U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2015, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Idaho
1,455 posts, read 1,156,015 times
Reputation: 5500

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
Since then, l carry the number written in code in my wallet.
I assume that you had found ways to make it is less obvious that the code is for your ATM card. I had 'blanked' out few times in the pass trying to remember a password or an ATM code in the past especially when I had not used them for a long time. Sometimes, it took few minutes to retrieve the information from my foggy memory bank. Sometimes I had to use the 'don't remember username or password' option! So I had to find a way to address this problem.

I keep a list of password around but I convert or code the letter or number to people/pet name or event which I am certain that I can remember. For example, I replace the month or number representing month (04, 12 etc) to the name of the person with birthday in that month. Every so often, I use my pet's name as part of the password but in my code, I replace the real name with the nick name. We have a nick name for each of the dogs that we had owned based on their personality or antics: wolf, stupid, terror etc ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2015, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,788 posts, read 4,841,461 times
Reputation: 19479
Another possible cause for what APPEARS to be dementia but isn't could be a UTI or bladder infection, or even a B12 deficiency. Both are known causes of temporary cognitive problems. These are things that should be checked and eliminated before assuming it is some form of dementia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 08:19 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 7,309,402 times
Reputation: 6406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I think my husband is in the early stages of Dementia. Too many things to list here that makes me think that so can some of you let me know what to look for ? Thank you
If it's in its early stages, your husband should have enough self-awareness to discuss the problems with you. You might also look at the different prescriptions he's taking to see if he's taking some that could be having an effect, such as statins or sleep medicines with acetaminophen. When my mom had falls, the ER took scans to rule out strokes, tumors, and alzheimer's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Surf City, NC
364 posts, read 553,294 times
Reputation: 946
I have a code I use for all numbers that a friend taught me years ago. You choose a 10 letter word that doesn't repeat any letters, there are thousands of them, choose one, say "bawdyhouse," but keep it to yourself. Assign 0-9 or 1-0 to the letters of the word. So the 4 numbers become four apparently random letters.

Last edited by Johanna25; 03-15-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 01:02 PM
 
248 posts, read 267,698 times
Reputation: 1043
That 'forgetting words' thing can be simply age-related, it depends on how bad it is, how advanced the problem may be. May I suggest supplementing with coconut oil (or coconut manna, which is just crushed coconut meat, can be sweetened with a bit of stevia and will then taste like an Almond Joy, yum) and lecithin capsules which are available over the counter. Pregnenolone is something to look into also; it's a neurohormone and as it diminishes in production in the brain, lots of these kind of problems come out. I take all three and I wouldn't be without them; at 61, I'm far more 'awake and alert' than I was at 50 when I started getting pretty ditzy. My female relatives, all of whom poo-poo supplements, have gone on to full blown dementia now and are unable to talk about anything more complicated than pleasantries. The younger ones are hopelessly shallow, the older ones are brain dead. If you do supplement, you'll notice the difference in mere days. Make sure all the vitamins are well supplemented also, the Bs (large doses) and D3 especially. Most Americans are dangerously low on that unless you live in a very sunny climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 03:27 PM
 
1,974 posts, read 2,724,848 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
That 'forgetting words' thing can be simply age-related, it depends on how bad it is, how advanced the problem may be. May I suggest supplementing with coconut oil (or coconut manna, which is just crushed coconut meat, can be sweetened with a bit of stevia and will then taste like an Almond Joy, yum) and lecithin capsules which are available over the counter. Pregnenolone is something to look into also; it's a neurohormone and as it diminishes in production in the brain, lots of these kind of problems come out. I take all three and I wouldn't be without them; at 61, I'm far more 'awake and alert' than I was at 50 when I started getting pretty ditzy. My female relatives, all of whom poo-poo supplements, have gone on to full blown dementia now and are unable to talk about anything more complicated than pleasantries. The younger ones are hopelessly shallow, the older ones are brain dead. If you do supplement, you'll notice the difference in mere days. Make sure all the vitamins are well supplemented also, the Bs (large doses) and D3 especially. Most Americans are dangerously low on that unless you live in a very sunny climate.
Just FYI (this is why I couldn't take it): Please don't take Pregnenolone if you have a hormone-sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids. Pregnenolone is converted by the body to estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, donít take it.

There is plenty of info on re the above on the Internet.

We really need to do our own extensive research before we start taking anything. [My MD wanted to put me on a diuretic. After I looked at the insert and did other research on the Internet, there wasn't a snowball's chance in the hot place that I was going to take this med. After I presented my research to my MD, she decided she wouldn't take it either. :-)]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
21,881 posts, read 14,390,517 times
Reputation: 30775
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I think my husband is in the early stages of Dementia. Too many things to list here that makes me think that so can some of you let me know what to look for ? Thank you
If your husband has dementia, you need a diagnosis. Take him to his doc, or a geriatrician and have him tested. The doctor will be able to tell. Not all dementia is Alzheimers. Sometimes people have symptoms because of a UTI or even because of dehydration. Or there is some other condition that is causing it. That is why you need a diagnosis.

Also, you need to know what steps you will need to take in the coming months and years. For help I recommend contacting the Alzheimers' Association:

Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia | Alzheimer's Association

24/7 Helpline: 1.800.272.3900

On the home page you can enter your zip code to find a local chapter.

You need to know how to cope and what to expect. These people are compassionate and knowledgeable. I'd get that doc appointment for your husband, and then I'd call the Alzheimers help line and ask where to find info and help.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 AM
 
676 posts, read 745,984 times
Reputation: 403
Our family doctor thinks maybe my husband has fluid on his brain. His symptoms match when I looked it up. Hydrocephalus, or just water on the brain. It can be cause by head trauma and he has had a lot of that through the years with car accidents and working with cattle. Will let you know. Does anyone have this condition? I guess this should be in the health forum but this is where I started this forum. Thanks,

Last edited by tarajane2013; 03-18-2015 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 12:44 PM
 
1,974 posts, read 2,724,848 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Our family doctor thinks maybe my husband has fluid on his brain. His symptoms match when I looked it up. Hydrocephalus, or just water on the brain. It can be cause by head trauma and he has had a lot of that through the years with car accidents and working with cattle. Will let you know. Does anyone have this condition? I guess this should be in the health forum but this is where I started this forum. Thanks,
I'm sure you must have seen this, but if not, just in case:

AANS - Adult Onset Hydrocephalus

It's not all bad, not at all.

I wish you and your hubby many more good years!

Fran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 06:26 AM
 
676 posts, read 745,984 times
Reputation: 403
WOW, I really never knew a condition like that existed. Thank you so much. No wonder my poor husband couldn't go up even one step, it was like his foot was just not going up any higher so he could clear the step. God Bless you, Fran 66
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top