U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times

Advertisements

I still get the Los Angeles Times delivered, which marks me as old-fashioned I suppose, but I really like it. One facet of that is the movie listings. With the paper I can check the different places a movie is playing and get the schedules just by turning a few pages in the section of the paper where the movie ads are. But if I go online to do the same thing, it involves going from website to website of the various movie chains (or website to website of different movies), which I find more inconvenient and more of a hassle.

But I am on the losing end of things and the handwriting is on the wall; within the last couple of years two major Los Angeles cinema chains have stopped their listings in the paper, I would assume on the grounds of saving money. I would also assume their reasoning is that fewer and fewer people get a print newspaper these days, and they are certainly correct about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:43 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,782,163 times
Default me, too.

I prefer to read the news. I can read the things that interest me and skip over those that don't. Unlike the tv news where youre bombarded by bad news and things you dont care about.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:24 AM

19,778 posts, read 19,880,941 times
There's a limited, Fri, Sat, Sun edition that includes full week digital as well as the online Washington Post.
The main reasons are for the Sunday Times crossword, local grocery store ads and coupon inserts and events calendar.
Apropos to the frugal threads, the coupons generally offset the subscription price.
Sitting at the computer just doesn't provide the enjoyment in the same way.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 AM

11,032 posts, read 6,194,296 times
Only 1 of us is retired at the present time. I subscribe to the local paper for digital subscription. It allows me to view online. On Sat, Mr C gets the Wash Post (we do crossword puzzle) and the local paper for Sunday is delivered to the house. Not exactly on doorstop. We have an open slot under the mailbox where it goes 99.9% of the time or somewhere on the front yard.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
We do. Biscuitpop prefers the print edition. I expect him to fully phase to digital within the next 2-3 years. We're on the road as much as we're at home and he's becoming increasingly ok with the digital edition.

I don't read either the print or digital edition of our local paper. It's a good publication but for the most part I'm over the "news" as such.

I use Fandango on my iPhone for movie listings, it's way superior to anything print can provide. There's no need to go from "website to website" as you mention, you just plug in the movie you want to see and poof! there are all the showings within a specified radius. Alternatively you can pull up all the local theaters and see what's showing within the specified radius, then choose what movie you want to see. Then you can click on reviews and also buy the tickets online.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 03-13-2015 at 04:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 05:11 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
We always had a daily paper delivered until it started coming after I left for work in my last year. I liked to read it with my coffee before leaving for work. The papers were piling up and not being read when I got home from work so I cancelled my subscription of 28 years.

Now I watch the news first thing in the morning on TV, read some online and while in FL I get a local paper delivered on Wednesay and Saturdays only , the coupons pay for the price most weeks. The news is local and most of the stories I've read already on a local social media site.

My other issue with newspapers is that aome years back, a switch was made to the ink used that requires I wash my hands before touching anything.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:03 AM

753 posts, read 705,976 times
When we moved several years ago the area we landed in didn't have a daily paper just twice per week, so we went with that since we were new to the area etc. Over the last 2 years I have wanted to cancel since I could get it all online, but hubby enjoyed having a print version to hold in his hand. He is gone now so I am waiting for the subscription to run out, and I won't be renewing since it's wasted on me. I glance at it, then recycle it.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
I like reading the local weekly paper for soft news. For daily national/international, I go online and can read selectively much more rapidly. Many daily print newspapers are not well designed, with a jumble of trivia in with important news so I dislike reading them. The Sunday editions of the Globe and NYT are a good read.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:12 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,632,731 times
I read the NYTimes online, and glance at the online headlines of some other newspapers. When I first moved to central FL last year I signed up for delivery of the Orlando newspaper only because my subscription benefited a local high school's athletic teams. I almost never read the paper, though -- it usually goes directly into the recycling bin -- and I'm not renewing the subscription.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:26 AM

14,686 posts, read 8,472,440 times
I don't read our newspaper at all anymore. Our huge city used to have two city newspapers, and when it did, the quality of the larger one was much better. When it bought out the smaller one, the quality diminished. Now it's pretty bad, and the cost to subscribe is ridiculous. Reading it online doesn't cost anything, nor does watching the news on TV, so it's not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or