hoping to sell some furniture that way, too. Much nicer b/c you are dealing with folks online and not like someone "unknown" is showing up at the house, which is one reason I am a little reluctant to sell things on Craigslist.

As you mentioned, the way our "online yardsales" operate, we are to meet at an area location. One group had an incident that someone showed up, got the item and then drove off without paying for it. So now folks are often meeting at one of the police stations in the area (parking lot).

This is a much more appealing way for me to handle things.

Ugghhh - I relate with the downsizing. Trying to deal with going from about the same square footage as your home down to 1800 sq. ft. Hard decisions!!!! I could use any cash to offset the cost for help with moving!!!

Thank you for your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:34 AM

17,407 posts, read 21,249,654 times
Books, Movies, Clothes, Shoes, Underwear, Socks? Been buying all that from thrift stores for 40 years now and I'd even buy slightly used floss and toothbrushes, if it were available, just to save more money!

Since I'm going to have too much time on my hands, I will complain not if I have to wait a half hour or more at a bus stop to catch a bus with my senior bus pass!

Food? I've been an adventuresome, avid cook for 40 years now, always trying new recipes, and any recipe I try I make comments on its results in the cookbook. So I'll have yummy food to eat, whether I run under or over budget!

All savings directed to travel and bags of chocolate Lindt Truffles!

Old 03-11-2015, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Books, Movies, Clothes, Shoes, Underwear, Socks? Been buying all that from thrift stores for 40 years now and I'd even buy slightly used floss and toothbrushes, if it were available, just to save more money!

Since I'm going to have too much time on my hands, I will complain not if I have to wait a half hour or more at a bus stop to catch a bus with my senior bus pass!

Food? I've been an adventuresome, avid cook for 40 years now, always trying new recipes, and any recipe I try I make comments on its results in the cookbook. So I'll have yummy food to eat, whether I run under or over budget!

All savings directed to travel and bags of chocolate Lindt Truffles!
Hubby was out recently looking for T-shirts at Goodwill. Our local store often gets "seconds" from Hanes - and sell them for $1 each!

It isn't like we can't afford new T shirts . . . but why pay more when we can get the same thing for $1? I don't think some people understand that you dont' have to be indigent to want to get a bargain. I think you are very smart for allocating your funds as you have done. You are doing exactly what I am talking about -- finding ways to enjoy life while also living well and doing enjoyable things - on a budget.

So many folks are on very limited income and do not feel they have a way to set aside money for travel. It is amazing how a few dollars a week will add up in a year.

And I vote YES to the truffles, lololol.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:37 AM

17,407 posts, read 21,249,654 times
I've even taken Thrift Store vacations!

A couple of years ago, I went up to Salt Lake City, went to thrift stores for 3 days straight, from 9am-9pm and wished I had rented a van, instead of a car for that trip! 130 VHS tapes, 110 nonfiction books, mismatched dinner/glass ware, carpets, a winter jacket, towels, you name it! Backseat was crammed, and I had to sit on the car trunk to get it closed!

Another time, I hit Flagstaff and Sedona, hit every thrift store in the area, and hit 4 thrift stores in downtown Kingman on the way back to Las Vegas!

With the savings, let's call them free trips!

I have a great eye for designer label anything! Shoes? Always looking for those expensive shoes where the leather is so soft you can all but eat it!

Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 AM

4,484 posts, read 4,745,031 times
There is ABUNDANT info on here. Please check it out and enjoy the tips!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/

Old 03-11-2015, 06:16 AM

703 posts, read 796,876 times
I love the idea of a thrift store vacation!

Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 AM

753 posts, read 706,683 times
I love going to our local Goodwill, just need to make sure I have at least the hour plus to browse. I usually find an article of clothing that I need or a purse that I love and can't pass up. Last year I found a great leather purse for $1.99- received many compliments on it and it's starting to wear. So sad! Gotta get it to a shoe guy to repair the stitching but once that's done my $1.99 purse may end up costing me another $5 or so but worth it to me to have it longer.

Yesterday my treasure was another cute $1.99 leather purse as well as a nice straw bag for summer.

Last year also scored a small electric heater for $5- nice and compact, powerful enough for my needs and still going strong. Came in handy the last few months!

Clothing for me there is "iffy" at best (skirts and suits are usually too short as I am tall and dresses too small since I am NOT as size 10 LOL) but it's still worth my time to look for treasures.

I think it's genetic - my dad was a great one for stalking Goodwill and he always found the deals...

Old 03-11-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
There is ABUNDANT info on here. Please check it out and enjoy the tips!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/
Thank you!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I love the idea of a thrift store vacation!
I definitely stop in other areas while traveling and look at thrift/Goodwill stores. Hubby's healthcare team is out of town (medical center 3 1/2 hours away) and if he is feeling like it, he enjoys finding "treasures."

I have to share this story . . . hope you won't be bored.

My parents went to Scotland several years ago. Dad had talked and talked about getting a jacket made from the family's tartan. He had, in fact, studied info about our "clan" for many years and had located which specific area of the country our forefathers lived in and he was so excited to have a sports coat made in the tartan that represented our clan.

I didn't say anything but I knew that was a VERY expensive proposition. When my folks got back, my Dad dejectedly explained that having a jacket made was going to cost about $700 (or more!). So of course, he didn't get one made.

Several months later, he and my mom stopped by the Goodwill in an area of the state where a lot of very wealthy folks retire and play golf at a renowned club there. They love that Goodwill b/c they find designer items for pennies.

And as crazy as it sounds, someone must have died or gone to a nursing home - something extraordinary - because there on the racks were 7 jackets, all hand tailored, all with specialty tailoring labels in them, stating "Scottish wool from xxx" and the tailor's name. The jackets are simply beyond beautiful down to the leather or crested buttons. And they were a perfect fit! 40 R. He didn't have to hem the sleeves. And he got them for $5 a piece, lol.

No, there wasn't one for our specific "clan." But there were herringbones, various tweeds and in colors ranging from greys to blues to hunting green. My Dad matched them all up with pants over the years and he loves his jackets. Now, his grandsons are getting to the size where they can fit into his sports coats and every so often, one of the boys will ask to borrow a sports coat to wear to an event.

Never heard my Dad bemoan not getting his family tartan again. He felt he had been "gifted" a terrific consolation prize.

You just never know what you will find . . .

Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 AM

491 posts, read 598,360 times
I find Bountiful baskets helpful in keeping the grocery bill low and encouraging me to eat more fruits and veggies. I seemed to never have time to try new recipes when I was working and now I try to do at least one a week, sometimes more.

The local community concert series is good bang for my buck. As is the local theater group. One of the local high schools puts on excellent plays twice a year,for $5 an play.

I like scrap quilting,actually better than regular quilting. I have been on a mans shirt quilt bing lately. My favorite thrift store has a 25c rack which has yielded a lot o good material

I have been frugal mt whole life and have come to embrace the creativity it yields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or