U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:37 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,543,222 times

Advertisements

I still have a daily newspaper delivered to my door ... only because my mother, who is nearing 90, starts her morning every day with a cup of tea and the paper. Every time she tells me something she's read I could reply, "I know, I read that on the internet yesterday." But I don't even bother to say it anymore because she knows that's my answer.

The day my mother no longer reads the paper is the day it's cancelled. I was a reporter for a daily newspaper for several years of my life ... one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had. I admire good writing and depend on accurate reporting of the news so I can be an informed citizen. But I believe there are far more cost-effective and resource-friendly ways to deliver information than on huge sheets of paper brought to my door by a car.

All things must pass ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 PM

125 posts, read 198,984 times
Its one of the best simple pleasures for me going all the way back to when I was a teen. Now days with news accessible on computers and smart phones I still buy the paper version to enjoy especially sundays, but dont have it delivered. It has always been a great way to relax. For that reason I dont mind spending money for it.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,250,102 times
I get the paper delivered - I also like to read physical books - I come across articles in the paper that I might not have come across otherwise - I also am a Sudoku addict - GOT to have the physical thing to solve it. I like the diff. days that have diff. sections - I need to move but I am concerned about missing my paper!! (The Wash. Post) - I also have online access since I'm a subscriber but it's not the same.... My morning MUST consist of drinking my multiple cups of tea (I don't like coffee.... minority in itself) - and reading the paper.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:10 PM

3,363 posts, read 2,700,024 times
Neither me nor Mr. Pug are retired, but I've had the morning paper delivered for as long as I can remember. My morning must consist of coffee and the paper at the table, pencil in hand to do the cryptoquote and word scramble.

It's fully half USA Today now, however, and the price has gone up tremendously, with seemingly less content.

Part of the morning routine consists of our big pup Vito running out to fetch the paper and bringing it to me. He enjoys that job so much, it's certainly a big part of my decision to continue receiving it.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:45 PM

185 posts, read 141,001 times
Ah, an old fashioned real newspaper. Milk delivered to your door. Picture it? A classic Leave It To Beaver like neighborhood. Sweet, I think.

I swipe real newspapers from people (after they're done reading them). I have to say I like real tangible reading stuff because looking at a lighted screen for too long is irritating. I kind of use both. I have a habit of searching news article info on Google. Its actually for work. With the real paper, I can't easily highlight/copy/paste. But, I can grab that info online. I don't even need a subscription. Most papers are made up of articles that are taken from the Associated Press. They're all over the net.

Y'all know that newspapers only exist to display advertising space. The 'news' is just filler.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,715,501 times
I still like newspapers.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 PM

14,688 posts, read 8,472,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Neither me nor Mr. Pug are retired, but I've had the morning paper delivered for as long as I can remember. My morning must consist of coffee and the paper at the table, pencil in hand to do the cryptoquote and word scramble.

It's fully half USA Today now, however, and the price has gone up tremendously, with seemingly less content.

Part of the morning routine consists of our big pup Vito running out to fetch the paper and bringing it to me. He enjoys that job so much, it's certainly a big part of my decision to continue receiving it.
Awwww. How cute. If I could get my big fat Great Dane girl to fetch a paper for me, I might pony up the dough to subscribe as well. But I'm confused, Mrs. Pug. You and another poster mentioned getting your daily papers stuffed with USA Today. Do you mean your local papers are padded with the national news that you haven't subscribed to, and you really just want more news for your city? I have never heard of that happening. However, I have only subscribed to a paper briefly (being more of a scientific journal woman) and way back when, the paper was enormously huge, and I only got it on Sundays.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,003,770 times
We live in a small town, so we get ours every Tue and Fri. Plus OWH every day.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:33 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Newspaper

Yes, we still receive the paper.

I have fond memories of my dad and I sharing the paper - I remember doing it when I was 7. I enjoyed those mornings and felt brought into the adult world.

Years ago, my husband delivered the paper as a second job. He was out of college and had a good job but needed the income. He was always grateful for that job.

I find I miss things online that I see in the printed paper.

I know my husband loves the editorials and columnists and the comics (LOL).

Old 03-13-2015, 09:38 PM

23,556 posts, read 17,535,380 times
I received the WSJ at home for a couple of years. Once the first iPad came out, I canceled the subscription. I don't like the clutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or