U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM

37,088 posts, read 45,594,679 times

Advertisements

So far, we get it every day, delivered to a puddle in the driveway. We enjoy reading it, but it is rather expensive for a small paper and then we have to pay to have it hauled away. I can see a time in the future when we'll just say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 12:20 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
I would like to but subscriptions cost too much. When I lived in Portland though I always picked up the free paper that had no adverts just really good reporting. It came out twice a week. It was a great paper that won awards for the best independent news paper in the country.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:24 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't read our newspaper at all anymore. Our huge city used to have two city newspapers, and when it did, the quality of the larger one was much better. When it bought out the smaller one, the quality diminished. Now it's pretty bad, and the cost to subscribe is ridiculous. Reading it online doesn't cost anything, nor does watching the news on TV, so it's not worth it.

I wonder if your newspapers were the same as mine. I used to subscribe to the Chronicle and the Post. I enjoyed comparing the different writing styles on the same stories. Then the Chronicle bought out the Post with absolutely no notice -- one day the Post was delivered to my house and the next day it wasnt. No goodbye issue or anything else. I'm not an emotional person but I was so upset about the way the buy-out was handled that I cancelled my subscription. Shortly thereafter I bought a computer and have just read the news online ever since.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM

14,255 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Our "local" paper is a Gannett publication. At some point in the last couplr of years either Gannett purchased USA Today, vice versa, or the merged.....so yes, the entire center section is directly from USA Today. The local content is just very small.

Gannett developed the USA TODAY after it owned a significant number of newspapers.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
Nope, we read the Boston Globe on line but we still pick up the Sunday edition. It's not Sunday without the bulky newspaper and the crossword puzzle.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:18 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,543,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would like to but subscriptions cost too much. When I lived in Portland though I always picked up the free paper that had no adverts just really good reporting. It came out twice a week. It was a great paper that won awards for the best independent news paper in the country.
A free newspaper with no advertising and good reporting? What millionaire was donating that to the community?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:25 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Our "local" paper is a Gannett publication. At some point in the last couplr of years either Gannett purchased USA Today, vice versa, or the merged.....so yes, the entire center section is directly from USA Today. The local content is just very small.
The same happened with our local paper. Started getting "USA Today" inserts last year, I think.

I get the paper on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm thinking of just cancelling. Half the time I read maybe 10 minutes of it, then I pass it to the neighbor who is a coupon freak (and too cheap to get her own paper!)

Old 03-15-2015, 03:23 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,535,380 times
The biggest challenges for newspaper is that so much news is now free and it's often more current than what you see in the papers.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:28 PM

5,392 posts, read 21,385,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I wonder if your newspapers were the same as mine. I used to subscribe to the Chronicle and the Post. I enjoyed comparing the different writing styles on the same stories. Then the Chronicle bought out the Post with absolutely no notice -- one day the Post was delivered to my house and the next day it wasnt. No goodbye issue or anything else. I'm not an emotional person but I was so upset about the way the buy-out was handled that I cancelled my subscription. Shortly thereafter I bought a computer and have just read the news online ever since.
Years ago I lived in Dallas and on occasion compared the News and the Herald (long gone) and it was amazing that reporting on the same story would have very different facts. And of course there was different editorial outlooks. I swear there were days that it looked like the papers were from different cities.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:38 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Years ago I lived in Dallas and on occasion compared the News and the Herald (long gone) and it was amazing that reporting on the same story would have very different facts. And of course there was different editorial outlooks. I swear there were days that it looked like the papers were from different cities.

Same with me and the Houston Chronicle and the long-gone Houston Post. I still compare the three local online news sites' articles about the same event and find so many differences in facts and, in some cases, political slants.

I really like the physical connection with books/magazines/newspapers. I enjoy holding them when I read. I like feeling the pages, turning them and being able to turn back a page or two (or a chapter) to clarify something in my mind. That's why I dont use eReaders. I read a lot on my desktop but I dont enjoy it as much as having/touching the real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or