Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 AM

37 posts, read 85,675 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I thinking about moving from rural upstate NY to North Carolina. We are retired; early-mid 60's. We would be selling our house here and looking for an apartment there. We've heard good things about Burlington and we like its size and location between Durham and Greensboro (both of which seem too big for us). Mainly we're looking for safe, clean, not TOO close to a big interstate, not noisy, and with a really good (spacious) kitchen, either 2 or 3 bedroom, nice amenities, washer/dryer IN apartment, pet friendly. Can you recommend an apartment complex that might be a good fit for us?

We have looked into purchasing in 55+ communities in other areas of the state but they look kind of stodgy, with too many restrictions and HOA fees and regulations, (and too many old people!) so I am thinking that a 55+ place might not be our cup of tea -- we don't want to get old before our time!

Can you help?
Clarifying, my questions are:
(1) Opinions on Burlington, NC
(2) opinions on 55+ places (especially in NC)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:54 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Why Burlington? I was there a couple of years ago and I guess that all I really saw was fairly blighted with closed retail and the remnants of closed textile mills. To me, Greensboro would have been a more attractive option. We also liked the town of Belmont, NC that is close to Charlotte.

By the way, if you look into it, people in 55+ communities grow older much more slowly as they remain very active. My wife and I walk daily with an 85 year old lady who can keep a very brisk 3.5 mph pace.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:15 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
You should take this discussion to the appropriate North Carolina forum.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:30 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Also, keep in mind that overall cost of living may not be that much lower, if at all.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:47 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,457 times
I'd look in the Hillsborough area - smaller than Burlington, but with its fair share of amenities. Plus it's about 20 minutes to both Durham and Chapel Hill, which are loaded with entertainment, dining and cultural opportunities. I used to live in Chapel Hill, so I know the Triangle/Triad pretty well - and can say Burlington should be in the bottom part of your list, not the top. Southern Pines/Pinehurst might be viable as well, but are probably more expensive than Hillsborough.
Finally, Pittsboro, about 20 min. south of Chapel Hill, might be suitable. Same look and feel as Hillsborough - can't speak to house/apartment cost comparison, though.
One thing to consider wherever you are in that part of the state: if you're coming from a rural part of NY, someplace that's been stable over the years, NC could be challenging. One day you're driving past a hundred acres of farmland, then before you know it, the farm becomes "Andrews Farm Estates". The character of a lot of these places has changed dramatically over the last 10-15 years, and it's likely to continue. All I'm saying is: unless you move to a totally built-out area, don't sit on your front porch and say "it'll be like this forever."

Old 02-20-2015, 05:31 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, keep in mind that overall cost of living may not be that much lower, if at all.

Can you expand upon this and the reasons why.....I'm interested to know how moving from the Northeast (with highest property taxes, insurance, etc.) to NC, SC, GA , FL would not dramatically lower costs of living.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:44 AM

881 posts, read 765,547 times
I would not live in Burlington. It has declined a great deal in recent years. I also would check into the Hillsborough area. It is a very small but vibrant community - easily accessible to Raleigh and Durham. Another area you might consider is Jamestown - a small community between Greensboro and High Point. Mebane might also be worth looking at but with the new outlet mall, it has gotten very congested. But I would stay away from Burlington.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
Hubby and I thinking about moving from rural upstate NY to North Carolina. We are retired; early-mid 60's. We would be selling our house here and looking for an apartment there. We've heard good things about Burlington and we like its size and location between Durham and Greensboro (both of which seem too big for us). Mainly we're looking for safe, clean, not TOO close to a big interstate, not noisy, and with a really good (spacious) kitchen, either 2 or 3 bedroom, nice amenities, washer/dryer IN apartment, pet friendly. Can you recommend an apartment complex that might be a good fit for us?

We have looked into purchasing in 55+ communities in other areas of the state but they look kind of stodgy, with too many restrictions and HOA fees and regulations, (and too many old people!) so I am thinking that a 55+ place might not be our cup of tea -- we don't want to get old before our time!

Can you help?
Clarifying, my questions are:
(1) Opinions on Burlington, NC
(2) opinions on 55+ places (especially in NC)

Thanks!
I don't understand why people who live in a rural area would move South to be in a almost suburban area as you have suggested.

We moved from the very crowded central NJ to a very semi rural area of NC . Real rural is only minutes away.
We have quick access to everything any body could want, short of NYC shows, like a great medical facility, great parks, 90% of all the stores and chain restaurants you will ever want. We also have plenty of local owned shops and restaurants.

Gas station, 3.5 miles
Major grocery 7 miles
Hospital 10 miles
Major shopping 13 miles
Amtrak 13 miles
Airport 75 miles
Zero auto traffic
60,000 acre public game lands 10 min drive

Live is good without all the congestion.

We don't live here but it might be what you're looking for

Pinehurst Trace: Sandhills Living at its Best

Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Yes, you will get much more helpful and in-depth answers by posting this in one of the NC forums - Greensboro or possibly Raleigh (since it seems you are interested in both areas and places in between).

I can give you some info about Burlington and areas around it but nothing at all about rentals.

I would personally not be interested in Burlington. I would be more interested in nearby Elon, but the best housing is going to be pricey there.

Are you planning on renting until you get to know the region and then deciding where to buy?

NC is not the place you want to retire and live in an apartment forever. Better to look at a townhouse or condo if you want no lawn responsibilities.

Your price range for a home is what would determine where I would suggest you consider looking. Price does equate to better neighborhoods and as someone else mentioned, the landscape can change quickly in areas that are undeveloped or under-developed. I personally like buying in older fully established communities precisely for that reason.

Your criteria is only about housing - nothing about lifestyle. NC is full of delightful small communities, often within metro areas. There is no reason you should limit your consideration to Burlington when there are so many other communities that may be a better fit in that region of the state.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 AM

214 posts, read 401,739 times
Just a word of advice to be very careful if you are relocating to the Southeast.

Coal Ash Ponds of the Southeast

Federal charges filed against Duke Energy | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

http://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/...-at-dan-river/

Last edited by ILikeEveryone; 02-21-2015 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Additional Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement