U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2015, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,981 posts, read 3,470,444 times
Reputation: 10513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
well I'm a house ridden senior and have a problem walking or standing and I don't have a TV or visitors so I am on the computer almost every waking hour. However only about half of it and some days not at all, is that Internet time.
My hobby is 3d modelling,drafting and graphics - plus I watch a lot of documentaries, debates and surf anywhere my interests take me. ...and I recently found this website that thats fills the time. So I would say about 14 hours a day - every day for the last 10 years. Previous to that it was website design and teaching computer classes.
In fact I would say computers have taken at least half or two thirds of my waking hours since 1975.
Jerry,
I'm disabled to the point of not being able to walk a lot or do a lot of what I used to. I alsospend a lot of time my laptop, but mostly in my easy chair. I don't know your background nor do u no mine but I'd like o be friends. I'm also a senior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2015, 12:04 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,605 posts, read 3,684,120 times
Reputation: 12417
Way too much - to the detriment of just about everything else, it seems. it's the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do at night. I'm guessing 6 hours minimum and sometimes 8-9 hours. Not all is wasted time since I can pay bills and check the daily news and market changes...but a lot is frittering time away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,623 posts, read 9,696,398 times
Reputation: 11007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Way too much - to the detriment of just about everything else, it seems. it's the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do at night. I'm guessing 6 hours minimum and sometimes 8-9 hours. Not all is wasted time since I can pay bills and check the daily news and market changes...but a lot is frittering time away.
But don't we sometimes learn much in our "frittering"? I know I do. I have probably looked up info on more states and cities than I ever thought I'd have any interest in. Mostly out of curiosity. When I see an interesting topic with a link elsewhere I find that it will lead to a bunch of other links! lol I can get caught up following links but I learn a lot and it's interesting. So I consider my "frittering" to be educational and mind broadening. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,264 posts, read 3,030,249 times
Reputation: 9599
I guess about 4 or 5 hours a day including emails. I don't own or need a cell phone. I have a Kindle Fire, but it just sits on the shelf. TV has deteriorated so much that I don't watch it more than once a week. I have avoided social media because I don't want to be spending more time on the computer.

I have a hand-me-down desktop that I connected to display on the living room TV. It has a web cam and we can Skype with it while sitting in an easy chair. I need to become more proficient with it. We live in Florida and our kids are in the pacific northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 PM
 
10,819 posts, read 8,075,211 times
Reputation: 17034
4-6 hours a day but that includes activities such as reading our local newspaper online, my daily spiritual reading and practice, journaling, financial transactions, running an online book group, following local government meetings, monitoring and logging nutrition and exercise, keeping up with our large extended family on social media, planning/arranging travel (we're on the road more than we're at home), genealogy research, and watching TV and movies on Amazon and Netflix.

I travel as much as I stay at home and lately I've found I can get by for 2-3 weeks with just my iPhone for everything above with the exception of watching tv/movies and for that I need my Chromebook or Kindle Fire, the Fire works best because I can download movies and TV episodes and don't depend upon internet access (full disclosure: my "baby" Kindle aka Basic Kindle loaded with books also goes everywhere I go, but I'm reading books and am not online so it doesn't count for this thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,881 posts, read 18,894,234 times
Reputation: 33803
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
4-6 hours a day but that includes activities such as reading our local newspaper online, my daily spiritual reading and practice, journaling, financial transactions, running an online book group, following local government meetings, monitoring and logging nutrition and exercise, keeping up with our large extended family on social media, planning/arranging travel (we're on the road more than we're at home), genealogy research, and watching TV and movies on Amazon and Netflix.

I travel as much as I stay at home and lately I've found I can get by for 2-3 weeks with just my iPhone for everything above with the exception of watching tv/movies and for that I need my Chromebook or Kindle Fire, the Fire works best because I can download movies and TV episodes and don't depend upon internet access (full disclosure: my "baby" Kindle aka Basic Kindle loaded with books also goes everywhere I go, but I'm reading books and am not online so it doesn't count for this thread).
Like most others here, probably too much time. It's the first thing I do in the morning while drinking coffee. I read the local newspaper online, then I check my email, then I check in here for a while--and whether you're a mod or not, you can really get stuck in here for a long time--then I check my ebay sales to see if I sold anything. If so, I have to print a label online. Of course, there may be phone numbers to look up or medical conditions to research, maybe travel information or restaurant hours.

Sometimes it seems that I cycle round and round with email--CD--ebay--research---email--CD, etc.

It was a relief in January while traveling and not having internet access to realize that I didn't miss it. I worried about ebay a little bit and about not being able to pay my bills in time but that was about it.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 AM
 
10,819 posts, read 8,075,211 times
Reputation: 17034
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It was a relief in January while traveling and not having internet access to realize that I didn't miss it. I worried about ebay a little bit and about not being able to pay my bills in time but that was about it.
For the most part we only travel in the US and quite frankly I'd curl up and die without internet or cell access for more than, say, 24 hours. I'd miss, in this order: (1) my daily spiritual reading and practice (2) being out of range of family, in case of emergency (3) being out of range of our pet and house sitter, in case of emergency. Luckily that's so far never happened. The closest we've come is in Big Bend National Park where neither internet nor cell worked in our room but we were able to connect in the restaurant which was a few hundred yards away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,605 posts, read 3,684,120 times
Reputation: 12417
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
But don't we sometimes learn much in our "frittering"? I know I do. I have probably looked up info on more states and cities than I ever thought I'd have any interest in. Mostly out of curiosity. When I see an interesting topic with a link elsewhere I find that it will lead to a bunch of other links! lol I can get caught up following links but I learn a lot and it's interesting. So I consider my "frittering" to be educational and mind broadening. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah -- I'm great at Trivia Night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,623 posts, read 9,696,398 times
Reputation: 11007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Yeah -- I'm great at Trivia Night.
I used to be! It's been years since I played though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top