U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,705,308 times

Advertisements

I still get the newspaper delivered. I also get news from online and the TV, but the newspaper is still my favorite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:57 PM

1,515 posts, read 967,241 times
Sunday morning only.

Growing up, my parents always subscribed to either and at times both local papers, one with Monday through Saturday morning delivery and the other with Monday through Friday late afternoon plus Sunday morning delivery.

Now, my young daughter loves pouring over the Sunday comics in print while we look at other sections over coffee.

Most news comes from NPR and internet (I quit TV news - local and national - decades ago).

Old 03-13-2015, 11:52 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,329,537 times
Los Angeles Times - home delivery and online.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:09 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,307,947 times
the Glens Falls Post Star on the weekends. Love those coupons!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2015, 06:26 AM

6,353 posts, read 7,833,116 times
I read a newspaper every day from the age of 14, after being required to read it for "current events" in school. There was such a wealth of information and I was inspired to pursue a career in journalism. Life had other ideas and I didn't succeed in that aspiration, but I didn't give up the paper. After retirement, the paper was often the highlight of my day.

The cost became prohibitive and I decided to end my subscription. That didn't last long because a letter to the new publisher (he had previously been affiliated with the paper but had moved on) resulted in a gift subscription. Then the paper was once again sold to an out-of-town group who seemed to be in the business of just buying papers, and changed the lay-out; the personnel; the way local news was treated; just a general feeling that they knew what we wanted (0r perhaps didn't care what we wanted), and I gave up the daily paper.

I miss the obits, and the Times crossword, and the coupons, and the betrothal/wedding announcements. I miss the op-ed page and the columnists I've alternately agreed with and railed at. I miss the hard news, although the new regime hasn't given us much of that. All of this is available on the 'net, but it isn't the same as actually holding the paper in my hands.

The media has become a joke. They would rather tell us about the Kardashians, or the sleazy affair of some politician, or what Hollywood star is sleeping with what other "personality". I guess it's a matter of "give the people what they want."

LSS: I no longer get the paper.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,147,686 times
I'm told that when I was an infant, my dad would read the daily paper out loud while holding me. I still enjoy getting the paper off the porch every morning. The carrier puts it right by the door and she's the first on my Christmas list each year.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:19 AM

2,601 posts, read 1,231,928 times
My mother still gets our local newspaper delivered to her. She is almost eighty-one, and she has a great newspaper lady who drives up into her driveway and leaves the paper on her front porch so she just has to open the door to get the paper each morning. Mom always remembers the newspaper lady first, too, when it comes Christmas time.

Mom then saves the papers for my husband and me. We don't need them since we read the news online, but it makes Mom happy to think she's paying for the paper for us. We just take them, thank her, and recycle them.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:58 AM

157 posts, read 149,676 times
Growing up, my family always got a home-delivered morning and afternoon newspaper. My stepmother still does.

Yes, we still subscribe to a daily home-delivered newspaper, the local San Diego Union-Tribune, a pretty good paper with an unfortunately/pathetically/ridiculously reactionary editorial position. And we get the Sunday NYT. (A year ago they opined that George W was one of the all-time 5 best U.S. presidents and that Obama was one of the all-time worst . . . )

All my family members and friends in our demographic, the 60s, still get daily newspapers. Seems to be a simple demographic thing. Back when I was finishing my teaching career, I gradually noticed that all the younger teachers did not get, did not even read, newspapers. At first, I was stunned.

But, of course, the whole industry, along with magazines, seems to be dying. Like many other posters have said, it's just one of the simple pleasures in life--reading the daily paper with a cup of coffee.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 AM

157 posts, read 149,676 times
Oh no! Quick correction: the Union-Tribune, NOT the New York Times, made the insane statements about our last two presidents!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:06 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,705,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Awwww. How cute. If I could get my big fat Great Dane girl to fetch a paper for me, I might pony up the dough to subscribe as well. But I'm confused, Mrs. Pug. You and another poster mentioned getting your daily papers stuffed with USA Today. Do you mean your local papers are padded with the national news that you haven't subscribed to, and you really just want more news for your city? I have never heard of that happening. However, I have only subscribed to a paper briefly (being more of a scientific journal woman) and way back when, the paper was enormously huge, and I only got it on Sundays.
Our "local" paper is a Gannett publication. At some point in the last couplr of years either Gannett purchased USA Today, vice versa, or the merged.....so yes, the entire center section is directly from USA Today. The local content is just very small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or