U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Retirement advice: selling beach property, time to acclimate, community events

Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times

Advertisements

This is a thread for retired transplants to tell the folks back in their old state what they think about the state of affairs.
I will start:
Maryland is expensive and overbought. Housing is due for a major correction and the state is living on past equity being financed by future debt. The prospect for retirement grows dimmer as taxes increase and equity decreases. I truly hope all trying to sell are able to soon so they can move on with their goals and dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:41 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
Here's what I'd like to tell the people of Redondo Beach, CA (the last city I moved from):

1. Whatever you do, don't sell beach property. Hold onto it if at all possible. Biggest mistake I ever made was selling a townhouse within 1 mile of the ocean. Don't kid yourself that the bottom will fall out of the real estate market there. They'll have a momentary dip and then rise higher than ever. Even when the national economy sours, beach properties do well because there are plenty of people from all over the world who would love to snap up property near the California beaches.

2. If you decide to move some place that has four seasons, prepare to feel uncomfortable the first year. It takes a while to acclimate. But... the good news is that after a few years you will love having variety in your weather.
Also, if you are headed to a region that has lush green forests, be prepared to experience mosquitoes and poison ivy--they are a fact of life. Not to worry, this is another thing you learn to handle. But it will really bother you the first year or so.

3. People back east do not like to hug as much as Californians. That does not mean they are not friendly, they have a different way of showing friendliness. On the plus side, you will catch fewer colds.

4. The "California way" of doing things is great--but if you want to make friends, resist the urge to make suggestions. Chill out and learn how your new neighbors do things. Follow their lead. Volunteer to help out with community events, and do things the way people ask you to. After you have established yourself as a part of the community, then you can make suggestions on how to do things better. If you can just chill for a year or so you will find it much easier to make friends... and you might even learna thing or two.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:23 AM

382 posts, read 972,231 times
Mississisloppy -

Mosquitos are bigger than your dog.
Fire ants are rampant.
Taxes, taxes and more taxes to support those who make more gainfully unemployed than contributing to the tax base.
Good ole boys politics.
Pot holes.
The brunt of many jokes.
Many locations you must shoot your way in and then shoot your way out.
Great citizens, awesome scenery going to heck in a hand basket unless there are major changes. Ain't gonna happen tho' cause there is no profit in fixing it.

Well, that's enough for one post. AND, I haven't even left yet!!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,582,586 times
California: Now you want to control the thermostats in households? This among many other reasons, is why we left.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
HDL

3,141 posts, read 6,021,146 times
Thumbs up Great post Normie!!!

Very helpful and insightful too ! I have just started reading your 'retirement' posts and am really enjoying them. My dream, if I can ever retire , is to do volunteer work on an organic farm where I can share in the produce !

Anyways, I wish you the BEST life has to offer and thank you again for your sweet rep comment today !

Hugs,

~HDL~

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Here's what I'd like to tell the people of Redondo Beach, CA (the last city I moved from):

1. Whatever you do, don't sell beach property. Hold onto it if at all possible. Biggest mistake I ever made was selling a townhouse within 1 mile of the ocean. Don't kid yourself that the bottom will fall out of the real estate market there. They'll have a momentary dip and then rise higher than ever. Even when the national economy sours, beach properties do well because there are plenty of people from all over the world who would love to snap up property near the California beaches.

2. If you decide to move some place that has four seasons, prepare to feel uncomfortable the first year. It takes a while to acclimate. But... the good news is that after a few years you will love having variety in your weather.
Also, if you are headed to a region that has lush green forests, be prepared to experience mosquitoes and poison ivy--they are a fact of life. Not to worry, this is another thing you learn to handle. But it will really bother you the first year or so.

3. People back east do not like to hug as much as Californians. That does not mean they are not friendly, they have a different way of showing friendliness. On the plus side, you will catch fewer colds.

4. The "California way" of doing things is great--but if you want to make friends, resist the urge to make suggestions. Chill out and learn how your new neighbors do things. Follow their lead. Volunteer to help out with community events, and do things the way people ask you to. After you have established yourself as a part of the community, then you can make suggestions on how to do things better. If you can just chill for a year or so you will find it much easier to make friends... and you might even learna thing or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or